Hello. im considering a priestly vocation
Hi, I found this forum long ago but didnt register. I decided to come here after being other catholic forums were too liberal (lets not say which)
Now, id like advice ,or input,I'll also explain my situation.
Im a 24 yo from Argentina(this will relevant later),im single and never married, for a while ive been considering the priesthood.My parents seem to oppose it,and my confessor lives in another city so I havent talked with him yet.
Is there any type of people who can't become priests? which?
is there anything I can do right now to either change my parent's mind,or prepare myself properly(daily rosary? fasting besides fridays?)

I decided I would be a shanty town/slum priest,there's a seminary here for diocesan priest with that specific goal. I was told you dont -have-to be poor if you're diocesan;is this true? for me poverty is harder obstacle than celibacy!
i'll adress any questions you have about me regarding my suitaibility .
[-] The following 2 users Like xsantiagox's post:
  • ServusDei, XavierSem
(02-21-2020, 02:43 PM)xsantiagox Wrote: Is there any type of people who can't become priests? which?
I decided I would be a shanty town/slum priest,there's a seminary here for diocesan priest with that specific goal. I was told you dont -have-to be poor if you're diocesan;is this true?

If you experience strong sexual attraction to men, you cannot be a priest.
Mental or emotional handicap can be an obstacle too.
Dependent children are usually a problem.

Diocesan priests do not take a VOW of poverty, but an individual priest who hasn't taken a vow of poverty, may still have to be poor. For example, if you are working in the slums in Argentina, and there aren't enough resources in the poor diocese to pay you very much, then you will be poor. That's not canon law, that's math.
Quote:Mental or emotional handicap can be an obstacle too.
oh  :(

I had a period of mental illness. if its not my lot to be a priest ill guess I have to accept that. im still receiving treatment honestly.
My next-to-best goal after a priest would be funding missions. Evangelicals are converting all the indigenous tribes here.
Don't try to change your parents' minds. Waste of time. Parents and the career decisions of their adult children...God knows they don't completely let it go; they just get used to it.

There are always good reasons not to be a priest. You just have to ask: What am I good at? What inspires my imagination? What does my community need?
(02-21-2020, 03:15 PM)xsantiagox Wrote:
Quote:Mental or emotional handicap can be an obstacle too.
oh  :(

I had a period of mental illness. if its not my lot to be a priest ill guess I have to accept that. im still receiving treatment honestly.
My next-to-best goal after a priest would be funding missions. Evangelicals are converting all the indigenous tribes here.
Most people need to see a shrink at some point; that doesn't necessarily disqualify you.

I'm just saying that it can be an obstacle. I don't know your case. Your specific case can be reviewed by your local diocesan admin and they can decide on your mental state and fitness for service.

That said, if you truly think it would be a problem, then please bring it up to them. There is a place in the priesthood for people with specific issues.

If you start the process, you and them can see whether it's a good fit. You can't figure that out online with a bunch of Anglophones in the other hemisphere.
(02-21-2020, 03:18 PM)19405 Wrote: Don't try to change your parents' minds. Waste of time. Parents and the career decisions of their adult children...God knows they don't completely let it go; they just get used to it.

There are always good reasons not to be a priest. You just have to ask: What am I good at? What inspires my imagination? What does my community need?
I have an idea,dont know how realistic it is,of forming,or helping create,a support group for catholics with sex-related addicion or vices.
I talked quite a few mates out of sexual vice,I see alcohol and gambling getting all the attention,but what about this particular problem?few people adress it,there's like one priest here who spoke out against nightclub culture,but many bishops talk politics when ignoring this.
(02-21-2020, 03:24 PM)xsantiagox Wrote:
(02-21-2020, 03:18 PM)19405 Wrote: Don't try to change your parents' minds. Waste of time. Parents and the career decisions of their adult children...God knows they don't completely let it go; they just get used to it.

I have an idea,dont know how realistic it is,of forming,or helping create,a support group for catholics with sex-related addicion or vices

Sexaholics Anonymous is the group you want. Google them, and you can start a chapter where you are. Very doable. If you lack funds, try to pool resources, and let SA know you're in the global south. And try to find someone who's been sexually sober a while to lead the group.
If you have an idea forming the Lord may indeed be calling you to this. How His will plays out is unknown--step forward, and it will be revealed bit by bit.

There is a real need for course correction in the human heart. You can be Christ's instrument--He knows the way. You'll need to visit a spiritual director more often as you discern, one that is closer to home.

Past struggles--mental, emotional, physical--are no impediment to doing God's will. Shed human respect and let go of fear. Holy poverty is a willing dependence upon Divine Providence--the Lord delights in this and will supply your every need. I have read that it is easier to be a saint these days, because those who love God are opposed everywhere. But we should not be afraid, Sr. Lucia of Fatima wrote. May God bless you.
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.
[-] The following 3 users Like Teresa Agrorum's post:
  • 19405, XavierSem, xsantiagox
https://www.sa.org/f2f/argentina/

Give these guys a call. If the locale is far from you, start a new chapter where you are.

Not to get off track about the priesthood.

But Teresa's right, you need to talk to someone who lives closer to you.