Heb9:23
Why does Heb9:23 indicate the heavenly things need purifying? Is it dedicatory purification? I've heard the take that it's saying the people of the Church, which seems like a big stretch.
I don't think that it indicates that heavenly thing need purifying.

Quote:It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.

It is the "patterns of things in the heavens" which need to be purified (tabernacles).
:monstrance:Deo Gratias et Ave Maria! :monstrance:
Pray the Rosary

A Dieu mon ame,
Mon arme au roi,
Mon Coeur a la dame,
Mon honneur a moi!
(04-19-2020, 09:16 PM)The ServusDei Wrote: I don't think that it indicates that heavenly thing need purifying.

Quote:It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.

It is the "patterns of things in the heavens" which need to be purified (tabernacles).
No, in context, if you read chapter 9, the argument is that just as the patterns need purifying, so does the reality.
Fr. Haydock's commentary:

Ver. 23. It is, or was necessary that the patterns of heavenly things (i.e. the former tabernacle and sanctuary) should be cleansed with these; that is, by the blood of such victims then offered. — But the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices. By the heavenly things, may be understood the faithful, who are the members of Christ's Church, to whom heaven is prepared, and who must be cleansed by better sacrifices; that is, by the blood of Christ, and by his sacrifice on the cross.
Te ergo quæsumus, tuis famulis subveni, quos pretioso sanguine redemisti. Æterna fac cum sanctis tuis in gloria numerari.
[-] The following 2 users Like Te Deum's post:
  • Hildegarde, ServusDei