Divine Mercy Chaplet and Offering the Divinity
(02-03-2020, 07:02 PM)everbecoming2007 Wrote: I would clarify that I did not claim any particular person with their objections is Jansenist.  I'm just saying, I'm not one.

No, but you did put those two statements about objections to the devotion on the basis of an emphasis on mercy and Jansenism right next to each other.

If we're going to be complaining about the orthodoxy of a prayer and nitpicking on terms, then it's at least fair to point out that it is a natural conclusion for the reader to put the only two sentences in that entire paragraph together as if they were one thought.

Thank you for the clarification, nonetheless.

(02-03-2020, 07:02 PM)everbecoming2007 Wrote: Jesus' divinity was present in his self-offering and is present in the mass.  This is not the same as offering the Father the Father's divinity as far as I can tell, and I still don't know what it means.

And I find it a troubling phrase, too, and am not trying to defend it. If you searched the forum, you would see I find various problems with the Divine Mercy devotion.

Still, if the Sacrifice of Christ was more than simply offering Body and Blood, and Christ is substantially present with His (The) Divinity at His Crucifixion and at Mass, which is a Propitiatory Sacrifice, then I fail to see how it could be a heretical statement. I agree it is not well-defined and could be problematic, hence why I do not defend it, but I would be careful not to step beyond pointing out the ambiguity.

You previously wrote that you have only heard heretical explanations, so did not claim the phrase itself heresy. I was simply pointing out a reason we should not take the step towards doing that, because invariably someone here will, if it's not pointed out.
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • everbecoming2007, jovan66102

Messages In This Thread
RE: Divine Mercy Chaplet and Offering the Divinity - by MagisterMusicae - 02-03-2020, 09:54 PM