The Jerome Biblical Commentary
Has anyone read this, or even parts of it? I came across it tonight when looking for a decent Catholic commentary on the Bible, and figured you can't go wrong with St. Jerome's interpretation of Scripture. Would this particular book be worth investing in? Is the New Jerome Commentary comparable? Thanks in advance.

Amazon link
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'And he shall be as a tree that is planted by the waters, that spreadeth out its roots towards moisture: and it shall not fear when the heat cometh.' - Jeremias 17:8
The title is a little misleading because it's not Jerome's interpretation of Scripture. I am only a little familiar with this commentary, it is academically interesting but I'd take what you read in it with a grain of salt. With any modern commentary on Scripture you have to be wary, misusing historical/higher criticism is very easy and it's a fatal flaw in many of these, The New Jerome Commentary is even worse for this.
"If your heart comes to feel a natural hatred for sin, it has defeated the causes of sin and freed itself from them. Keep hell’s torments in mind; but know that your Helper is at hand. Do nothing that will grieve Him, but say to Him with tears: ‘Be merciful and deliver me, O Lord, for without Thy help I cannot escape from the hands of my enemies.’ Be attentive to your heart, and He will guard you from all evil."

- St. Isaias the Solitary

"Constant action overcomes cold; being still overcomes heat. Purity
and stillness give the correct law to all under heaven."

- Tao Te Ching 45
[-] The following 2 users Like Florus's post:
  • Augustinian, newenglandsun
(03-12-2020, 10:13 PM)Florus Wrote: The title is a little misleading because it's not Jerome's interpretation of Scripture. I am only a little familiar with this commentary, it is academically interesting but I'd take what you read in it with a grain of salt. With any modern commentary on Scripture you have to be wary, misusing historical/higher criticism is very easy and it's a fatal flaw in many of these, The New Jerome Commentary is even worse for this.

My mistake. Now I'm much more wary hearing that it is a modern commentary. I looked into some of the contributors to the New Jerome Commentary and one of them is author of the modernist book "A Marginal Jew", so that already puts up a big red flag.

I suppose I'll just look for an online version of Haydock's or Lapide's commentaries instead.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'And he shall be as a tree that is planted by the waters, that spreadeth out its roots towards moisture: and it shall not fear when the heat cometh.' - Jeremias 17:8
I've found the best commentaries are really to just read the Father's.  It's less organized than in some compendium but I've never found a modern Biblical commentary that wasn't deeply disturbing in some of its interpretations.  I remember the first time I read the NAB I actually thought that if anyone actually took the commentary seriously there would be no room for any kind of real faith since it was eviscerated by skepticism. I don't generally trust ANY modern commentary.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
[-] The following 1 user Likes formerbuddhist's post:
  • Augustinian
(03-12-2020, 10:22 PM)Augustinian Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 10:13 PM)Florus Wrote: The title is a little misleading because it's not Jerome's interpretation of Scripture. I am only a little familiar with this commentary, it is academically interesting but I'd take what you read in it with a grain of salt. With any modern commentary on Scripture you have to be wary, misusing historical/higher criticism is very easy and it's a fatal flaw in many of these, The New Jerome Commentary is even worse for this.

My mistake. Now I'm much more wary hearing that it is a modern commentary. I looked into some of the contributors to the New Jerome Commentary and one of them is author of the modernist book "A Marginal Jew", so that already puts up a big red flag.

I suppose I'll just look for an online version of Haydock's or Lapide's commentaries instead.

I own a copy of the New Jerome Biblical Commentary.  Have you read any of the footnotes in some of the New American Bible translations?  Thoroughly modernist or liberal, heavily slanted in favor of using historical higher criticism to discredit traditional interpretations of the Scriptures.  That's the New Jerome Biblical Commentary, on a massive scale.  I agree with Florus that it is academically interesting, while its uses for helping the average Catholic grow in their faith or understanding of the Scriptures is more or less non-existent.  I would love to find a list of different commentaries on the books of Scripture that were written by the Early Church Fathers.  I know of a few such commentaries but not enough to do a serious study using the Fathers as my guide.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SeekerofChrist's post:
  • Augustinian
I bought years ago the Jerome Biblical Commentary, so I am curious how the New JC departed from or differs? I reckon it means more modern interpretations, sure. Any idea why it was revised and "updated" as to who wanted this and why?
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)
(03-13-2020, 05:34 PM)Fionnchu Wrote:  Any idea why it was revised and "updated" as to who wanted this and why?

Probably because the (secular) publisher, Prentice-Hall, thought they could make more money by producing a 'new and updated' edition.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Fionnchu, SeekerofChrist