It's Lent: What's for Supper?
(02-29-2020, 08:18 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: Spaghetti Frittata, sans bacon.  :) ETA: you could add a little canned sardines as substitute for bacon.

Mille grazie!  Che buona idea!
That sounds delicious! The C&SH wouldn't like it, because she's not fond of eggs, but I could quarter the recipe for myself. Usually, I just throw the left over pasta in a skillet with some oil and spices, throw in some peas and heat well. I learned it from the elderly Sicilian mother of a friend of mine.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
Quote:We love food! Just not our vegetables.

How right you are. Vegetables don't taste the way they once did--factory farming changed that.  :(
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.
Texas Red or Brown Gravy and Bean and Cheese Burritos

Sauce for enchiladas and burritos. Add peanut butter for Texas brown sauce.

1/4 cup beer + 1 3/4 cups water
1 T. tomato paste (opt.; see note below)
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter or lard, marrow fat, etc.
1 to 2 T. ground Ancho chiles
1 t. sugar
1 t. unsweetened cocoa
1 t. granulated garlic
1 to 2 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. ground onion
1/2 t. dried oregano
1/4 to 1/2 t. black pepper
Optional: 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded (or 1 T. smooth peanut butter)
Salt as needed or desired

May substitute 2 cups beef broth for beer and water. (Add 1 t. salt if not using broth.)

May substitute 5 to 6 oz. V8 for tomato paste; pour into a 2-cup measure and fill remainder with water.

May substitute 1 t. menudo spices for Ancho chiles, if desired.

Whisk flour into water or broth until dissolved; set aside. If using tomato paste, whisk it in also.

In a saucepan heat butter until melted; stir in spices and warm very gently until fragrant. Remove immediately from heat to avoid burning.

Whisk in broth mixture, adding beer if using, and stir well; return to heat and cook and stir continuously until slightly thickened. If desired add peanut butter or cheese and stir in until melted. Check salt. Serve over burritos, enchiladas, rellenos, etc.

Quick Bean and Cheese Burritos

1 can refried beans
1 t. lemon juice
1/4 t. granulated garlic
1/4 t. onion powder
1/4 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. dried leaf oregano
Jalapeno Tabasco sauce, to taste
Shredded Colby Jack cheese
4 burrito size flour tortillas
Texas Red or Brown Sauce

Grease a 9 x 9-inch baking pan and set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine beans, lemon juice, oregano, Tabasco, and spices. Microwave mixture until hot (opt.).

Place desired amount of cheese down the center of a tortilla; spoon one-quarter of the bean mixture over the cheese and roll up, folding in the sides. Repeat for all four tortillas.

Arrange in baking pan and pour hot Texas Red or Brown Gravy over to cover. Sprinkle with more cheese if desired. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Serve with shredded lettuce, diced red onion, diced tomatoes, etc.
Bean Salad

1 can black beans
1 can cannellini beans
1 bunch radishes, cubed
1 large cucumber, chopped
2 large celery spears, chopped
3 green onion spears, chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup soy sauce

Rinse and drain beans (helps with the gas :) ). Wash and cut veggies. Combine beans and veggies in bowl. Combine vinegar, oil, and soy sauce in a sealable container, shake thoroughly to mix. Pour over veggies and beans.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Catherine's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
Catherine, does the bean salad improve as it marinates, or should this be eaten right away? Thanks.
I'm going to be trying to make mujadara tonight.

https://cookieandkate.com/mujaddara-recipe/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Melkite's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
(03-04-2020, 11:30 PM)Teresa Agrorum Wrote: Catherine, does the bean salad improve as it marinates, or should this be eaten right away? Thanks.
I would say up to a week in the fridge, it improves as it marinates. It can definitely be eaten right away though. This is something I like to make as a side dish and eat off of throughout the week. It's always nice to have leftovers that improve with time :)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Catherine's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
Quote:I'm going to be trying to make mujadara tonight.

https://cookieandkate.com/mujaddara-recipe/

That looks really good.
Classic Tomato Pie
From www.ruthreichl.com

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1/3 cup cold butter, diced
1 T. finely chopped fresh parsley
3/4 cup or more buttermilk
4 to 6 ripe paste tomatoes, cut into thick rounds
2 t. fresh basil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1 cup mayonnaise

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut in cold diced butter until the flour resembles coarse crumbles. Then stir in the parsley and buttermilk and mix until the dough comes together. Cover and let rest at room temperature two hours.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Press the biscuit dough into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Then lay the tomato slices on the biscuit dough. Mix together cheese and mayonnaise and spread over the tomato slices.

Place the pie in the preheated oven on lowest rack and bake for about 35 minutes, or until the biscuit dough crust is golden brown. If the top of the pie has not browned to your liking, move it to the upper rack and continue baking as desired. Let the pie cool for about 15-20 minutes before slicing. Best served warm to room temperature.