Catholic priest called Muslim immigrants a threat
(01-30-2020, 07:02 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Yeah, I guess I'll go kill myself since I'm of no use anymore.

.... Sounds reasonable... what else are we supposed to do when insulted anonymously by other anonymous online posters?..... I'm ruined! lol

Where's your joking emoji? Gotta make sure people are being sarcastic when 'suicide' is joked about since I just came from a thread on suicide.

God Bless You
My first ten minutes or so on Fisheaters, and I am stepping into this one. Call me crazy.
First - the priest said what he said and published what he published. He has a right to do so.
Second - it was the leftist, anti-chirstian left that blogged it out.
Third - it was the political and not the spiritual branch of Islam that responded, demanding a correction. The act of demanding a correction, and lecturing on what the Catholics believe is out of line.
Finally - the bishop's response is irresponsible. But this is the world we live in.
[-] The following 2 users Like Thomas2's post:
  • josh987654321, jovan66102
(01-30-2020, 08:47 PM)josh987654321 Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 07:02 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Yeah, I guess I'll go kill myself since I'm of no use anymore.

.... Sounds reasonable... what else are we supposed to do when insulted anonymously by other anonymous online posters?..... I'm ruined! lol

Where's your joking emoji? Gotta make sure people are being sarcastic when 'suicide' is joked about since I just came from a thread on suicide.

God Bless You

Oh yeah, bad timing on my part. Oops! :s
(01-30-2020, 09:30 PM)Thomas2 Wrote: Call me crazy.

Your crazy. :P

Welcome to the forums.

(01-30-2020, 10:36 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Oh yeah, bad timing on my part. Oops! :s

Timing is fine, it's just that on forums you can't get facial expressions etc, I knew you were joking but without an emoji or 'lol' it's sometimes hard to tell and ya never want to make a mistake with something like that. :)

God Bless You
(01-30-2020, 07:08 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Sheesh do you have some sort of beef with me I don't know about?  Bc you have been a bit testy with me on other forums.

:huh:

Care to elaborate?

FE is the only forum I'm aware of any 'austenbosten'.
(01-30-2020, 09:30 PM)Thomas2 Wrote: My first ten minutes or so on Fisheaters, and I am stepping into this one.  Call me crazy. 

Crazier things have been known to happen.

(01-30-2020, 09:30 PM)Thomas2 Wrote: First - the priest said what he said and published what he published.  He has a right to do so.

He may have the right, but as has been shown time and time again, it may not be the wisest thing to do (i.e., publish one's sermons).

(01-30-2020, 09:30 PM)Thomas2 Wrote: Second - it was the leftist, anti-chirstian (sic) left that blogged it out.

Correct.

(01-30-2020, 09:30 PM)Thomas2 Wrote: Third - it was the political and not the spiritual branch of Islam that responded, demanding a correction. 

I disagree that there are a 'political' and 'spiritual' branches of Islam; they are one in the same for Islam is just as much a political faction as it is a supposed religious one.

(01-30-2020, 09:30 PM)Thomas2 Wrote: Finally - the bishop's response is irresponsible.  But this is the world we live in.

As I mentioned, I believe the response to have been effeminate.  However, I do not want to completely throw the bishop under the bus (at least not based upon this incident).  This particular diocese, or at least the archdiocese of St.Paul/Minneapolis, is already down on the count as they are attempting to reel back from the abuse scandal and having had to declare bankruptcy.  In that regard, they are not only bankrupt fiscally, but from a political capital standpoint as well.  Playing devil's advocate for a moment, for +Hebda to have responded by backing up the priest and being, well, Catholic, would have been a declaration of political war as that archdiocese is located in the middle of Protestant la-la land who have no love for the Catholic Church and are champing at the bit at every infraction to bring it down.  As such, +Hebda's hands were somewhat tied, which is yet another unforeseeable, deleterious effect of the abuse scandal.  Very sad on all accounts.
The problem with dioceses struggling because of the abuse scandal is that their lack of honesty and their arrogance in thinking they could actually cover something like that up has only come back to bite them in the butt. Hence when an individual priest actually does say something bold, bishops really are confronted with the choice either to continue playing the political game or to just be honest. And in the age of the internet, an honest bishop would undoubtedly bring in plenty of popular support from all corners outside the diocese itself.

