SSPX Sex Scandals And Cover Ups
The response of a layman on an SSPX Facebook group I belong to (emphasis mine):

Several members have posted a link to Church Militant’s latest attack upon the SSPX which I believe necessitates a response.

A disclaimer:  I am a layman and do not speak for the SSPX.  I am not nor have I ever been employed by the SSPX.  I am a volunteer administrator of this Facebook group. 

I am, however, familiar with several people mentioned in the article:  I know Fathers Wegner, Vernoy and Duverget.  I am personal friends with Kurt Chione and I am Facebook friends with Jassy Jacas.  I have entrusted three of my eleven sons to the priests of the SSPX and after 20 years of experience with the SSPX I have never had reason to be concerned about their conduct, whether individually or as a fraternity of priests.

That having been said, anyone can see in the Church Militant article there is not a single new first-hand account of abuse, nor is there a single new corroborated allegation of abuse.  There are no law enforcement sources claiming a criminal investigation is underway.

It is easy in April of 2020 to make allegations against Catholic priests, especially the few priests remaining in the United States who are providing sacraments to the laity.  However, we should be concerned with truth and justice and not mere allegations.

To the point:  Kurt Chione, who is a member of this group, cooperated with Church Militant and is quoted in the article.  I regret that he has done this because he should have known that his comments would be used in a dishonest and deceptive manner by Church Militant in their long-running war against the SSPX.

Although I do not doubt that Kurt has the best of intentions, he has not reported any first-hand accounts of abuse.

Additionally, Miss Jacas has alleged only unseemly conversation between an adult female (herself), and a priest of the SSPX.  I personally corresponded with Miss Jacas and asked her why she was making these accusations public rather than pursuing a criminal or civil case against the priest(s) in question.  She could not explain.

This is problematic for several reasons; if Miss Jacas were interested in justice, she would want criminal action taken to both punish the guilty and to protect other innocent people.  If she were currently engaged in a criminal investigation, she would not be talking publicly about it.

If a criminal investigation was not warranted by the facts, she would pursue civil litigation against the defendants to punish them for their actions.  By her own admission, she is not involved in civil litigation.  This suggests there is not sufficient evidence even to warrant a civil lawsuit.

Thus we are left with unsubstantiated allegations (at best gossip, and at worst, calumny), by several lay Catholics with no supporting evidence.

If it bears a striking resemblance to the Left’s campaign against Catholic Justice Kavanaugh, that’s with good reason; he, too, was smeared publicly without any corroborating evidence.  We Catholics must adhere to a higher standard of discourse, both privately and publicly.  In fact, the higher the dignity of the accused, the greater our obligation to charity and prudence.

I do not doubt that the SSPX, as the Church, has had problems with homosexual infiltrators.  I do not doubt that among the priests of the fraternity there are men who suffer temptations to impurity with adult women.  This, of course, is not the issue; what the SSPX has done over the last four decades is precisely what we Catholics should hope they would do when there is credible evidence of abuse or inappropriate conduct; they have removed the priest in question from active ministry.

I am open to any person in good faith who wants to discuss these matters with me privately.  If you have been wtiness to abuse or are a victim of abuse, contact the police.  If you are unsure of what to do, you may contact me and I will give my best advice.  If you think there is some coverup taking place, feel free to contact me. 

(Here he inserted his personal contact info) I will not permit this group to be used for gossip and calumny, which means the recent article by Church Militant does not qualify for inclusion in this group. 

Posts which violate this rule will be deleted and repeat offenders will be banned.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 7 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • , Fionnchu, HailGilbert, Ioannes_L, MagisterMusicae, Quickbeam, SeekerofChrist

Messages In This Thread
RE: SSPX Sex Scandals And Cover Ups - by Adventus - 04-22-2020, 04:00 PM
RE: SSPX Sex Scandals And Cover Ups - by Adventus - 04-23-2020, 12:31 PM
RE: SSPX Sex Scandals And Cover Ups - by jovan66102 - 04-22-2020, 04:14 PM
RE: SSPX Sex Scandals And Cover Ups - by Adventus - 04-23-2020, 12:38 PM
RE: SSPX Sex Scandals And Cover Ups - by Adventus - 04-23-2020, 02:28 PM
RE: SSPX Sex Scandals And Cover Ups - by Adventus - 04-23-2020, 03:22 PM
RE: SSPX Sex Scandals And Cover Ups - by JacksonE - 04-23-2020, 08:12 PM
RE: SSPX Sex Scandals And Cover Ups - by Adventus - 04-24-2020, 10:41 AM
RE: SSPX Sex Scandals And Cover Ups - by JacksonE - 04-24-2020, 01:20 PM
RE: SSPX Sex Scandals And Cover Ups - by Adventus - 04-24-2020, 03:13 PM
RE: SSPX Sex Scandals And Cover Ups - by Maximian - 04-27-2020, 07:09 AM