Robot uses artificial intelligence and imaging to draw blood
I was pretty good at placing IV lines and drawing blood, both from veins and arteries. It was an acquired skill and some were better than others and as with any skill, there were others better than me. As I got closer to the end of my career, some adjuncts to venipuncture, thermal vein locators and such, started coming out and these have led to this device. It is really cool and I'd love to see how well it works sometime and at my age, I'm beginning to see doctors as frequently as when I worked with them. :rolleyes: 

Article Wrote:Link to Original Article

Robot uses artificial intelligence and imaging to draw blood
by Staff Writers
New Brunswick NJ (SPX) Mar 05, 2020

[Image: tabletop-robotic-device-needles-catheter...ion-hg.jpg]
This tabletop robotic device can accurately steer needles and catheters into tiny blood vessels with minimal supervision.

Rutgers engineers have created a tabletop device that combines a robot, artificial intelligence and near-infrared and ultrasound imaging to draw blood or insert catheters to deliver fluids and drugs.

Their most recent research results, published in the journal Nature Machine Intelligence, suggest that autonomous systems like the image-guided robotic device could outperform people on some complex medical tasks.

Medical robots could reduce injuries and improve the efficiency and outcomes of procedures, as well as carry out tasks with minimal supervision when resources are limited. This would allow health care professionals to focus more on other critical aspects of medical care and enable emergency medical providers to bring advanced interventions and resuscitation efforts to remote and resource-limited areas.

"Using volunteers, models and animals, our team showed that the device can accurately pinpoint blood vessels, improving success rates and procedure times compared with expert health care professionals, especially with difficult to access blood vessels," said senior author Martin L. Yarmush, Paul and Mary Monroe Chair and Distinguished Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering in the School of Engineering at Rutgers University-New Brunswick.

Getting access to veins, arteries and other blood vessels is a critical first step in many diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. They include drawing blood, administering fluids and medications, introducing devices such as stents and monitoring health. The timeliness of procedures can be critical, but gaining access to blood vessels in many people can be quite challenging.

Failures occur in an estimated 20 percent of procedures, and difficulties increase in people with small, twisted, rolling or collapsed blood vessels, which are common in pediatric, elderly, chronically ill and trauma patients, the study says. In these groups, the first-stick accuracy rate is below 50 percent and at least five attempts are often needed, leading to delays in treatment.

Bleeding complications can arise when major adjacent arteries, nerves or internal organs are punctured, and the risk of complication rises significantly with multiple attempts. When nearby blood vessels are inaccessible, more invasive approaches such as central venous or arterial access are often required.

The robotic device can accurately steer needles and catheters into tiny blood vessels with minimal supervision. It combines artificial intelligence with near-infrared and ultrasound imaging to perform complex visual tasks, including identifying the blood vessels from the surrounding tissue, classifying them and estimating their depth, followed by motion tracking. In other published work, the authors have shown that the device can serve as a platform to merge automated blood-drawing and downstream analysis of blood.

Next steps include more research on the device in a broader range of people, including those with normal and difficult blood vessels to access.

"Not only can the device be used for patients, but it can also be modified to draw blood in rodents, a procedure which is extremely important for drug testing in animals in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries," Yarmush said.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain
Two cents and a halfpenny:

Call me a Luddite, but I prefer the technician that must stick me three or four times, apologizing profusely all the while (my veins are difficult to find), to a machine that gets the job done but cannot smile or draw a paycheck.
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Teresa Agrorum's post:
  • Zedta
(03-05-2020, 02:31 PM)Teresa Agrorum Wrote: Two cents and a halfpenny:

Call me a Luddite, but I prefer the technician that must stick me three or four times, apologizing profusely all the while (my veins are difficult to find), to a machine that gets the job done but cannot smile or draw a paycheck.
:tiphat: I get your point,   :P !

It does give one some satisfaction to complain about bad technique to someone that can understand what you're saying!
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zedta's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
Unless I designed it myself, I'd have a hard time trusting it if it hasn't worked flawlessly on at least 1000 people.
:monstrance:Deo Gratias et Ave Maria! :monstrance:
Pray the Rosary

A Dieu mon ame,
Mon arme au roi,
Mon Coeur a la dame,
Mon honneur a moi!
[-] The following 2 users Like ServusDei's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum, Zedta
(03-05-2020, 02:31 PM)Teresa Agrorum Wrote: Two cents and a halfpenny:

Ah, but the technician who has to fix these machines will.  :D
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'And he shall be as a tree that is planted by the waters, that spreadeth out its roots towards moisture: and it shall not fear when the heat cometh.' - Jeremias 17:8
[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum, Zedta
Quote:It does give one some satisfaction to complain about bad technique to someone that can understand what you're saying!
Ha, ha, actually, it's my veins that are at fault, and I always end up apologizing myself. Lab techs have to deal with all kinds--amazing how some people go to pieces when you pull out a needle.

(Now my abject apologies to people who go to pieces when you pull out a needle...  :rolleyes:)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Teresa Agrorum's post:
  • Zedta
(03-06-2020, 04:20 PM)Teresa Agrorum Wrote:
Quote:It does give one some satisfaction to complain about bad technique to someone that can understand what you're saying!
Ha, ha, actually, it's my veins that are at fault, and I always end up apologizing myself. Lab techs have to deal with all kinds--amazing how some people go to pieces when you pull out a needle.

(Now my abject apologies to people who go to pieces when you pull out a needle...  :rolleyes:)
I'm one of those people that fall to pieces. I know it has to be done so I go through with it but I had better be sitting down. Things tend to start going black when the needle comes out even if I know I'm not going to feel a thing. I've never been able to get over it.

I think it's funny that I have this issue and laugh at myself.

That machine is super intriguing though.
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
[-] The following 2 users Like SeeTheLight's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum, Zedta
Quote:That machine is super intriguing though.

I'd probably go to pieces if I had to use one.  :D
[-] The following 2 users Like Teresa Agrorum's post:
  • SeeTheLight, Zedta