It's Lent: What's for Supper?
Imitation Crab Meat Fajitas with lime and cilantro.
"Imitation Crab Meat..."

Hm. I'm wondering if that stuff might be pretty good in tacos.
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.
(03-07-2020, 01:00 PM)Teresa Agrorum Wrote: "Imitation Crab Meat..."

Hm. I'm wondering if that stuff might be pretty good in tacos.

It was on sale here, so i got some and tossed it into a big salad - not bad. It might be pretty good in tacos.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Margaret-Mary's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
I think it's delicious.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
Today's post is a two-fer-- because some won't be eating dairy during Lent, I'm also posting my friend Rena's wonderful hummus recipe.

101 Grilled Cheese

Everybody knows how to make the ol' slice-of-American-cheese-on-white-bread sandwich, but did you know you could grill instead:

Peanut butter and your favorite jam or jelly on white bread (the Elvis!)
Black beans marinated in Italian dressing (drain well), mashed w/ diced red onion, and a slice of Munster on whole wheat
Monterey Jack and a roasted and peeled green chile pepper on sourdough
STOC (spinach, tomato, grilled red onion, and Cheddar--with roasted garlic mixed into mayo) on whole wheat
Pimento cheese on marble rye
Baby Swiss with strawberry jam on buttermilk bread
Tuna (with mayo and bread and butter pickles) and Cheddar on whole wheat
Mozzarella, tomato, and fresh basil or pesto on ciabatta (the Caprese!)
Cream cheese fork blended with shredded Mozzarella and Cheddar and a bit of roasted garlic, mixed with mayo and a dash of Italian herbs, on white Italian (the Ultimate!)
Portobello 'Steak' (marinate mushrooms in Italian dressing and grill) and provolone with arugula on garlic bread
Granny Smith apples sautéed in butter (sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar) and Cheddar on raisin bread
Marinara sauce and Mozzarella on Texas Toast

Rena's Hummus

12 oz. canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup lemon juice (or to taste)
3-4 minced garlic cloves, minced (or to taste)
Paprika and extra olive oil, for garnish
1/3 cup tahini paste
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper

Cover chickpeas with fresh water and simmer until mushy; drain. Put all ingredients into food processor and puree until completely smooth. Be patient; it may take several minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a dusting of paprika and a drizzle of olive oil.

If you aren't a big fan of garlic, pan roast a few cloves in olive oil on the stove top to sweeten them; cool and proceed with the recipe. This is great as a sandwich in pita bread (add lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and grilled/fried onions and bell peppers) or served as a side dish. Really delicious and much cheaper than store bought.
Scottish Staffordshire Oatcakes

1 cup dry oatmeal
Scant 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
Scant 1/2 white flour
2 teaspoons dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
3 cups milk (or milk and water)
Scant 1/2 cup water

Topping:
1 cup each: shredded hard British cheese, scrambled egg; sauteed fresh mushrooms; smoked herring; 1 handful of fresh chives, finely chopped; fried tomatoes--really, anything you like
Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste

Don't be intimidated by the yeast. These street food 'pancakes' are easy and delicious. Place the yeast in a bowl with the sugar; mix with a fork while adding a scant half cup of warm water. Stir and set aside for 10 minutes. 

In a large mixing bowl, sieve the oatmeal and flour together. Make a deep well in the center. Pour the yeast into the well. Sprinkle a little of the flour over it. Leave in a warm space for 20 minutes. Beating it gently so all the flour is mixed, gradually add the rest of the warm water and milk. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and leave for at least an hour--ideally two--in a warm place, until the batter doubles in size and the mixture is gently popping.

Heat a large heavy-based frying pan with a little oil over medium heat until smoking. Be warned, your first oatcake won’t be as good as the rest, so eat it immediately (a perk of the job). Pour a ladle of the mixture into the pan and swirl it about so it coats the base (add a little more if need be). Cook for a few minutes on one side. It should be pock-marked and golden. Flip and cook the other side. Repeat.

At this point you can eat them fresh or put some in a bag and freeze. To serve, simply add the cheese and chopped chives and roll. Pop into the oven on low until the cheese has melted, or reheat briefly in the frying pan.
Kedgeree is a British dish of Indian origin. It's delicious, especially for breakfast.

Two 3.25 oz. cans smoked kipper snacks or other fish, with juices
1 cup raw brown basmati rice, prepared (see below)
6 cups water for cooking rice, plus salt
4 eggs
3.5 oz. frozen peas (opt.)
2 T. butter
1 T. sunflower oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 heaped T. medium curry powder
3 T. heavy cream (opt.)
3 T. chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
Half lemon, juice only
Freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste (if needed)

May substitute additional sunflower oil for the butter.

Add salt to six cups of water until it 'tastes like the sea'. Bring to a boil and keep hot.

Stir together raw rice and sunflower oil in a large saucepan. Heat over medium, stirring all the while, until rice is toasted and fragrant; add boiling water, stir once, and return to a gentle boil. Cook rice as for pasta until the grains swell. Remove from heat and drain immediately.

While the rice is cooking, bring more water to the boil in a saucepan. Add the eggs and cook for 8 minutes. Drain them in a sieve under cold running water and when cool enough to handle, peel and set aside.

Melt the butter in a large frying pan and cook the onion over a low heat for 5 minutes until well softened, stirring occasionally. Add the curry powder and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Place the cooked rice into the pan and stir into the onions. Add the peas, cream, parsley, and a few twists of ground black pepper.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Flake the fish into chunky pieces and add them with their juices to the pan. Gently stir in the lemon juice. Spoon mixture into a casserole dish, cover, and bake 30 minutes.

Cut the eggs into quarters and place them on top of the rice and cover the pan again to let eggs heat through for 5 minutes (or until the eggs are warmed) then serve.
(03-15-2020, 09:43 PM)Teresa Agrorum Wrote: Scottish Staffordshire Oatcakes

1 cup dry oatmeal

I want to try this, but I need to know,  are you talking about what passes for oatmeal in the US or real Scottish (or Irish) steel cut oats, which is what the Scots mean when they say oatmeal?
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
Quote:...are you talking about what passes for oatmeal in the US or real Scottish (or Irish) steel cut oats...

Alas, the recipe as given refers to rolled oats. But you can (and should) use steel cut oats, slow cooked until tender.

To the cooled oats add remaining ingredients, stirring in enough milk and water to make the batter pourable. (One of these days I'm going to try these with sourdough too.)
Haluski is a Polish cabbage dish with noodles. But I'm German, so mine contains nutmeg. (My poor husband.)

1 (8 oz.) pkg. egg noodles, cooked al dente
3 T. butter
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 small head cabbage, chopped
Dash or two ground nutmeg
Few dashes ground black pepper
Garlic salt to taste

Place onion in the skillet with butter, and cook and stir over medium heat until it begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in cabbage and nutmeg, cover and lower the heat, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in cooked noodles and heat through. Season and serve hot.