COULD a Confession be done by phone or video call in a worst-case scenario?
(03-16-2020, 07:01 PM)SeekerofChrist Wrote: Also, we all know we must confess our sins to the best of our ability.  In the case of a general absolution in an emergency, our ability to make a confession of our sins in kind and number is impossible.  I don't know the specifics of a general absolution but I imagine it includes a general confession of sin, which is the best the group can manage under the circumstances.

Yes, I'm reminded of the 911 firefighters going into the building who were given general absolution before entering.  They would have to recollect their sins to themselves and intend to go to confession should they survive.  

What a consolation that priest provided them!
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sacred Heart lover's post:
  • SeekerofChrist
(03-16-2020, 06:01 PM)FultonFan Wrote: I don’t know the theology of the Sacraments well enough to know.

Obviously, I'm not an expert but there are a few general things to keep in mind about the Sacraments.  For a sacrament to be performed validly, you must have correct matter and form, and correct minister and recipient.  Take baptism as an example.  The matter is water and the form is "I baptize you in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."  The minister can actually be anyone, but unless there is danger of death, it is normally a deacon or priest.  The recipient is an unbaptized person.  If the priest baptizes the baby or catechumen with fruit juice but uses correct the form (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) an essential element is missing (water) and so the baptism is invalid.  If a layman baptizes his grandson because the parents are atheists, but does everything else correctly, the baptism is valid but illicit (illegally done).  Every sacrament has a specific matter and form, minister and recipient.  Remove one of them and the whole thing is invalid.
[-] The following 3 users Like SeekerofChrist's post:
  • jovan66102, MagisterMusicae, Sacred Heart lover
If it comes to it, most traditional confessions are not going to be good vectors for transmission, even if the priest himself were infected, since because of the limited airflow between the penitent's side and priest there should not be much chance of aerosolized droplets passing between them. 

That said, plenty could be done to improve an already good confessional with a few basic items.

The penitent could wear a mask, as could the priest.

The grill could be covered with some air-proof membrane to prevent droplets passing even more, like Saran Wrap or the equivalent.

Confessions could be made quickly and matter-of-fact (as they ought to be) limiting the time of exposure of anyone.

And then there's always, as Fr Z has suggested the hearing-impaired option, which I've seen in a few confessionals before, where on the penitent's side there's phone handset that if you are near-deaf you pick up, and it alerts the priest to pick up his end, and the person can speak quietly, but still hear the priest very loudly without everyone else. You're still present to the priest, so there's no issue.

The validity issue is physical presence to the priest, and most moral theologians say it's average speaking distance, which is about 20 feet or so.
[-] The following 3 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102, Sacred Heart lover, SeekerofChrist
You'll have to go to the link for the picture.

Priest Offers Drive-Thru Confessions Amid Church Lockdown for Coronavirus

From ChurchPOP

How creative! Should more priests do this right now?

Fr. Scott Holmer of St. Edward the Confessor Catholic Church in Bowie, Md. is offering drive-thru confessions to his parishioners after the Archdiocese of Washington suspended all public Masses, effective Mar. 14.

Fr. Holmer issued a statement on his parish’s website explaining that “the Mass is the heart of our life together as Catholics.”

“It is certainly a source of sorrow that none of us are able to attend Mass together because of the health crisis threatening our nation and the world,” he said.

“I would ask you to unite your prayers with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass that I will be offering in private by spending some time each day in personal prayer and by continuing to maintain your Lenten discipline of prayer, fasting, and works of mercy.”

[b]The priest then announced that he will offer daily confessions during the time he normally celebrates Mass.[/b]

[b]“Since I cannot guarantee your physical safety by opening up the Church or the office to visitors, I have set up a ‘drive through confessional’ and will be hearing confessions in the Church parking lot to maintain a six-foot distance while penitents stay in their cars,” Fr. Holmer said.[/b]

Fr. Holmer added that Seminarian Joseph McHenry will direct traffic. The priest will also blindfold his face for those wishing to go  “behind-the-screen.”

“This is turning out to be a Lent unlike any other,” Fr. Holmer said. “I believe the Lord is inviting us to an increased concern for the welfare of our neighbors and offering us the opportunity to make sacrifices for them. What a great Lenten penance for us all.”
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover, SeekerofChrist
(03-16-2020, 10:09 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: You'll have to go to the link for the picture.

Priest Offers Drive-Thru Confessions Amid Church Lockdown for Coronavirus

From ChurchPOP

How creative! Should more priests do this right now?

Fr. Scott Holmer of St. Edward the Confessor Catholic Church in Bowie, Md. is offering drive-thru confessions to his parishioners after the Archdiocese of Washington suspended all public Masses, effective Mar. 14.

Fr. Holmer issued a statement on his parish’s website explaining that “the Mass is the heart of our life together as Catholics.”

“It is certainly a source of sorrow that none of us are able to attend Mass together because of the health crisis threatening our nation and the world,” he said.

“I would ask you to unite your prayers with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass that I will be offering in private by spending some time each day in personal prayer and by continuing to maintain your Lenten discipline of prayer, fasting, and works of mercy.”

[b]The priest then announced that he will offer daily confessions during the time he normally celebrates Mass.[/b]

[b]“Since I cannot guarantee your physical safety by opening up the Church or the office to visitors, I have set up a ‘drive through confessional’ and will be hearing confessions in the Church parking lot to maintain a six-foot distance while penitents stay in their cars,” Fr. Holmer said.[/b]

Fr. Holmer added that Seminarian Joseph McHenry will direct traffic. The priest will also blindfold his face for those wishing to go  “behind-the-screen.”

“This is turning out to be a Lent unlike any other,” Fr. Holmer said. “I believe the Lord is inviting us to an increased concern for the welfare of our neighbors and offering us the opportunity to make sacrifices for them. What a great Lenten penance for us all.”

That's awesome! :D
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!