It's Lent: What's for Supper?
Hardtack and peanut butter. Just kidding, but not far from it.  :D
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
Does anyone remember Benedictine Spread?

Serve on sandwich bread with chopped lettuce and sliced tomatoes.

1 1/2 cucumbers
1/2 small white onion
1 1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. white pepper
24 oz. (3 cups) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
Few drops green food coloring (traddy but opt.)

Peel and slice the cucumbers lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and discard. Cut into large pieces.

In a food processor, puree the cucumber and onion together. Squeeze out excess liquid with a cheesecloth or by pressing the mixture through a fine sieve with a spatula.

Combine cucumber and onion pulp with remaining ingredients, either by hand or using the paddle attachment on an electric mixer. Keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.
Rice and Beans is a 'Chef John' recipe and very good.

3 cups basmati white rice
2 t. kosher salt, or to taste
1 t. freshly ground black pepper
2 t. ground cumin
1 T. chili powder
1/4 t. cayenne pepper (opt.)
1/4 t. dried oregano
1/4 cup olive oil
1 (16 oz.) jar tomato salsa or crushed tomatoes
2 cups vegetable broth or water
2 (15 oz.) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained

If you'd like to use brown rice, add an additional 1/2 cup of broth or water and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Pour rice into a casserole dish and season with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and oregano. Pour in olive oil and stir until rice is thoroughly coated with oil. Add salsa, broth or water, and kidney beans; stir until evenly combined. Cover very tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Bake in the preheated oven until rice is tender, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove foil, taste for doneness and adjust seasoning if necessary. Fluff with a fork and serve hot.
Roasted Ratatouille

Now that eggplant is showing up in grocery stores, this fine, otherwise summer garden dish is wonderful. I usually roast the vegetables at a much higher heat (450 to 500 degrees F.) for a shorter period, but then I'm always in a hurry. Serve it Italian style with pasta or as the French do: a side dish topped with a soft fried egg. 

2 cups diced zucchini or summer squash
2 cups diced eggplant
1 onion, diced
3 cups cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
5 sun dried tomatoes, hot-soaked, rinsed, and minced (opt.; see below)
1 T. tomato paste
1 t. dried Italian herb seasoning
1/4 t. dried thyme
1/4 t. dried basil
1 1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. fresh ground pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz. dry spaghetti
Fresh basil, julienned,
Fresh parsley, chopped
Parmesan cheese, shredded

If you are using sundried tomatoes, soak in plenty of boiling hot water for 20 minutes, rinse well, and cut up finely; add less salt, as they are salty in themselves. If not, add more tomato paste as desired.

May substitute fresh paste tomatoes, cut into chunks, for cherry tomatoes.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl combined diced zucchini, eggplant, onion, and cherry tomatoes.

In a small bowl combine olive oil, minced sundried tomatoes, and tomato paste. Add herbs, salt, and pepper. Stir into vegetables and toss until everything is well coated.

Line a sheet pan with non-stick foil or parchment paper. Spread the vegetables in a shallow layer evenly in the pan.

Place in the oven and roast for 45 minutes, stirring the vegetables once halfway through baking. Continue to roast until lightly charred or caramelized to your liking. Stir in garlic and return to oven until fragrant. Remove from oven and cool slightly.

Cook spaghetti until al dente; toss with roasted ratatouille, fresh basil, parsley, and Parmesan. Serve slightly warm for best results.
I found some prepacked Channa Masalla was very helpful. Vegan, easily prepared, easy to store, and tastes pretty decent. That really helped me out a lot, since I needed something I could throw in the work microwave and cook in a few minutes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orthodox Andy's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
Simple easy, good!

"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
Quote:...prepacked Channa Masalla was very helpful.

Had to dig that one up. Very tasty ingredients and looks easy even from scratch. I don't eat much East Indian (DH wasn't raised on spicy foods) but I do enjoy egg curry, another truly great dish.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Teresa Agrorum's post:
  • Orthodox Andy
"But I prefer the ones packed in Louisiana Hot Sauce."

She had me from there... Thanks, JacafamalaRedux!
  • JacafamalaRedux
I must apologize to all of you. After today, easily the strangest day of my life, I have to withdraw from posting, at least until after Easter.

This afternoon my husband drove to a local parish, where Father was waiting at the entrance of the church to bless us in our cars, one by one, and to hand out palms. As we moved forward in the line--it seemed everyone was there--people were leaning out of windows to take pictures.

You have to understand: Father is fairly liberal and so is his parish; they're friendly and genuine, and they really love that Gather songbook. But today Father was in a cassock and surplice; when we finally pulled up he pointed to the birreta on his head and joked that Father _____ will probably say he'd got the thing on all wrong.

[I'd try to post a picture but our diocese is at war--I don't dare. I wish you a blessed Holy Week and a most sacred Triduum.]
  • JacafamalaRedux