Latin Scholars? Help!!
Can someone translate this for me?  My Latin is not as good as it was 50+ years ago.It's from tomorrow's Martyrology, but Divinum Officium doesn't translate it, just giving it in the Latin column. It tried Google Translate, but it's so garbled as to be unintelligible. E.g., it translates 'Sexto Kaléndas Mártii' (Sixth day before the Kalends of March) as 'sixth of February'.

In anno Bissextili bis pronuntiatur Sexto Kaléndas Mártii, et eadem Luna, scilicet die 24 et 25. Prima die, id est 24, hoc modo: Sexto Kaléndas Mártii. Luna..., quota fuerit. Deinde: Commemorátio plurimórum sanctórum Mártyrum et Confessórum, atque sanctárum Vírginum. Secunda die, id est 25: Sexto Kaléndas Mártii. Luna... In Iudǽa..., et cetera, ut in sequenti Lectione.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
It's talking about the leap day. Interesting note is that the leap day on the Roman calendar was what we would reckon the 24th of February. Hence "second sixth" -- bissextilis.

"In the leap year, the sixth day before the Kalends of March, and likewise the Moon, are announced twice: namely the 24th and 25th. On the first day, that is the 24th, in this way: the six day before the Kalends of March, the Moon ... will be its part. And then: The commemoration of many holy Martyrs and Confessors, and holy Virgins. On the second day, that is the 25th: the six day before the Kalends of March, the Moon ... in Judaea ... and so on, as follows in the reading."
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steven's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
Is this an instruction in the Martyrology?

"In the leap year it is announced twice on the sixth of February, and in the same month, one may know [i.e., with certainty] on day 24 and 25. On the first day, i.e., 24, in this manner: on the sixth of February. In the month..., whatever number it will have been (?). Then ['henceforth' might be better] the commemoration of many Martyrs, Confessors , and Virgins. On the second day, i.e., 25: on the sixth of February. In the month... In Judea..., and other [places], as in the following of the Lectionary."

One feast for the sixth of February during a leap year, another for a normal year? And a very confused lector all the time.  :D
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.
(02-21-2020, 10:58 PM)Teresa Agrorum Wrote: Is this an instruction in the Martyrology?

One feast for the sixth of February during a leap year, another for a normal year? And a very confused lector all the time.  :D

Yes it is, but it's talking about the 24th and 25th of February. That's how I knew the translation was completely garbled. There is no 29 February in the Traditional Calendar. the 'leap day' is the 24th which is 'doubled. Hence, there are TWO sixth days before the Kalends of March', as Steven pointed out. And only one Feast, St Matthias, whose Office is said on both days.

Since the Martyrology was generally only said in monastic houses, I'm sure the reader knew exactly what was going on. :LOL:
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
(02-22-2020, 01:26 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: And only one Feast, St Matthias, whose Office is said on both days.

St Matthias's Office isn't said on both days. His Feast is on the 24th in common years and the 25th in leap years, since that's the sixth Kalends of March. Likewise, St Gabriel of Our Lady of Sorrows is on the third Kalends of March, the 27th in common years and the 28th in leap years.

If you use the older books, the 24th this year is the Vigil of St Matthias, which is normally commemorated on the 23rd in the Office of St Peter Damien (but omitted, like all Vigils, if it occur in Lent). If you use the 1962 books, the Vigil's been suppressed, so it's Monday in Quinquagesima.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
All this is making me feel a bit suppressed.  :P
(02-21-2020, 09:11 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Can someone translate this for me?  My Latin is not as good as it was 50+ years ago.It's from tomorrow's Martyrology, but Divinum Officium doesn't translate it, just giving it in the Latin column. It tried Google Translate, but it's so garbled as to be unintelligible. E.g., it translates 'Sexto Kaléndas Mártii' (Sixth day before the Kalends of March) as 'sixth of February'.

In anno Bissextili bis pronuntiatur Sexto Kaléndas Mártii, et eadem Luna, scilicet die 24 et 25. Prima die, id est 24, hoc modo: Sexto Kaléndas Mártii. Luna..., quota fuerit. Deinde: Commemorátio plurimórum sanctórum Mártyrum et Confessórum, atque sanctárum Vírginum. Secunda die, id est 25: Sexto Kaléndas Mártii. Luna... In Iudǽa..., et cetera, ut in sequenti Lectione.

'In a leap year the sixth day before the Kalends of March as well as the same moon  are announced twice [as I'm sure you know, the Martyrology announces the moon's number - the instruction here is just telling you to announce the same day and the same moon twice], namely, on the 24th and on the 25th. On the first day, that is, on the 24th, in this way: "The sixth day before the Kalends of March. The moon..." whatever number it should be [the moon's number is variable year to year, which is why this rubric does not tell you the number]. Then: Commemoration of many holy martyrs and confessors, as well as of holy virgins. On the second day, that is on the 25th: "The sixth day before the Kalends of March. The moon... In Judea...," et cetera, as in the following reading.'

The main issue with the previous translations is that they misread "quota fuerit", which means "however many it will have been" - as stated above, the moon's number is different every year, so the rubrics are just telling you to state the correct number for that year.

Anyway, since some people obviously have Latin around here, maybe we could have a "Latine tantum" thread?
Dissolve frigus ligna super foco
large reponens atque benignius
     deprome quadrimum Sabina,
          O Thaliarche, merum diota.

Permitte divis cetera...
"...maybe we could have a 'Latine tantum' thread?"

Est concitator in domo!  :D
(02-22-2020, 02:22 PM)Filiolus Wrote: The main issue with the previous translations is that they misread "quota fuerit", which means "however many it will have been" - as stated above, the moon's number is different every year, so the rubrics are just telling you to state the correct number for that year.

Glad that was the only issue. :D I was left scratching my head over "quota fuerit", as I figured it was idiomatic, so I just put a literal translation. Should've used the subjunctive instead.
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.