Vicar of Christ
The preface to the 2020 Pontifical Yearbook is dismissive of the Papal titles, which it now describes as merely historic. 

Consequently the Pope’s personal curriculum vitae acquires a glorified status. 

Archbishop Vigano has suggested that it is nothing less than a claim to a personal dictatorship of the Church by the Pope’s person, unsubordinated to Christ and with no obligation to serve the servants of God.

Do you agree?
I don’t know if it’s good or bad that he drop the title, but I do think Catholics have, over the past 40 years or so, put too much emphasis on the person of the pope. We don’t need Catholic superstars. We already have that in the saints. This move coming from Francis, however, makes me wonder if it is more of a gesture to be noticed by reporters and admired in the press.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Credidi Propter's post:
  • Maximian
Sounds like a further rejection of his role in line with Paul VI's removal of the papal tiara and the shift from coronation to "inauguration" of the pope. Just another development of the destruction of the Chair of Peter as modernists try to remake the Church in their own image as some sort of confederation of Bishops rather than the Papal Monarchy that it has been for two millennia.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

"But thanks be to God through our Lord Jesus Christ, who has transported us out of darkness into his marvelous light when through these lights exteriorly given we are disposed to reenter the mirror of our mind in which divine realities shine forth."
-St. Bonaventure, Itinerarium
[-] The following 3 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • jovan66102, Maximian, Sacred Heart lover
I've got no skin in this but I'm pretty surprised this topic hasn't engendered more discussion.  It seems fairly significant to me in that it is just one more nail in the coffin of what's left (not much! ) of the Latin Tradition.   

Even as an Orthodox it pains me to see the West continue to (for lack of better terms)  piss away its patrimony. I tell you as an outsider that all this tossing out the past makes the RCC's claims to being the true church VERY hard to accept.  If a Church can toss out what was believed for millennia so easily why should one take it seriously in anything?  I only ask rhetorically.  

I find the whole thing sad. Francis makes JPII look almost trad‐‐and that's saying something.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
Quote:I've got no skin in this but I'm pretty surprised this topic hasn't engendered more discussion.

To avoid being demoralized I have turned my face away from Francis and his cohort. It appears most of our Cardinals are either with him or afraid to oppose him. But it isn't true that no one has defended Catholic patrimony. Furthermore, if numbers were proof of the Church's claims, Lucifer would own it, not us--God's people have always been outnumbered. The example of St. Athanasius demonstrated that.

By the way, we're having a fire sale: return to the Roman Catholic fold is now available at very low prices, and for you, we'll make it free.

A most blessed Holy Week, dear formerbuddhist!
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Teresa Agrorum's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux

So...does this mean Francis abdicates his role?
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

"But thanks be to God through our Lord Jesus Christ, who has transported us out of darkness into his marvelous light when through these lights exteriorly given we are disposed to reenter the mirror of our mind in which divine realities shine forth."
I don't think God expects us to answer the question. For now, I am willing to say "thy will be done", because I want to be faithful, but where to turn?
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
It's not just 'Vicar of Christ'! He's dropped ALL Papal Titles. He was 'inaugurated' as Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the State of Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God. 

On the left is the 'Papal Page' from the 2019 Pontifical Yearbook, listing all those titles. On the right is the new 2020 edition, listing only his name.

[Image: 2020_Pontifical_Yearbook_1000_630_75_s_c1.jpg]

It's his fake humility masking his overweening, sinful pride. Now it's not about the '
Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the State of Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God', titles he shared with previous Popes before him. It's all about Jorge Bergoglio. The rest are just a 'historical footnote'.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(04-07-2020, 06:46 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: On the left is the 'Papal Page' from the 2019 Pontifical Yearbook, listing all those titles. On the right is the new 2020 edition, listing only his name.

[Image: 2020_Pontifical_Yearbook_1000_630_75_s_c1.jpg]

Wait, aren't those the titles on the bottom of the 2020 image there?

Yes, relegated, as I said, to a 'historical footnote'. No longer of importance because they detract from the glory of Jorge Bergoglio.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Augustinian