Planning to read 'Querida Amazonia'?
I can't believe I'm asking this question, unthinkable before the advent of Francis...

Be honest: are you planning to read the new exhortation?
http://press.vatican.va/content/salastam...9.html#ing

Full disclosure: I am not.
Main reasons: frustration with previous documents (abuse of magisterial teaching, arguments that go nowhere, petty subject matter, etc.) and the lack of a definitive (that is, Latin) text for same.

These clowns don't seem to take their work seriously enough to do what is necessary for clarity--why should I?
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.
(02-12-2020, 03:23 PM)Teresa Agrorum Wrote: These clowns don't seem to take their work seriously enough to do what is necessary for clarity--why should I?

Perhaps to understand the "vision" of the Francis Pontificate? I don't know, it's up to you.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in the clothing of sheep, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.” (St. Matt. 7:15)

"There can be nothing more dangerous than those heretics who admit nearly the whole series of doctrine, and yet by one word, as with a drop of poison, taint the real and simple Faith taught by Our Lord and handed down by Apostolic tradition." - Pope Leo XIII, Satis Cognitum
I'm not planning to read it, but I was very glad and relieved to learn that the Holy Father decided not to call for married priests or female deacons.  I feel that the Petrine charism was active in restraining the Holy Father from approving those two issues.  I peeked at National Catholic Reporter's site and they are clearly disappointed.  This must be something like the shock people experienced when Pope St. Paul VI issued Humanae Vitae.  It gives me a sense of relief to see that the Petrine charism can still be operative in this pope.
"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.

I believe in the Gospel.  I think Catholics should read from one of the Gospels every day.  Our Lord speaks over and over again about faith in Himself, dying to self, and the works of mercy.  And so these are what I believe are most important -- not excluding other aspects of Catholic faith and tradition, but subordinating them to Our Lord's primary concerns.  Different factions in the Church show a marked tendency to forge and impose one ideology or another on the faith, and this comes to substitute for what Our Lord asks.  This is why I hope Catholics will read the Gospels.  Hearing Him directly, can we continue to refuse Him?
As I said, I can't believe I'm even asking the question. Francis leaves me muddleheaded, confused. I realize not every pope can compose like Leo XIII, but Francis has a small army of experts at his command--why can't they write?

Perhaps it's not a requirement, but most Catholics ought to read official Church documents. We need to know what the Church teaches and be knowledgeable enough to discuss it with others. Wouldn't you say that this duty is at least as important as the duty to vote? Hence my frustration.
"It gives me a sense of relief to see that the Petrine charism can still be operative in this pope."

Thanks be to God!
I don't think the average Catholic has a duty to read church documents like this apostolic exhortation.  In fact, I think the laity pay too much attention to the papacy as it is.  We can know what the Church teaches by reading the catechism.  That is more than sufficient.
"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.

I believe in the Gospel.  I think Catholics should read from one of the Gospels every day.  Our Lord speaks over and over again about faith in Himself, dying to self, and the works of mercy.  And so these are what I believe are most important -- not excluding other aspects of Catholic faith and tradition, but subordinating them to Our Lord's primary concerns.  Different factions in the Church show a marked tendency to forge and impose one ideology or another on the faith, and this comes to substitute for what Our Lord asks.  This is why I hope Catholics will read the Gospels.  Hearing Him directly, can we continue to refuse Him?
I can't stand to listen to the man speak, why should I read his drivel.

From what I hear it does the same "two steps forward, one step back" dance that's been going on since Vaticanturd II.  So Francis doesn't "approve" of married priests, but he clearly doesn't explicitly condemn it.

Louie Veracchio has nailed it: https://akacatholic.com/amazon-synod-ordination/
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • Credidi Propter
"We can know what the Church teaches by reading the catechism."

I completely agree. It's how I've stayed sane for some time. Like others, I passed through a period of trial over this pontificate and concluded the Lord will make good on His promise that the gates of Hell shall not prevail over the Church.

Non-Catholics are aware something is up, however. My evangelical friends are deeply alarmed--as Rome hits the skids the moral repercussions affect them also. Their ministers are also 'acting up'; they want explanations. My agnostic friends are scandalized. (Then there are the liberal Catholics--in my acquaintance and in my family--lovely people, but seem to have no idea there's anything amiss.)

Information moves very fast these days; so too disinformation. We must be ever ready to give a reason for our faith.

[Don't worry, I'm getting off the soapbox now.  :)]