Sacred Heart Chaplet
I enjoy studying prayers and devotions both Eastern and Western.  As I study, I usually pray what I'm studying as a way to become familiar with the prayers.

In fact, I started out years ago as a teen (I'm 32 years of age) learning about Catholicism as a hobby.  I memorized and prayed the Rosary without conscious faith, although part of me must have been sincerely searching for some spiritual good.

I immediately experienced graces and interior sweetness, although I was neither baptized nor a Christian, and I immediately began to forgive my abusers and accept the harshness of the world with a measure of tranquility. 

Eventually I became a sacramental Christian (a high church Episcopalian), and from my Anglo-Catholic formation and catechesis it was natural to become a Roman Catholic.  For over a year as an Episcopalian I prayed 15 decades a day, though I eventually transitioned to primarily reciting the Office, and these days I pray online from Anglican Use sources or old Roman breviaries (especially Compline from the latter).

I have discovered several editions of the Sacred Heart chaplets.  I thought it could be useful to have a short chaplet memorized, especially since people often spontaneously ask me for prayers, so this could be useful. 

I am memorizing a version of it, but experimenting with the different versions of the prayers I am finding.  Sometimes one version of a prayer may, for instance, roll off the tongue better than another or be easier to meditate to.  I would like to memorize the Anima Christi in both English and Latin.

I've even found Sacred Heart mysteries (optional) but I tend to simply meditate on the Sacred Heart present in the blessed Sacrament.

Anyone else have experience with this devotion?  What version of the prayers do you use?  Do you add anything, or meditate on mysteries?

I often add spontaneous bits from the Liturgy of the Hours to the end of decades, or call on a saint, etc.

I look forward to potentially hearing back regarding this topic, or anything to do with the Sacred Heart.  With the Church in such a mess after the liturgical revolution, I have a need to withdraw into prayer as my refuge, and I enjoy hearing what others are doing.
I often meditate on only one mystery when I recite the Chaplet, since it doesn't take much to get through 5-decades. The structure of the Sacred Heart Chaplet I do is a modified take on the one in the book Devotion to the Sacred Heart, as follows:

To begin; Anima Christi on the crucifx; Our Father, three Hail Marys and a Glory Be (like on your typical rosary)

Then the prayers on a 5-decade rosary as follows:

Large beads:

Quote:I love you Lord, who suffered agony in the Garden of Gethsemane and who today, in the Blessed Sacrament, is outraged at the impiety and ingratitude of men. Give us your love, help us to love you more, you who alone are holy, you who alone are Lord, the Most High, Jesus Christ.

On each small bead:

Quote:Lord, I adore your Sacred Heart, inflame in our hearts the Divine Love with which your own is inflamed.

Do this for each decade, and then before each large bead say:

Quote:Lord Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make our hearts like unto thine.

Repeat for all five decades (or, however many you wish to pray). And then conclude with the following:

Quote:O Lord, you give your Sacred Heart to humanity in the Mystery of the Altar for the salvation of our souls, may your sacrifice not be made in vain. Hear our prayers, have mercy on us and forgive our sins. We desire to honor you in the Blessed Sacrament, glorify you in our thoughts, words and actions; and thank and praise you always. We weep for an detest the impiety and ingratitude of men, call us back to the heart of your Church. I offer you my heart in reparation for sin. Remove from it what is displeasing to you, dispose it according to your will, and inspire it with sentiments like yours. Draw us near to your Sacred Heart through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, and be our refuge at death, that we may come to praise for all eternity the Divine Love with which your Sacred Heart burns for humanity. I ask this in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place all of my trust in you!

Alternatively, if you don't want to memorize such a lengthy prayer, you could substitute it with a shorter petition to the Sacred Heart. This is a favorite of mine:
Quote:Most Holy Heart of Jesus, fountain of every blessing, I adore thee, I love thee, and with lively sorrow for my sins I offer you this poor heart of mine. Make me humble, patient, pure and wholly obedient to your Will. Grant good Jesus, that I may live in you and for you. Protect me in the midst of danger, comfort me in my afflictions, give me health of body, assistance in my temporal needs, your blessing on all that I do and the grace of a holy death. Amen. Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on me!

There's also a set of mysteries recommended for the chaplet, but you can also meditate on whatever mystery of the Sacred Heart you desire.

They are as follows:
Quote:1. The Entry into Jerusalem in which our Saviour, meek and humble of heart and riding on a donkey, entered triumphantly into the City of David and his people sand Hosanna.

2. The Agony in the Garden of Gethsemane in which Christ suffered affliction out of love for sinful and disobedient humanity and asked his disciples to remain, pray and keep vigil with Him.

3. The Road to Emmaus in which Christ accompanied his disciples and interpreted the Scriptures for them. Their hearts burned within them, and he revealed himself in the breaking of the bread.

4. The Blessed Sacrament, which is given to humanity through the Mystery of the Altar, reposed in the tabernacle, and exposed for Eucharistic Adoration, within which God is really, truly and substantially present.

5. The image of the Sacred Heart, which represents Christ's Sacred Humanity, the interior life of his soul, and his affection of merciful love for humanity.

And really, any sort of mystery regarding or surrounding the Sacred Heart will do. I personally loved the chaplet when I did it regularly, but have unfortunately fallen off the wagon as of late (for someone who claims to be a devotee of the Sacred Heart!). God-willing, your thread has inspired me to pick the devotion up again though! I hope this helps.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us!
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes: vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.' - Ecclesiastes 1:2
[-] The following 3 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • everbecoming2007, MiserereMeiDeus, Teresa Agrorum
I also have a thread on the Sacred Heart that I made last June, if you want to check that out.

https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/showth...?tid=84677
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes: vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.' - Ecclesiastes 1:2
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • everbecoming2007
(02-10-2020, 09:05 PM)Augustinian Wrote: I often meditate on only one mystery when I recite the Chaplet, since it doesn't take much to get through 5-decades. The structure of the Sacred Heart Chaplet I do is a modified take on the one in the book Devotion to the Sacred Heart, as follows:

I love the version you have presented!

The version I have memorized is very brief, and fine for a quick prayer, but I could very well commit this version you have shared to memory as well.
[-] The following 3 users Like everbecoming2007's post:
  • Augustinian, MiserereMeiDeus, Teresa Agrorum