Vitamin C
Hi,

Just a small heads up, I felt like I 'might' have been coming down with something, so I tried the Vitamin C thing out, and I just want to give you all a word of warning, because I think I overdid it. I took 1,000mg tablets broken up with 1,000mg per hour like this -
Day 1 - 2,000mg
Day 2 - 6,000mg
Day 3 - 3,000mg
Day 4 - 2,000mg
Day 5 - 2,000mg
Day 6 - 2,000mg

Then around Day 5 I had a little trouble sleeping and after Day 6 I had a lot of trouble sleeping, I felt like something was wrong but didn't know what so I got the shakes especially with all this COVID-19 stuff going around but was sure there was no way I could have had that and I didn't have a temperature, sore throat or cough. Instead It was Insomnia and some Diarrhea which are symptoms of having too much Vitamin C, so I'm definitely laying off the stuff for a while and if I do get sick and heaven forbid COVID 19 then I'll just take the 2,000mg a day as per instructions for maximum limit and cut it off day 4 or 5 and only when I'm sure I'm sick.

I'm 28 with no underlying health issues or other medications at all.

Hope this helps and God Bless You. :)
Jesus to St Faustina:

"For you I descended from heaven to earth; for you I allowed myself to be nailed to the cross; for you I let my Sacred Heart be pierced with a lance, thus opening wide the source of mercy for you. Come, then, with trust to draw graces from this fountain. I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

"Remember My Passion, and if you do not believe My words, at least believe My wounds." (Diary, 379)

"It is in My Passion that you must seek light and strength." (Diary, 654)
[-] The following 1 user Likes josh987654321's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
(03-25-2020, 08:27 PM)josh987654321 Wrote: Hi,

Just a small heads up, I felt like I 'might' have been coming down with something, so I tried the Vitamin C thing out, and I just want to give you all a word of warning, because I think I overdid it. I took 1,000mg tablets broken up with 1,000mg per hour like this -
Day 1 - 2,000mg
Day 2 - 6,000mg
Day 3 - 3,000mg
Day 4 - 2,000mg
Day 5 - 2,000mg
Day 6 - 2,000mg

Then around Day 5 I had a little trouble sleeping and after Day 6 I had a lot of trouble sleeping, I felt like something was wrong but didn't know what so I got the shakes especially with all this COVID-19 stuff going around but was sure there was no way I could have had that and I didn't have a temperature, sore throat or cough. Instead It was Insomnia and some Diarrhea which are symptoms of having too much Vitamin C, so I'm definitely laying off the stuff for a while and if I do get sick and heaven forbid COVID 19 then I'll just take the 2,000mg a day as per instructions for maximum limit and cut it off day 4 or 5 and only when I'm sure I'm sick.

I'm 28 with no underlying health issues or other medications at all.

Hope this helps and God Bless You. :)
You were taking a supplement! Those are good for people suffering deficiencies. Vitamin C is not a cure! It is a vitamin which strengthens the immune system. But if you are getting enough from your diet, you shouldn't be taking a supplement.
(03-25-2020, 08:34 PM)newenglandsun Wrote: You were taking a supplement! Those are good for people suffering deficiencies. Vitamin C is not a cure! It is a vitamin which strengthens the immune system. But if you are getting enough from your diet, you shouldn't be taking a supplement.

I know, it was only because I thought I might have been coming down with something and I wanted to try a boost to see if it worked, but I overdid it.

I also don't know how much I get from my diet, but if I do definitely get sick (not just feel like I might) I'll take it again, but only in 2,000mg per day lots and no more then 4 or 5 days because it does work, just have to be very careful not to overdo it.

God Bless You
Jesus to St Faustina:

"For you I descended from heaven to earth; for you I allowed myself to be nailed to the cross; for you I let my Sacred Heart be pierced with a lance, thus opening wide the source of mercy for you. Come, then, with trust to draw graces from this fountain. I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

"Remember My Passion, and if you do not believe My words, at least believe My wounds." (Diary, 379)

Please understand: I am not a doctor, just an average person with a great deal of experience with vitamin C.

A healthy body requires an adjustment period in order to make the best use of oral vitamin C. There is an upper limit for oral C (the law of diminishing returns) after which you don't get much more benefit from more C. This varies per person. YMMV.

IVC (intravenous C) has a far higher upper limit, in hundreds of thousands of milligrams. (In fact, there may not be an upper limit for IVC.) Vitamin C was used to cure polio (extensively documented; see here) and it is apparently one of the few known virucides that isn't an outright poison. Yes, vitamin C can cure viruses.

