Stephen King and female characters!!!
I first read King a few years ago and fell in love. I was a pretty hardcore King fan but throughout the years as I have read more and more books of his, I have gotten turned off by him. His female characters tend to be straight out annoying and if not are usually just there to have sex with the main male character.

For me I reached my limit with The Gunslinger- it was a book everyone raved about but when I actually started to read it, it seemed like all of the female characters were just there to have sex with Roland and had no kind of personality.

I did not finish it so maybe there was a character that came along later in the series that contradicts this, but I see this in a lot of the works that I have read of his. auto clicker

If they do not serve those two purposes (the nagging wife or the sexual fulfillment), then they are the subject of the wrath and brutality of their husband. I was curious to know what others thought of this (whether you agree or disagree
I enjoy many of his classic novels and novellas, but in my opinion, King peaked in the 90s. Plus, he makes people unnecessarily vulgar and vile, especially children, in some sort of way to make them seem more "authentic." I mean, yeah, I had friends that cussed when I was a kid, but not the way King writes them.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'And he shall be as a tree that is planted by the waters, that spreadeth out its roots towards moisture: and it shall not fear when the heat cometh.' - Jeremias 17:8
I quit reading Stephen King about 25 years ago. While I enjoyed reading the first several books, I came to realize that his writing is quite formulaic. The way he describes his characters from book-to-book is almost entirely the same. (For example, count how many times he uses the descriptive "blue smoke" to prepare a scene in different books.) Also, because it is formulaic, the stories tend to blur with one.

That being said, I still think one of the best books I've read was "The Stand." It's been nearly 30 years since I read that, and I still remember it quite well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bonaventure's post:
  • Augustinian