Archbishop Lenga Of Kazakhstan Calls Francis An Antichrist
(02-28-2020, 02:37 PM)ServusDei Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 07:36 AM)newenglandsun Wrote: The pope is the pope is the pope. Right now, that's Francis. His material heresies do not undermine his pontificate any more than a priest's heresies invalidate the sacraments he ministers. Because it is the Holy Spirit's work in the Church that ultimately grants power to the sacraments.

It is impossible for the Pope to become a heretic. Christ Himself guaranteed this.

That is so historically not true, as there even was a pope declared a heretic by a council.   Jesus did not make that guarantee.  But that perspective keeps one from seeing what really is.
[-] The following 3 users Like Markie Boy's post:
  • antiquarian, jovan66102, newenglandsun
(02-29-2020, 08:36 PM)Markie Boy Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 02:37 PM)ServusDei Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 07:36 AM)newenglandsun Wrote: The pope is the pope is the pope. Right now, that's Francis. His material heresies do not undermine his pontificate any more than a priest's heresies invalidate the sacraments he ministers. Because it is the Holy Spirit's work in the Church that ultimately grants power to the sacraments.

It is impossible for the Pope to become a heretic. Christ Himself guaranteed this.

That is so historically not true, as there even was a pope declared a heretic by a council.   Jesus did not make that guarantee.  But that perspective keeps one from seeing what really is.

Honorius I was declared anathema and all the acts of his Papacy were annulled by one of his successors. John XXII taught blatant heresy as a private doctor, but he repented on his death bed. To say that it is impossible for a Pope to be a heretic is extreme papolatry that the Church has never recognised. 

As has been pointed out over and over, what a Pope cannot do is to bind the Church to heresy ex cathedra.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • newenglandsun