So why don't more healthy people take C? It's that adjustment period--take too much too soon, and you'll spend lots of time in the bathroom due to bowel intolerance (see here). And you'll feel 'off'. If I followed the schedule you listed without prior adaptation, I'd be sick too.

Instead, begin by taking as much C as you can without hitting bowel intolerance--for most healthy adults, this is from 500mg to 1,000mg per day, split into two doses. Stay on this schedule for a week. Then bump it up: if you began with 500mg, take 750mg (500 + 250); if 1,000mg, take 1,500mg. Continue at this level for a week. Should you want to increase further, bump up as before, in the same increments for the same time period. I myself take 6,000mg per day, divided into two doses. I'm diabetic, and vitamin C prevents the capillary damage that causes blindness, kidney disease, and even heart disease. Anyone having a chronic illness should take a careful look at this miraculous substance. Please don't take my word for it; read up.

If you're already sick, please ignore all schedules and take AS MUCH VITAMIN C AS IS NECESSARY TO RELIEVE SYMPTOMS. The sicker you are, the more C your body can take and use to your benefit. You'll know when you've taken too much (bowel intolerance). Dr. Linus Pauling, a two-time Nobel Prize winner, was famous for saying that the problem with vitamin C was that people took far too little of it--don't be afraid to hit bowel intolerance; aside from the temporary inconvenience, 'too much' C can't hurt you. Your body will harmlessly flush away the excess. Then back down the dose until the symptoms remain at bay but the bowel intolerance disappears. As you recover you'll find it necessary to back down again and again, until you are well and taking the amount of that is normal for you. (See paragraph above; this amount varies from person to person.)

I've been recommending sodium ascorbate (buffered, non-acidic C) re: coronavirus for the simple reason that when a person is ill he needs additional salt to stave off dehydration. But there's clinical evidence that the sodium in this preparation of vitamin C doesn't raise salt levels in the blood enough to cause trouble in sodium-restricted individuals. Again, look it up. (I love to be proven wrong.)

I hope this helps someone thinking of trying vitamin C. If it does, please offer in thanks a prayer for Dr. Pauling's poor soul. In his final years, the pioneer of vitamin C research announced that he had become an atheist--a truly sad ending for this genius who had done so much for others.
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Teresa Agrorum's post:
  • HailGilbert
(03-25-2020, 11:11 PM)Teresa Agrorum Wrote: I myself take 6,000mg per day, divided into two doses.

Wow, that's huge. Id be very careful, because it warns that by taking it regularly and in such large doses you increase your risk of kidney stones.

(03-25-2020, 11:11 PM)Teresa Agrorum Wrote: 'too much' C can't hurt you. Your body will harmlessly flush away the excess.

Well Insomnia and Diarrhea isn't fun. The Insomnia was bad and just hit for 1am - 4am and then I slept in to about 10am

I'm not going to try and build up a tolerance to it, since by taking it regularly I'll be increasing my risk of kidney stones, but if I get sick, I'll take the recommended dose to alleviate symptoms (max 2,000mg per day for adults), I don't think I'll ever try the 'bomb' again (6,000mg in one day) unless I'm really sick and there is nothing else I can try.

God Bless You
Jesus to St Faustina:

[-] The following 1 user Likes josh987654321's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
Quote:Id be very careful, because it warns that by taking it regularly and in such large doses you increase your risk of kidney stones.

It's interesting you should write this; I was thinking about it only today.

Previously I had a terrible history of oxalate kidney stones, frequent and very painful, and I always ended needing surgery. Since taking the C I have not had even the slightest indication. Recently I received an MRI (for back trouble); there were no stones in my kidneys. 

Just sayin'.  :D
  • HailGilbert
Quote:I don't think I'll ever try the 'bomb' again (6,000mg in one day) unless I'm really sick and there is nothing else I can try.

Bombing (a sudden, significant increase in vitamin C) is only useful when you are sick. When you're healthy, it's a sheer nuisance.  :P
  • HailGilbert
So, early reports suggest that quinine is potentially helpful against COVID-19. Vitamin C is an immune booster.

Quinine is the bittering agent in tonic water (although it is in very minute quantities in the bubbly water). Limes contain lots of Vitamin C.

Thus, I've prescribed myself an overdose of Gin and Tonics, with extra lime. In fact, the whole thought came to me after 6000 mL (about 1 3/4 gallons) of Gin and Tonic, and it made lots of sense then ...