Depression...
I'm in a slump and can't get through it...I doubt I will. I miss the Crazy Church Lady. I miss the subdeaconess I used to have an aversion to. I miss my priest. I miss the deacon and his adopted daughters especially the oldest who will run up to me and give me hugs. Nothing is working...
I can relate. Last night I was telling my girlfriend, it feels like we're in the Twilight Zone with all our churches closed. This is going to be my first Good Friday since 1994 that I won't be able to do my church pilgrimmages. Every year I'd worry a little that something might come up to prevent me from visiting churches, but I never ever thought it would be this. The livestreams just don't do it for me. I'll pray for you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eric F's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
Quote:The livestreams just don't do it for me.

I understand and yet I recommend watching them any way. We're in pain, our priests are in pain, but wait a little while and I think those suffering worst will be Catholics who lived the Faith on auto-pilot.

They're the ones God wants most to wake up--what will happen when they do, and there are no Sacraments to be had?

(Patience: I kick a little myself every morning watching Mass but find myself praying any way. I need to pray.)
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.
(04-07-2020, 10:50 PM)Teresa Agrorum Wrote:
Quote:The livestreams just don't do it for me.
We're in pain, our priests are in pain, but wait a little while and I think those suffering worst will be Catholics who lived the Faith on auto-pilot.
Either Tim + Dave Gordon or Taylor Marshall in a recent video mused that they predicted that the "cheesers" who attend Easter + Christmas, or a few times a year "just because" but without much fervor will likely fall away from this due to the hiatus. That may mean that we'd enter that long-foreseen "shrinkage" to the "remnant" maybe sooner than expected. Also, I wonder how the revenue drop will hit so many institutions, Orders, and dioceses who depend on the "basket."

On the other hand, as one of them surmised, the live streaming may invite those hesitant about the TLM to "try it out virtually at a safe distance" and that exposure to it as an option could boost the ranks of those seeking sustenance. I agree as a revert that the TLM can loom as formidable to a visitor and one's first encounters can heighten anxiety rather than lessen it, so seeing the Mass and following it from one's own home may be an easier way to become acclimated.

As New England Sun's condition shows, I hope his spirits rise. I reckon many trads out there may be prone to the "noonday devil" and the blues. Perhaps this necessitated turn within to one's own resources domestically may enrich contemplation rather than hasten depression? But I know this is tough, believe me.
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)
I've been reading through the book of Job lately, and it does help in this trying time. Being afflicted without even knowing why, but remaining faithful to God's will that it's for our benefit.

Pray, hope and don't worry; as St. Pio said.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

"modern Catholics have tended to put too much faith in the pope and too little in the Church." - Bishop Williamson.
I don't have a church around here anyway so to me the livestreams have been lifesavers and allowed me to participate from afar in ways that I can't otherwise.  I get it though, for all you guys used to having a local parish to worship in it must be really difficult.  

Hopefully things go back to normal within a reasonable time for all you who have churches nearby.  Until then imagine that you're stuck in enemy territory with nothing but a breviary and your faith and do the best you can.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
I’m sorry you’re depressed. :( Do you have pets? I find that animals often help me take my mind off things when nothing else can.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Birdie's post:
  • formerbuddhist
(04-07-2020, 07:58 PM)newenglandsun Wrote: I'm in a slump and can't get through it...I doubt I will. I miss the Crazy Church Lady. I miss the subdeaconess I used to have an aversion to. I miss my priest. I miss the deacon and his adopted daughters especially the oldest who will run up to me and give me hugs. Nothing is working...

I suffer from (mostly) anxiety and mild depression. And I miss Sundays terribly as much as you - the Mass, the friendly folks (though few in no.) I would bump into, the metro train rides to commute, grabbing a snack afterwards, buying a beautiful flower for my love, the much needed weekend siesta, etc. But unfortunately I can’t step out due to the lockdown imposed here...

Even the introvert in me (I am an INFJ, to be precise) craves for the freedom to step outdoors one day and l so long for life to return back to normal. But yes, this ordeal has made me value the things of life that I normally used to take for granted ! Perhaps I may greet everyone ecstatically from now on unlike in my usual moody manner...

Praying for you... I suggest you keep an image of St. Dymphna at hand and remember to just simply gaze at the icon if ever you feel blue - it has worked for a friend of mine who suffers from BPD, I suppose it could work for you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: y4mYRN-ummmkmVnvHhXskhcmGwkdRP6s0fIGNOHH...pmode=none]
[-] The following 1 user Likes AndreasIosephus's post:
  • HailGilbert
Ave x's 3.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton