Stop Saying that We Aren't Saying the Mass!
Preach it, Don Alberto! Preach it!

Reflection by Don Alberto Secci of the church of St Catherine of Alexandria in Vocogno, the Vigezzo Valley, Piedmont, Italy. Recorded 26 March 2020.

Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 5 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • 19405, Adventus, Ioannes_L, karl, newenglandsun
When Our Lord Celebrated the great Mass of His Crucifixion, they did not go out of fear of the Pharisees (COVID-19), not because they were banned from going.

You can call me a capricious baby all you want. In Australia we can still get a haircut for 30min, that's more of a necessity then the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, so that tells you something is seriously wrong, when there is a will there is a way, they can find a way, even with heavy restrictions and once a Month. Even before the doors were closed the Churches were already half empty in anticipation for it, they didn't even wait until they were banned before half stopped going.

As for what they are doing, many are still working, because they are considered an essential service, they have found a way to take precautions while still working for the people. My Mother works in the Hospital and will be on the front lines should it outbreak in our town (of which there were already 2 cases in Hospital), if she gets COVID-19 so will I and it will spread through our family. So the faithful will be working in essential services with no sacraments.

The faithful already feel abandoned because they locked the doors without even trying, even very heavy restrictions is better then locking the doors, they themselves have deemed these sacraments a 'non essential service' we must go in secret to receive the Sacraments and only from faithful Priests that we know. If the Mass has value in itself and they don't need to be there, then why would they return when it's all over?

When the Churches are reopened, they most definitely will not see a resurgence. No; they will be celebrating those who worked through the crisis putting themselves on the line especially the Health Workers and other workers who continued in their jobs.

Nobody is telling them to be reckless, but to lock the doors and bar the sacraments entirely is not even trying, if Essential Services can continue with necessary and even heavy restrictions and precautions, so too can the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and the Sacraments. So no; Father here is VERY wrong.

In accordance with Governments, they have deemed themselves a 'non essential service' and will be treated as such in the future even after this crisis.

"For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

God Bless You
Jesus to St Faustina:

"For you I descended from heaven to earth; for you I allowed myself to be nailed to the cross; for you I let my Sacred Heart be pierced with a lance, thus opening wide the source of mercy for you. Come, then, with trust to draw graces from this fountain. I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

"Remember My Passion, and if you do not believe My words, at least believe My wounds." (Diary, 379)

"It is in My Passion that you must seek light and strength." (Diary, 654)
[-] The following 1 user Likes josh987654321's post:
  • Eric F
(03-28-2020, 08:11 PM)josh987654321 Wrote: When Our Lord Celebrated the great Mass of His Crucifixion, they did not go out of fear of the Pharisees (COVID-19), not because they were banned from going.
COVID-19 is not a PHARISEE!!! COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that people are DYING from! I cannot emphasize this enough. Your analogy is both unbiblical and fails to take into account the seriousness of these things. We must fast from the Lord's supper right now. We must fast from the sacraments right now. We must learn that God is with us! and he's never been closer than he is right now. COVID-19 is not a Pharisaical tribune that has banned us from going. COVID-19 is a trial that the Church must face.
(03-28-2020, 08:39 PM)newenglandsun Wrote: COVID-19 is not a PHARISEE!!!

In the example provided, they did not go because they feared the Pharisees, in particular they feared they would be killed by the Pharisees, so the parallels are there with COVID-19 hence why half stopping going to Mass before they even closed the Churches here in Australia. I am not condemning them for that, but the parallels are the same. I am criticizing them for not even trying, when there is a will there is a way, even with heavy restrictions they can find a way, even if it's only 1 family a week.

(03-28-2020, 08:39 PM)newenglandsun Wrote: COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that people are DYING from! I cannot emphasize this enough.

I am no stranger to the seriousness of COVID-19

(03-28-2020, 08:39 PM)newenglandsun Wrote: We must fast from the Lord's supper right now. We must fast from the sacraments right now. We must learn that God is with us! and he's never been closer than he is right now.

I don't currently have to fast for a haircut yet though. Go figure. Like I said, essential services can find a way with necessary and even heavy restrictions, so by locking the Churches they haven't even tried and have instead deemed themselves in accordance with Government a 'non essential service' and will be treated accordingly in the future.

"For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

God Bless You
Jesus to St Faustina:

"For you I descended from heaven to earth; for you I allowed myself to be nailed to the cross; for you I let my Sacred Heart be pierced with a lance, thus opening wide the source of mercy for you. Come, then, with trust to draw graces from this fountain. I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

"Remember My Passion, and if you do not believe My words, at least believe My wounds." (Diary, 379)

[-] The following 2 users Like josh987654321's post:
  • Eric F, Sacred Heart lover
(03-28-2020, 08:11 PM)josh987654321 Wrote: When Our Lord Celebrated the great Mass of His Crucifixion, they did not go out of fear of the Pharisees (COVID-19), not because they were banned from going.

You seem to have missed the entire point of the video. I've seen many people, some here on FE, outright saying or implying that the Mass is not being said. Don Alberto's point is that Masses are being said, that the graces of the Mass, its infinite worth, are still being poured down upon earth, whether the people are there or not. The Mass isn't a communal meal. It is a Sacrifice. All a Sacrifice requires is a Victim (Christ) and a Priest to celebrate the Sacrifice. That's going on, even as I type this, in many Churches, monasteries, rectories, etc., all over the world.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 4 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Fionnchu, karl, MyLady, newenglandsun
(03-30-2020, 10:01 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: You seem to have missed the entire point of the video. I've seen many people, some here on FE, outright saying or implying that the Mass is not being said. Don Alberto's point is that Masses are being said, that the graces of the Mass, its infinite worth, are still being poured down upon earth, whether the people are there or not. The Mass isn't a communal meal. It is a Sacrifice. All a Sacrifice requires is a Victim (Christ) and a Priest to celebrate the Sacrifice. That's going on, even as I type this, in many Churches, monasteries, rectories, etc., all over the world.

I didn't miss the point at all, with no witnesses It sure would be easy for them take shortcuts, thus not licit or not even doing it at all. The fact of the matter is when there is a will there is a way, many didn't even try, and if we don't need to be there why would we go back when it's all over? And why would there be a resurgence when in tough times the doors will be locked and the shepherd flee by order of the Bishops and other Hierarchy?

Like I said, my Mother will be on the front lines in the Hospital should it outbreak where I live, and if she gets it my whole family will likely get it, so we could end up with COVID-19 anyway and be without the Sacraments, in a time when the Sacraments are most needed for peace, strength and courage. They don't need to be reckless, but when the essential services are still going with necessary and even heavy precautions/restrictions, so can they.

They locked the doors all too easy, if this was a secular decree, this would be likened to the persecutions of old, but because it's decreed by those within the Church herself, it's all apparently okay. Like I said, the doors were locked here in Australia yet I could go and get a haircut still... So a haircut is more of a priority then the Sacraments.

God Bless You
Jesus to St Faustina:

(03-30-2020, 11:02 PM)josh987654321 Wrote: I didn't miss the point at all, with no witnesses It sure would be easy for them take shortcuts, thus not licit or not even doing it at all. ...

Like I said, my Mother will be on the front lines in the Hospital should it outbreak where I live, and if she gets it my whole family will likely get it, so we could end up with COVID-19 anyway and be without the Sacraments, in a time when the Sacraments are most needed for peace, strength and courage. They don't need to be reckless, but when the essential services are still going with necessary and even heavy precautions/restrictions, so can they.

They locked the doors all too easy, if this was a secular decree, this would be likened to the persecutions of old, but because it's decreed by those within the Church herself, it's all apparently okay.
The divine liturgies are being livestreamed all over the world. We even know a priest who left his camera filter on. Rest assured, we will know if someone is not conducting the liturgy properly.

You have an obsession with the sacraments that you almost grant them magical properties. What is important is taking precaution to preserve life and curb the spread of the disease. Your priest is still available to call but I would recommend withholding.
[-] The following 1 user Likes newenglandsun's post:
  • Fionnchu
(03-28-2020, 08:53 PM)josh987654321 Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 08:39 PM)newenglandsun Wrote: COVID-19 is not a PHARISEE!!!

In the example provided, they did not go because they feared the Pharisees, in particular they feared they would be killed by the Pharisees, so the parallels are there with COVID-19 hence why half stopping going to Mass before they even closed the Churches here in Australia. I am not condemning them for that, but the parallels are the same. I am criticizing them for not even trying, when there is a will there is a way, even with heavy restrictions they can find a way, even if it's only 1 family a week.

(03-28-2020, 08:39 PM)newenglandsun Wrote: COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that people are DYING from! I cannot emphasize this enough.

I am no stranger to the seriousness of COVID-19

(03-28-2020, 08:39 PM)newenglandsun Wrote: We must fast from the Lord's supper right now. We must fast from the sacraments right now. We must learn that God is with us! and he's never been closer than he is right now.

I don't currently have to fast for a haircut yet though. Go figure. Like I said, essential services can find a way with necessary and even heavy restrictions, so by locking the Churches they haven't even tried and have instead deemed themselves in accordance with Government a 'non essential service' and will be treated accordingly in the future.

God Bless You
There are no parallels. COVID-19 is an incredibly contagious disease that can kill people that members of the congregation interact with on a weekly basis. Or it could even kill someone in the parish. Do you go to church when you are sick with a cold? We could compare it to that. Why don't you go when you have "just a flu"? Why don't you go when you have "just a cold"? Are colds now comparable to the Pharisees? Flus? Neither of these things are even as deadly as COVID-19.

I can't get a haircut right now unless I do it myself. Yes, you need to fast from the sacraments sometimes. You are placing your worship on receiving them. We need to do as St. Augustine did. You need to show a proper veneration toward the sacraments.
[-] The following 1 user Likes newenglandsun's post:
  • Fionnchu
If one knows his/her priest’s contact info...

Remember he can offer any prayer intentions if asked.
Shy Wolf...If it be so...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dilecta's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover
I completely agree with the priest. It seems that many so-called "trads" who are complaining are still stuck with the Vatican 2 mindset that the Mass needs the laity. It does not!

I actually have been enjoying this. I notice how even a NO Mass can be reverent when there are no damn people around doing their stupid ass hand gestures and demanding the most abysmal of sappy music.
[-] The following 4 users Like austenbosten's post:
  • Birdie, jovan66102, karl, Maximian