It's Official. No Public Masses In The United States
(03-19-2020, 08:09 PM)19405 Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 03:01 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 02:49 PM)Eric F Wrote: https://www.churchmilitant.com/news/arti...s-blackout

It's pretty obvious it's up to the laity alone now, with very few exceptions.

Well, various SSPX chapels still have Mass where the restrictions on gatherings allow.

Of course, Church Militant (or at least it's donors) doesn't think the SSPX is Catholic.

Is it irresponsible to attend an SSPX Mass for me? I have a pregnant wife with diabetes and a mom around the corner who's on chemo.

Sounds like it'd not be a good idea to attend any Mass if you have two people close to you that could be at high risk were you to get sick.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102
(03-19-2020, 02:49 PM)Eric F Wrote: https://www.churchmilitant.com/news/arti...s-blackout

Well, various SSPX chapels still have Mass where the restrictions on gatherings allow.

Of course, Church Militant (or at least it's donors) doesn't think the SSPX is Catholic.

Is it irresponsible to attend an SSPX Mass for me? I have a pregnant wife with diabetes and a mom around the corner who's on chemo.
Working grocery, I posed this same question to a Ruthenian deacon I've known for a while who is essentially, to me, a spiritual director. He gave me the answer "no". I've known this man 6 1/2 years. If there is anything I know about him is how in tuned he is with God. He has never lead me astray on anything. So starting Wednesday, I had made the decision to not return to Church for the time being.

That's also when my Melkite bishop gave the Eparchy of Newton a dispensation from Sunday liturgy and Holy Day obligations. We must fast right now. Not just from food but also from the Lord's body until we approach it again with reverence and with faith.
[-] The following 1 user Likes newenglandsun's post:
Someone said it best in the comments; I will summarize: Given the disrespect Our Lord has been shown in the NO, perhaps He will be given a proper Mass which still continues in private.
(03-21-2020, 12:25 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Someone said it best in the comments; I will summarize:  Given the disrespect Our Lord has been shown in the NO, perhaps He will be given a proper Mass which still continues in private.

With no witnesses, most priests just won't say Mass, just like most of them don't say their hours.
(03-20-2020, 05:52 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:

Sounds like it'd not be a good idea to attend any Mass if you have two people close to you that could be at high risk were you to get sick.

Well then, maybe it's not so ridiculous that public Masses have been suspended.
(03-21-2020, 12:39 PM)19405 Wrote: With no witnesses, most priests just won't say Mass, just like most of them don't say their hours.

Unless they have totally apostatised, I somehow doubt that. I'm sure even Priests who didn't celebrate daily are doing it now.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • gospel654
Well, I am not okay with this (not that what I think matters).
I attempted to attend the vigil Mass tonight and found the Church doors locked, and a notice outside God's Blessed House stating "All Public Masses Cancelled".
(Our priest did say the previous week that all intentions would continue to be prayed by him in private Mass should public Mass be cancelled).
I have been attending this parish since 1979 and, to my recollection, during that time Mass has only been cancelled one other time, sometime in the late 1980s if memory serves, because of an ice storm. We have had many such severe weather events since then and Mass has never been suspended (I live in a Northern climate).
I am very disappointed in our hierarchy.
The Church has been through worse and I think public Masses should continue.
So, here's something strange I found out tonight.

Apparently our priest is going to say Mass as normal tomorrow morning in the chapel and have us all stay outside in our vehicles. Then, when it comes time for Communion, he is going to come outside and have us approach in small groups to receive.

It is a very strange way to try and get around these government mandates... I want to go in case this is the last time I receive Communion for a long time, but it's just such a weird means to do so.

Edit: I don't know, something is just weird to me sitting in my vehicle without being able to follow the Mass properly and then waiting for Communion. I pray for those in my parish who do attend, but I think I'll follow a livestream.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • gospel654