2019-nCoV: What are you doing in preparation?
Generally, I am not an epidemic alarmist. I took a reticent view of the 2019-nCoV when I first heard about it.  However, with the reports of the Chinese government walling up its subjects by the millions, etc.  I am taking a broader view of things.

I have since beefed up my pantry and purchased some PPE.

I am considering additional devotionals as well.

What is everyone else doing?

What is your line in the sand for missing Holy Mass?  A confirmed case in your community?

Looking forward to seeing your replies.
[-] The following 2 users Like yablabo's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum, Zedta
I too am taking a broader view and stocking necessities like bottled water, canned goods, etc.

I'm also picking up medical supplies and supplements. Here's a list of nutritional preventatives/treatments from Orthomolecular.org:

(OMNS January 26, 2020) The coronavirus pandemic can be dramatically slowed, or stopped, with the immediate widespread use of high doses of vitamin C. Physicians have demonstrated the powerful antiviral action of vitamin C for decades. There has been a lack of media coverage of this effective and successful approach against viruses in general, and coronavirus in particular.

It is very important to maximize the body's anti-oxidative capacity and natural immunity to prevent and minimize symptoms when a virus attacks the human body. The host environment is crucial. Preventing is obviously easier than treating severe illness. But treat serious illness seriously. Do not hesitate to seek medical attention. It is not an either-or choice. Vitamin C can be used right along with medicines when they are indicated.
"I have not seen any flu yet that was not cured or markedly ameliorated by massive doses of vitamin C."  (Robert F. Cathcart, MD)
The physicians of the Orthomolecular Medicine News Service and the International Society for Orthomolecular Medicine urge a nutrient-based method to prevent or minimize symptoms for future viral infection. The following inexpensive supplemental levels are recommended for adults; for children reduce these in proportion to body weight:
Vitamin C: 3,000 milligrams (or more) daily, in divided doses.
Vitamin D3: 2,000 International Units daily. (Start with 5,000 IU/day for two weeks, then reduce to 2,000)
Magnesium: 400 mg daily (in citrate, malate, chelate, or chloride form)
Zinc: 20 mg daily
Selenium: 100 mcg (micrograms) daily
Vitamin C, Vitamin D, magnesium, zinc, and selenium have been shown to strengthen the immune system against viruses.
The basis for using high doses of vitamin C to prevent and combat virus-caused illness may be traced back to vitamin C's early success against polio, first reported in the late 1940s. Many people are unaware, even surprised, to learn this. Further clinical evidence built up over the decades, leading to an anti-virus protocol published in 1980.

It is important to remember that preventing and treating respiratory infections with large amounts of vitamin C is well established. Those who believe that vitamin C generally has merit, but massive doses are ineffective or somehow harmful, will do well to read the original papers for themselves. To dismiss the work of these doctors simply because they had success so long ago sidesteps a more important question: Why has the benefit of their clinical experience not been presented to the public by responsible governmental authorities, especially in the face of a viral pandemic?

http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/...ndex.shtml

Having seen the effectiveness of vitamin and mineral supplements in managing diabetes, I'm keeping sodium ascorbate, etc., around the house.

And yes, we are increasing our devotionals and trying to get to confession often. You never know.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Teresa Agrorum's post:
  • yablabo
I work at a hospital with immuno compromised patients, there's nothing I can do other than wear a mask, which I do all day at work anyway.  I guess after being around infectious diseases and hospital stuff for years I don't worry much.  It'll be what it'll be.  If it does get serious than I'll just up my hand washing and standard precautions,  and maybe wear a mask at the supermarket.  Personally I think this Coronavirus thing is overhyped and overblown but I could be wrong.  Be safe.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
[-] The following 2 users Like formerbuddhist's post:
  • yablabo, Zedta
(02-02-2020, 08:51 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Personally I think this Coronavirus thing is overhyped and overblown but I could be wrong.  Be safe.

Agreed. I'll do what I've done for the other diseases du jour that were going to wipe out humanity. Exercise normal precautions, avoid crowds, and take my supplements for my immune system. After that, it's in the Hands of God.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 3 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • formerbuddhist, yablabo, Zedta
None of us will know how bad this could possibly get.  I'm hearing now that medical personnel are finding evidence that the virus is transmitted via human feces.  That may mean that in the USA, due to our public sanitation, that the infection won't travel far. 

My hope is that it will go by and spare us all, but the forcible quarantine of 56+ million people in China makes me consider otherwise.

My aunt and grandfather were sickened during the SARS epidemic in 2003, and my aunt ended up dying.  I never really saw any local evidence from H1N1, however.

I believe that since it is within my means to prepare for the eventuality of supplies becoming thin in this region, I can without moral concern do so. 

I was mainly curious about a line in the sand as to when to miss Holy Mass.  There are so many sick people that come to Church that it's almost a constant infection risk from a variety of things anyway.  I thought that the way 2019-nCoV has been treated as more serious by the WHO and CDC, than say the seasonal flu, that perhaps there is a greater risk of debilitation and death should the novel Coronavirus enter the local community.
[-] The following 1 user Likes yablabo's post:
  • Zedta
I basically no longer trust the WHO and CDC. Back in the H1N1 outbreak they were issuing dire warnings as well. After it was all over, at least in Canada and the US, the regular seasonal 'flu killed about TEN TIMES as many people as the horrific virus they were so concerned about.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • formerbuddhist, Zedta
I work in healthcare myself, and am not panicking yet about the novel coronavirus. If it's spread like other more harmless coronaviruses, it's spread by droplets, just like the flu. I wear a mask at work already. If we started having cases in my area, I'd just wear a mask out in public too. I bought some bleach wipes to disinfect light switches, doorknobs, things around home that people touch a lot. Both sinks at our house have chlorhexidine soap set out. Wash your hands, friends. A LOT. Stop touching your face, biting your nails, ect. Don't kiss people or share drinks. Disinfect your cellphone regularly. Common sense things. I'd be more afraid of it was airborne tramsmission...

We never saw SARS in our area, but many people got H1N1, myself included. It was the highest fever I think I've ever had. Most people I knew recovered fairly well, but that was within my circle of mostly healthy high school students.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Catherine's post:
  • Zedta
While I have found articles that are supportive of the idea that this virus is quite unusual, I am hopeful that the quarantine and isolation efforts will be effective at stopping the spead and decreasing the number of people affected.

That being said, there is another concern:

If these efforts to control the spread, do become a bit ineffective and stricter measures become necessary, we could soon have food and other necessities in short supply. One of the methods to stop spread of the virus would be a limit on trucking and other means of passing on materials that could be contaminated. The virus does appear to have a very prolonged life on open surfaces, up to a month.

If shipping gets curtailed or even eventually stopped, things could get difficult, even if you or others are not infected.

Personally, living in Florida, most of us are 'preppers' already, since we have threats from hurricanes and the ramifications of such storms can limit one's ability to have food and electricity available. I've been restocking my supplies, while things are still available and moderately inexpensive, getting ready for the next season to begin in June anyhow.

Things get more expensive and less available has threats get more evident. Its always good to have canned goods at hand.

They are usable, well after the 'use/sell before date' and can be easily stored in a cool, dry place. Most are edible right out of the can and do not need preparation in a pinch.

A few gallons of laundry bleach are great for making disinfectant solutions as well.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain