It's Lent: What's for Supper?
I thought long and hard before beginning this thread. Male Fishies will see it and think, food? Idiot, it's Lent!

(These are the same fellows coming home after a hard day's work to say, "What's for supper? I'm starved!" So much for that.) Mothers also feed children, and if you've ever tried to get a two-year-old to eat bean burritos two days a week, you know what I mean.

So I propose to post two meatless recipes a week, Wednesdays and Fridays, through Passion Week. (I'll be doubling up then in anticipation of the Triduum.) Please feel free to add your own favorites. Warning: some recipes will contain dairy, fish (!), peanut butter, etc. Please make substitutions as needed or desired. I am aware that some Catholics and Orthodox keep a more austere diet during the penitential season--may God grant you every grace.

Sardine Salad and Sandwich Filling

This is also good mixed with cold pasta. Don't have fresh parsley, etc.? It's still good. Use red wine instead of lemon juice if desired. Don't have olive oil but there's mayo in the house? Go for it.

1 can sardines (olive oil pack)
Diced red onion
1 paste tomato, diced finely
Minced fresh parsley
Minced celery tops
Dash black pepper
Dash Tabasco sauce (opt.)
1 to 2 T. lemon or lime juice
1 to 2 T. olive oil (opt.)
Romaine lettuce leaves, for serving
Flatbread, split roll, sliced sandwich bread, or crackers

Toss together ingredients to taste, adding lemon juice sparingly, and chill for several hours if possible. Line bread with lettuce and fill with sardine mixture, or serve on torn lettuce as a salad.
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Teresa Agrorum's post:
  • CopiosaApudEumRedemptio
Here's one of mine, pesto. I just put it on pasta or bread. Also use a mortar and pestle, don't have a food processor.

Pesto

INGREDIENTS
2 cups fresh basil leaves (no stems)
2 tablespoons pine nuts or walnuts (prefer walnuts)
2 large cloves garlic
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Sometimes I substitute Thai Basil and Cashews

PREPARATION
Combine basil leaves, pine nuts or walnuts and garlic in a food processor and process until very finely minced.

With the machine running slowly dribble in the oil and process until the mixture is smooth.
Add the cheese and process very briefly, just long enough to combine. Store in refrigerator or freezer.
"There is nothing more pleasing to God, than to see a soul who patiently and serenely bears whatever crosses it is sent; this is how love is made, by putting lover and loved one on the same level. . . A soul who loves Jesus Christ desires to be treated the way Christ was treated-desires to be poor, despised and humiliated."

St Alphonsus Ligouri
[-] The following 1 user Likes CopiosaApudEumRedemptio's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
Spaghetti Frittata, sans bacon.  :) ETA: you could add a little canned sardines as substitute for bacon.

Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
I just came off of an 8 day backpacking trip and realized my two favorite cold-soak recipes would work well for Lent.

Ramen Bean Bomb

1 packet of dehydrated ramen noodles (without the flavor pack)
1/2 cup of dehydrated refried beans
2 teaspoons of taco seasoning

Break up the ramen noodles and put them in a quart ziplock bag with the rest of the ingredients for easy packing. To prepare, pour the contents into am empty peanut butter jar, or my favorite, an empty Talenti ice cream jar. Fill with water to about a half an inch above the ingredients. Stir and let sit for about 45 minutes to an hours.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jack89's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
My second cold-soak recipe, and my favorite, is:

Cous Cous with tuna and raisins

1/2 box of instant Cous Cous (I get the 5.8 ounce box of Near East Roasted Garlic and Olive Oil), with 1/2 pack of included seasoning.
1 - 2.6 oz packet of tuna in olive oil (I get the ones with sun-dried tomato added)
1 oz of sun dried raisins

Place the cous cous and raisins in your handy cold-soak jar (empty peanut butter jar or Talenti jar). Add water to about 1/2 to 3/4 inches above ingredients. Stir, cover and let sit for 10 minutes or so )the cous cous will reconstitute quickly). Add the tuna, stir and enjoy.

These are my go to backpacking meals that require no cooking. Not gourmet, but quite handy and fitting for Lent.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jack89's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
What else for Lent than Lentil soup?  :D

I make it very simply with half a small bag of lentils, onions & garlic, canned carrots, canned potatoes, water, chicken broth & a bay leaf. Bring all to a boil, then cook, covered for @30 minutes or ‘til lentils are soft. You can toss in crushed or diced or stewed tomatoes at the end, if you like. I serve it with a splash of apple cider vinegar (the raw kind). You can use fresh veggies of course. And add in any other spices or veg you want, you can add rice, too. Versatile, quick & healthful.
[-] The following 2 users Like Margaret-Mary's post:
  • newenglandsun, Teresa Agrorum
(02-28-2020, 05:42 PM)Teresa Agrorum Wrote: I thought long and hard before beginning this thread. Male Fishies will see it and think, food? Idiot, it's Lent!

Not quite.

If it's Friday during Lent, the answer, for me, is: Nothing.

Maybe a cup of coffee with a dash of cream. But that's about it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bonaventure's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
Fish recipes will be good for March 25! My parish permits shellfish but no olive oil except on weekends.
[-] The following 1 user Likes newenglandsun's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
Quote:I thought long and hard before beginning this thread. Male Fishies will see it and think, food? Idiot, it's Lent!
SOME Fishies...  :D
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Teresa Agrorum's post:
  • newenglandsun
(02-29-2020, 02:37 PM)Teresa Agrorum Wrote:
Quote:I thought long and hard before beginning this thread. Male Fishies will see it and think, food? Idiot, it's Lent!
SOME Fishies...  :D
I thought it was odd too. We love food! Just not our vegetables.
[-] The following 1 user Likes newenglandsun's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum