Some questions about fast/abstinence
This may be splitting hairs, but I have some questions I have been wondering about of certain things regarding fast and abstinence.

During days of required fast and abstinence:

1. Does  taking Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol), which is taken off the fat from sheep’s wool, whether in supplement form or added to food, count as meat?

2. If there is a pizza or a sub with meat in it that is cut, can a vegetarian pizza or sub still be eaten if it’s cut with that same unwashed knife?

3. Can supplements be taken and not violate fasting even if it’s not a necessity?

4. Can some supplements be consumed if they are condensed whole food in pill form or powder like the brand Balance of Nature without breaking the fast?
(03-26-2020, 01:59 AM)Slayer Wrote: This may be splitting hairs,

Yes it is.

The law of abstinence forbids the eating of the flesh of warm-blooded animals. Small traces or even flavorings are fine, as is cooking with animal fat, provided it is fairly well separated from the meat.

Fasting is only broken when you eat something as food. Medicine is not food. Some food (like candy for a diabetic) can be medicine, and so would not break the fast.

(03-26-2020, 01:59 AM)Slayer Wrote: 1. Does  taking Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol), which is taken off the fat from sheep’s wool, whether in supplement form or added to food, count as meat?

No. It is not meat. It is fat.

(03-26-2020, 01:59 AM)Slayer Wrote: 2. If there is a pizza or a sub with meat in it that is cut, can a vegetarian pizza or sub still be eaten if it’s cut with that same unwashed knife?

Yes. Unless you intentionally cut off large chunks of pepperoni and add them to your veggie pizza.

(03-26-2020, 01:59 AM)Slayer Wrote: 3. Can supplements be taken and not violate fasting even if it’s not a necessity?

If its not just a substitute for food, then yes. Drinking a meal-replacement protein shake as a supplement is basically eating.

(03-26-2020, 01:59 AM)Slayer Wrote: 4. Can some supplements be consumed if they are condensed whole food in pill form or powder like the brand Balance of Nature without breaking the fast?

Yes. Same reason. They are medicine, not food. If you were making some shake or smoothie which was essentially condensed solid food or puréed solid food, then you're eating solid food.

The key here is what a common person would consider food or meat. Don't be Pharisaical. It will make your life miserable.
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • antiquarian, jovan66102
(03-26-2020, 01:59 AM)Slayer Wrote: This may be splitting hairs, but I have some questions I have been wondering about of certain things regarding fast and abstinence. 

I can't answer you except to say that you are worrying too much about the details. We're not Jews, with all the pilpul they engage in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bombero's post:
  • jovan66102
Thank you both for answering. I had scruples about it. This has helped.