NCR: A Catholic case for Pete Buttigieg
On the subject of President Trump. I recently saw progressive and neo-Catholics on a certain site, making the argument, that he's not pro-life, only pro-birth.
(02-07-2020, 06:16 PM)Eric F Wrote: On the subject of President Trump. I recently saw progressive and neo-Catholics on a certain site, making the argument, that he's not pro-life, only pro-birth.

I hear progressives make that kind of claim all the time, about the entire pro-life movement.  Apparently, if you don't support a massive welfare state, government funded universal healthcare, etc., you're not pro-life, only "pro-birth."  That's pure hogwash, of course, but it shows the hypocrisy of leftist Catholics.  If you point out their preferred politicians (i.e. Democrats) support abortion, they'll invoke their conscience and how they feel, all issues considered, that, well, see the above argument for Buttigieg.  When a politically conservative Catholic invokes his or her conscience and defends alternatives to helping the poor and needy that doesn't involve a welfare state, they shriek to high heaven.  I do think there is room for respectful disagreement on how to best enact Catholic Social Teaching but things are too polarized these days and too much is allowed under the guise of conscience.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12
[-] The following 2 users Like SeekerofChrist's post:
  • antiquarian, karl
(02-07-2020, 06:16 PM)Eric F Wrote: On the subject of President Trump. I recently saw progressive and neo-Catholics on a certain site, making the argument, that he's not pro-life, only pro-birth.

How can one be pro-life... if they are dead? pro-birth is a prerequisite, As St Pope John Paul II said, the right to life is the most basic and fundamental right without which no other rights matter.

"You're only pro kids, once they hit teenager or adult to hell with em" oh... so that makes it okay to kill kids? logic fail.

Those who make such an argument are the real hypocrites.

"For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

God Bless You
[-] The following 1 user Likes josh987654321's post:
  • antiquarian
There is no 'Catholic case' for Buttigieg, or for that matter, any candidate in the Party of Death, but then there's also no 'Catholic case' for the existence of the Fishwrap, a/k/a the National 'Catholic' Distorter.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 3 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • josh987654321, karl, SeekerofChrist
There is no Catholic case for totalitarianism. In fact, the Church is 100% against it.
--BobCatholic 
[-] The following 2 users Like BobCatholic's post:
  • josh987654321, yablabo
So, as the author of the article makes clear, there is no case for Butt-judge.
(02-13-2020, 08:55 AM)yablabo Wrote: So, as the author of the article makes clear, there is no case for Butt-judge.

via Gfycat

[-] The following 1 user Likes Melkite's post:
  • yablabo