Divine Mercy Chaplet and Offering the Divinity
(02-06-2020, 06:27 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: I would note that an effect of that idea which seeks to remove the notion of the Mass being essentially the Sacrifice of the Cross and instead link the Mass with "The Lord's Supper" (with which it is not essentially identified), while preserving the real presence will suggest that the Sacrifice of the Mass is really Christ offering to us his Body and Blood, and not the immolation of Himself. So for them the Eucharist is the Sacrifrice, not the Mass. But that's false because by definition a Sacrifice is a thing which is offered to God alone in honor of his glory and sovereignty in which the thing is entirely set aside and changed, even destroyed. That is not the Eucharist itself which is the conjoined Sacramental presence and fruit of the Sacrifice, but the Body and Blood of Christ itself.

I think we're using terms differently here. By "Eucharist" I meant the consecrated bread and wine, that is, the Body and Blood of our Lord, that the priest offers at Mass, not just that which is distributed to the laity in the Sacrament of Communion. Maybe because I think of the Mass as the sacrifice of the Cross made present, I don't see a difference between offering the Eucharist, that is, the consecrated species, at Mass, and a layperson spiritually offering it (Him?) in the Divine Mercy prayer. Unless it's inappropriate for a lay person to do that, since we're not priests.

But I do agree that many Catholics today see the Mass as primarily a meal, as evidenced by the reactions of horror when you suggest that one not receive Communion because of potential mortal sin, or they question if they should go if they can't receive. That's all very much part of the new Mass, but what do you expect with receiving in the hand and reducing the fast to 'don't eat as you're walking to your pew'.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • antiquarian

Messages In This Thread
RE: Divine Mercy Chaplet and Offering the Divinity - by Paul - 02-08-2020, 01:24 AM