But unfortunately, the priest in question wasn't preaching the faith from a position of honesty (seen from his immediate apology) and wasn't exercising the supernatural prudence that a priest of Christ ought to have.

Priests need prudence and circumspection. However, the problem with a priest preaching a conservative, but true, opinion about Muslims or immigration in general is not that it's a breath of fresh air. It's that we don't actually need priests saying that sort of political thing to us. We need priests who will preach Catholicism and let the chips fall where they will. Priests preaching a secular message, while the Church obviously has every right to comment and guide us in those issues, is still pandering to the perverted notion of priest as social worker.

As long as priests and bishops are still playing the secular game, they will lose every time. And the internet will reveal the truth of that every time even if it's through radical left-wing groups. A trad priest doesn't even need to preach about immigration because he knows everyone in his congregation is already in agreement about that sort of issue, or even if they're not, his duty as a priest is to work for their salvation, not their correct political opinions. He needs to preach on the spiritual life, on what the Church actually teaches about x, y, and z for this particular congregation to grow. And it's only in that sort of environment that the faith is growing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes piscis's post:
  • antiquarian
Quote:Priests need prudence and circumspection. However, the problem with a priest preaching a conservative, but true, opinion about Muslims or immigration in general is not that it's a breath of fresh air. It's that we don't actually need priests saying that sort of political thing to us. We need priests who will preach Catholicism and let the chips fall where they will. Priests preaching a secular message, while the Church obviously has every right to comment and guide us in those issues, is still pandering to the perverted notion of priest as social worker.

I disagree with this, and don't see the matter as merely political. The Catholic understanding of certain political principles is a part of the Faith, and that understanding is not only not being handed down, it is being radically perverted by Bishops' conferences. Trad priests *must* talk about things like subsidiarity, the Catholic view of immigration, the purpose of the State, etc.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 2 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • antiquarian, jovan66102
I realize Robert Spencer ("Jihad Watch") is not the most objective critic of Islamism, but I recall in his Politically Incorrect Guide either of Islam or the Koran (the two do blur!), he gave necessary coverage to CAIR, with its very deep ties to MSM, talking heads, SPLC, anti-hate crimes "spokespeople" and "community organizers" . Case in point on CAIR site--which is titled "Islamophobia" and is the first hit when I searched "Robert Spencer + CAIR":

CAIR letter to the Catholic Diocese of Sacramento regarding Robert Spencer of Jihad Watch
(Note: The below letter was sent to in June 2013.)
We are writing in regards to the upcoming appearance of Jihad Watch’s Robert Spencer at the Northern California Catholic Family Home School Conference in Sacramento, California in July. Mr. Spencer is a key leader in the anti-Islam hate movement in the United States. Given the facts outlined below, we respectfully request that his invitation be rescinded.
Spencer operates the blog “Jihad Watch,” which is notorious for its inaccurate depiction of Islam as an inherently violent faith.  He is also a ‘global leader” of the American Freedom Defense Initiative (AFDI). Both groups are consistently listed among the key anti-Islam hate groups in the nation.
In March of this year, the organizers of the Catholic Men's Conference in Worcester, Massachusetts rescinded a similar invitation for Spencer after his promotion of bias was brought to the organizer’s attention.
While we fully support Spencer’s right to present his views, we believe that hate speech should be relegated to the fringes of society, not offered a legitimizing platform such as the Northern California Catholic Family Home School Conference.
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)
(02-02-2020, 10:11 PM)Fionnchu Wrote: While we fully support Spencer’s right to present his views, we believe that hate speech should be relegated to the fringes of society, not offered a legitimizing platform such as the Northern California Catholic Family Home School Conference.

So, what they're saying is, 'While we support Spencer's right to free speech, since we've defined his ideas as thought crime, he should not be allowed to present those ideas where they might actually be heard.'
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • antiquarian