Poll: Should old and weak people be sacrificed so the economy can go on?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, absolutely. Let COVID-19 rip through the world. Like removing a Band-Aid, it will be over fast.
9.09%
1 9.09%
Yes but there should be measures to limit their chances of infection.
18.18%
2 18.18%
No but but there should be measures to limit their chances of infection.
54.55%
6 54.55%
No, absolutely not. I would rather the world suffer a decade-long economic depression than let one person die of COVID-19.
18.18%
2 18.18%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Should old and weak people be sacrificed so the economy can go on?
There is some discussion on the matter:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/texas-lieu...l-economy/

Consider the costs: The rush to impose sweeping restrictions on public and commercial life across the entire economy should be more carefully evaluated- The Spectator 

Please excuse the NSFW language in the following image.

[Image: dCeXFOm.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bombero's post:
  • Augustinian
Piety in the Time of Coronavirus

As the Millennials and  Zoomers call COVID-19 the 'Boomer Remover' and 'Boomer Doomer', it is obvious that they not only have no piety, they don't know what the concept means.

From Crisis
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 8 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • antiquarian, Augustinian, Bombero, Ioannes_L, Melkite, SeeTheLight, Teresa Agrorum, Zedta
It really depends on what you mean by "no" and "yes" between options 2 and 3--the only ones that have ethical realities I could actually confess. I would have to say not to sacrifice them. That said, as I have mentioned on other threads, COVID-19 doesn't play an "old and weak" game like other contagious diseases. It seems to be a merciless killer when it wants to be and nothing when it doesn't want to be.
[-] The following 3 users Like newenglandsun's post:
  • Augustinian, josh987654321, Teresa Agrorum
Hmmm, let's see, a virus that could wipe out the combined wisdom on the entire planet in one fell swoop. Can anyone say mark of the beast?

Having a smart phone does not make you smart, dummy.

And, in my experience - evil gloats - so don't.
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
That image just shows how truly helpless the global leadership is. Either we lay down and accept what has been inflicted on us, or we destroy ourselves trying to fight it.

It reminds me of the dilemma Jeremias put forth to the Israelites: accept the yoke of Babylon or be destroyed by their hand. We either accept the suffering of this virus as an act of God, or continue to scramble to fight it and destroy ourselves in the process. There's no easy way out of it without suffering and death.

The entire globe is stuck between a rock and a hard place, it seems, as this develops. I feel for those without faith who are losing their minds at the apocalyptic tone this crisis is reaching.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'And he shall be as a tree that is planted by the waters, that spreadeth out its roots towards moisture: and it shall not fear when the heat cometh.' - Jeremias 17:8
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • Zedta
I think overall Countries are doing the right thing, we will just have to wait and see how long it lasts. There is still much they don't know about COVID-19 (another reason why it's foolish for the young to think they are immune) so at least this buys time for them to come up with some effective treatments, learn more etc and flatten the curve... hopefully the economy will be able to spring back and wont be in ruins.

The only bad and dangerous decision is shutting down the Churches, they could just dispense the sick and high risk, and just keep 1 meter distance and maximum 10 or 50 people and just hold multiple Masses, even if we only get one once a month in small numbers is better then none, they could work something out to cope with the restrictions.

"For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

God Bless You
Jesus to St Faustina:

"For you I descended from heaven to earth; for you I allowed myself to be nailed to the cross; for you I let my Sacred Heart be pierced with a lance, thus opening wide the source of mercy for you. Come, then, with trust to draw graces from this fountain. I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

"Remember My Passion, and if you do not believe My words, at least believe My wounds." (Diary, 379)

"It is in My Passion that you must seek light and strength." (Diary, 654)
A global depression is not an acceptable cost. After a couple weeks, let the rest of us go to work, so we can pay for the at-risk who need to be quarantined. People will die if the economy fails.
[-] The following 3 users Like 19405's post:
  • antiquarian, newenglandsun, Zedta
(03-26-2020, 02:13 AM)19405 Wrote: A global depression is not an acceptable cost. After a couple weeks, let the rest of us go to work, so we can pay for the at-risk who need to be quarantined. People will die if the economy fails.

True, it's a gamble either way, you don't want to underestimate this virus either. If it happens to be a prolonged period of time, they may have no choice, since if we are going to get it year after year now, then you can't keep things shut down forever and a depression + this virus would be even worse, but in this space of time hopefully they'll be able to learn some more about the virus.

Also makes you wonder, our nations have sodomy and abortion in law, and they openly practiced idolatry by honoring a pagan demon in the Vatican (pachamama).

"For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

God Bless You
Jesus to St Faustina:

"For you I descended from heaven to earth; for you I allowed myself to be nailed to the cross; for you I let my Sacred Heart be pierced with a lance, thus opening wide the source of mercy for you. Come, then, with trust to draw graces from this fountain. I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

"Remember My Passion, and if you do not believe My words, at least believe My wounds." (Diary, 379)

We can starve to death or work and accept the deaths that will come with it. There is no good option. Epidemics have been common until the last 60 or so years.
(03-26-2020, 07:49 AM)For Petes Sake Wrote: We can starve to death or work and accept the deaths that will come with it. There is no good option. Epidemics have been common until the last 60 or so years.

Id rather they try this first to learn more about the virus while assessing economic impact, if it's too prolonged they may have to. Interestingly enough, I read through private revelation that the Anti Christ will rise to power through the worlds economic collapse... currently every Country is on non essentials lock down, if our economies don't bounce back, then the ground is ripe for a world economic collapse and the rise of the Anti Christ. So pray it passes quickly and our economies bounce back.

Note too Masses are shut down, yet we can have weddings and funerals with a strict limit to 5 or 10 people, why on earth have our Priests and Bishops not argued the same for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass? Once a month (to get through everyone in small numbers, dispensing the sick and high risk of course) with 5 or 10 people is certainly better then none at all.

God Bless You
Jesus to St Faustina:

[-] The following 4 users Like josh987654321's post:
  • antiquarian, Augustinian, Teresa Agrorum, Zedta