Apparent Priest Suicide
Please pray for the repose of the soul of Fr. Evan Harkins. He loved the traditional Mass and worked to promulgate it within the diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph.

https://kcsjcatholic.org/2020/01/statement-harkins/
Filioli mei, non diligamus verbo neque lingua, sed opere et veritate.

Vos omnes amatores pulcherrimae linguae ecclesiae nostrae, videte filum quo de rebus sanctis profanisque colloqui possumus.
Pray Pray Pray
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
Pray Pater Pray Ave Pray Requiem
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • HailGilbert
Sorry to hear that. While I'm not an RC my sincere prayers for his repose. The darkness and hopelessness that led to this must have been severe.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
(01-28-2020, 08:09 PM)Filiolus Wrote: Please pray for the repose of the soul of Fr. Evan Harkins. He loved the traditional Mass and worked to promulgate it within the diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph.

https://kcsjcatholic.org/2020/01/statement-harkins/

It's good and right that suicide cases get a Catholic Funeral and are prayed for, since we cannot know for sure whether they were framed or not, but if he did kill himself, then best case scenario is purgatory if 'severe' mitigating factors are involved, and especially as a Priest, It's dying in Mortal Sin and the Priesthood is a double edged sword because of the graces given. How we die determines our final destination, which is what makes it so scary, and why last rites and death bed conversions are so important and miraculous. If one can lead a bad life and be saved moments before death, one can also lead a good life and be condemned moments before death, which is a scary thought and why we must always be on guard.

I wanted to say this and they should do so at funerals of those who've committed suicide, because they must know that it's not a way out and for those who may be attacked with depressive and suicidal thoughts to say "Begone Satan, do not suggest to me thy vanities, evil are the things thou profess, drink thou thy own poison."

Judas would have become St Judas had he not committed suicide and turned to Christ for forgiveness.

"For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."
Jesus to St Faustina:

"For you I descended from heaven to earth; for you I allowed myself to be nailed to the cross; for you I let my Sacred Heart be pierced with a lance, thus opening wide the source of mercy for you. Come, then, with trust to draw graces from this fountain. I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

"Remember My Passion, and if you do not believe My words, at least believe My wounds." (Diary, 379)

"It is in My Passion that you must seek light and strength." (Diary, 654)
I remember an FSSP priest — who’s very orthodox — recalling a story about a woman who despaired about her son throwing himself off a bridge and killing himself.
If I remember correctly, she had gone to Church, and was pouring out her heart to someone. (I don’t believe it was in a confessional).
Anyway, a priest apparently overheard the woman, and told her something to the effect of “Ma’am, from the time your son fell from the bridge and died, he made a perfect act of contrition, and saved his soul”.

THAT is the mind of a true Catholic. Condemning everyone is not Catholic. Condemning sins, sure. Condemning people? No. We need to give others the benefit of the doubt.

Also, and this is a perfectly Traditional Catholic teaching: God is not bound by time.

We can pray that those that HAVE ALREADY DIED, that, at the time of their death, that they had sufficient  grace to have saved their soul at their death. 

If we’re fantasizing and enjoying the idea of sinners being condemned, that isn’t holiness. That’s the spirit of a demon that wants to see humans destroy themselves. Don’t get me wrong here, suicide is a gravely evil act, but it’s also an area where serious caution needs to be exercised, in that we don’t render some private verdict on the person.
[-] The following 3 users Like FultonFan's post:
  • Credidi Propter, Filiolus, newenglandsun
(01-30-2020, 12:40 PM)FultonFan Wrote: “Ma’am, from the time your son fell from the bridge and died, he made a perfect act of contrition, and saved his soul”.

So he lied? .....Unless he had some kind of private revelation.....

(01-30-2020, 12:40 PM)FultonFan Wrote: THAT is the mind of a true Catholic. Condemning everyone is not Catholic. Condemning sins, sure. Condemning people? No. We need to give others the benefit of the doubt.

We pray for purgatory, but there is no denying that they die in a state of mortal sin when committing suicide. People need to know that, for if we tell feel good stories, then it tells others who may be contemplating it that suicide is a way out, when it is clearly not.

(01-30-2020, 12:40 PM)FultonFan Wrote: Also, and this is a perfectly Traditional Catholic teaching: God is not bound by time.

Of course, but when we die, our state than becomes eternal, hence why dying in mortal sin is so dire and we pray for purgatory in case there were 'severe' mitigating factors, we also pray for them anyway because we don't know whether or not they were framed.

(01-30-2020, 12:40 PM)FultonFan Wrote: We can pray that those that HAVE ALREADY DIED, that, at the time of their death, that they had sufficient  grace to have saved their soul at their death.

We can, but it also must be understood that this is a huge leap, we can pray by some miracle we survive jumping out of a plane with a failed parachute and no backup, who knows, maybe, but realistically this is not the case, that would be a rare exception; not the rule. People should be aware and do their best not to get themselves in such a situation in the first place.

