Divine Mercy Chaplet and Offering the Divinity
(02-05-2020, 01:08 PM)Paul Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 11:06 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: As everbecoming pointed out, the problematic phrase is precisely not in the prayer of St Gertrude, and indeed, not only does it omit the offering of the Divinity, it also more clearly connects the offering to the Mass, which is the ultimate Sacrifice of Christ.

Is Christ's divinity not present in the Eucharist? Was it not present on the Cross? Jesus didn't offer his humanity on the Cross - He offered Himself, which includes body, blood, soul, and divinity. I don't see how it's any different from how we say we receive both the Body and Blood under either species, or how Our Lady is Mother of God, since she gave birth to a person, not to a "human nature". You can't separate Jesus' humanity from His divinity.

Besides, could not one object to St Gertrude's prayer on offering the Precious Blood? Our Lord offered that; she doesn't. A priest does that at Mass, but she's not a priest. How can a lay woman offer the Precious Blood to God?

Christ's Divinity, which is not essentially different from that of the Father, since there is one Godhead, is present in the Eucharist and on the Cross.

As I previously pointed out, indeed, Christ offered his whole person on the Cross, and that is a Divine Person, so that is why I wrote that I could not say that the phrase is heretical, or even erroneous. So, I already made the point you are now making as to why this offering of the divinity in the prayer is not per se wrong. It think it could be understood in an orthodox way.

My worry is that, given the now comparison with the St Gertrude prayer, which I had not previously considered, the prayer of the Divine Mercy devotion, while not unorthodox, is ambiguous and pushes the same change in the notion of Our Lord's Sacrifice that one finds in the Novus Ordo Missæ, which the proponents of the Divine Mercy devotion, like John Paul II, were the ones to push.

Indeed, St Gertrude and most of those who say her prayer are not ordained priests, but there has always in the spiritual authors been an analogical "priesthood" by Baptism in which the faithful can offer their Mass, and the fruits of that Mass. That is well-establish, and has a long orthodox history. The idea of offering the Eucharist (the effect) and not the Sacrifice of Christ (the cause), which are not the same thing, is a novel idea.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Divine Mercy Chaplet and Offering the Divinity - by MagisterMusicae - 02-05-2020, 03:14 PM