(01-30-2020, 12:40 PM)FultonFan Wrote: If we’re fantasizing and enjoying the idea of sinners being condemned, that isn’t holiness. That’s the spirit of a demon that wants to see humans destroy themselves. Don’t get me wrong here, suicide is a gravely evil act, but it’s also an area where serious caution needs to be exercised, in that we don’t render some private verdict on the person.

'Serious caution' is what is killing people, for when someone commits suicide, it leads as an example to others, and when everyone says good things than it tells them too that it may be a way out for them when it is clearly not. We don't condemn them, for we cannot know, but we do know that they died in Mortal Sin and their outlook is dire. We don't know if they were framed or not so we pray for them and we don't know if there were severe mitigating factors that could be cause for mercy and purgatory so we pray for them.

God Bless You
Jesus to St Faustina:

"For you I descended from heaven to earth; for you I allowed myself to be nailed to the cross; for you I let my Sacred Heart be pierced with a lance, thus opening wide the source of mercy for you. Come, then, with trust to draw graces from this fountain. I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

"Remember My Passion, and if you do not believe My words, at least believe My wounds." (Diary, 379)

Josh, your comments are wrong, unnecessary, and offensive.

If he died in a state of mortal sin he went to hell. Since you admit we can't know whether he is in hell or not, you can't also believe that you know he died in a state of mortal sin.

Your comments imply that someone here is in need of catechesis or is celebrating that Fr. Harkins is no longer in pain or some other saccharine crap. If you reread the posts, I think you'll find that nothing of the sort has occurred. In fact, the only point of this thread was to ask for prayers for someone who clearly needs them. You coming in here to say "sorry, he's probably in hell" is just rubbing salt in the wound. If you can't leave your post at a "pater" or "ave" just don't post at all.
Filioli mei, non diligamus verbo neque lingua, sed opere et veritate.

Vos omnes amatores pulcherrimae linguae ecclesiae nostrae, videte filum quo de rebus sanctis profanisque colloqui possumus.
[-] The following 5 users Like Filiolus's post:
  • Credidi Propter, Dominicana, HailGilbert, Ioannes_L, jovan66102
(01-30-2020, 09:00 PM)Filiolus Wrote: Josh, your comments are wrong, unnecessary, and offensive.

Which is why I need to say it, because otherwise it's treated just like a normal death when it is not and will feed into others who may be flirting or tempted with suicide/euthanasia too.

Catholic Funeral (correct) but than everyone not wanting to be wrong, unnecessary or offensive saying they are at peace etc etc feeds right into it. By pointing out the seriousness of it, we not only pray twice as much for this Priest who committed suicide and very much needs prayers considering the state of his soul at the hour of death, but also makes clear to anyone contemplating suicide or euthanasia that it's not a way out or free pass, they put their souls in grave danger and people must be aware of that.

(01-30-2020, 09:00 PM)Filiolus Wrote: Your comments imply that someone here is in need of catechesis or is celebrating that Fr. Harkins is no longer in pain or some other saccharine crap.

No, but people will read this, they need to be aware that we pray extra hard for this Priest, because not only was he a Priest and shepherd to the flock, but the fact that he witnessed committing suicide means that his soul is in grave danger and anyone else reading about this who may be tempted to follow suit with suicide/euthanasia will likewise be putting their souls in grave danger too.

God Bless You
Jesus to St Faustina:

(01-31-2020, 01:35 AM)josh987654321 Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 09:00 PM)Filiolus Wrote: Josh, your comments are wrong, unnecessary, and offensive.

Which is why I need to say it, because otherwise it's treated just like a normal death when it is not and will feed into others who may be flirting or tempted with suicide/euthanasia too.

Catholic Funeral (correct) but than everyone not wanting to be wrong, unnecessary or offensive saying they are at peace etc etc feeds right into it. By pointing out the seriousness of it, we not only pray twice as much for this Priest who committed suicide and very much needs prayers considering the state of his soul at the hour of death, but also makes clear to anyone contemplating suicide or euthanasia that it's not a way out or free pass, they put their souls in grave danger and people must be aware of that.

(01-30-2020, 09:00 PM)Filiolus Wrote: Your comments imply that someone here is in need of catechesis or is celebrating that Fr. Harkins is no longer in pain or some other saccharine crap.

No, but people will read this, they need to be aware that we pray extra hard for this Priest, because not only was he a Priest and shepherd to the flock, but the fact that he witnessed committing suicide means that his soul is in grave danger and anyone else reading about this who may be tempted to follow suit with suicide/euthanasia will likewise be putting their souls in grave danger too.

God Bless You

A little tact goes a long way. Please use it. I knew Fr. Harkins quite well. We don’t yet know what circumstances were. We’re dealing with human beings, not working math.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Credidi Propter's post:
  • Filiolus