Now, Those Monster Asian Hornets
Well, we've got this virus thing to deal with and all, and a short time back it was the Africanized Killer Bees, now here come, again from out of Washington state: Giant Asian Hornets!

Oh boy!

Article Wrote:Now, Those Monster Asian Hornets
May 2, 2020 by sd

[Image: Tracking-the-%E2%80%98Murder-Hornet%E2%8...50x375.jpg]

From DNUZ:
With queens that can grow to two inches long, Asian giant hornets can use mandibles shaped like spiked shark fins to wipe out a honeybee hive in a matter of hours, decapitating the bees and flying away with the thoraxes to feed their young. For larger targets, the hornet’s potent venom and stinger — long enough to puncture a beekeeping suit — make for an excruciating combination that victims have likened to hot metal driving into their skin.

In Japan, the hornets kill up to 50 people a year. Now, for the first time, they have arrived in the United States. Mr. McFall still is not certain that Asian giant hornets were responsible for the plunder of his hive. But two of the predatory insects were discovered last fall in the northwest corner of Washington State, a few miles north of his property — the first sightings in the United States.

[ For Full Story ]
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain
[-] The following 3 users Like Zedta's post:
  • ActusFidei313, Augustinian, Teresa Agrorum
[Image: michael-scott-no-gif-7.gif]
I would rather suffer C19.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

"But thanks be to God through our Lord Jesus Christ, who has transported us out of darkness into his marvelous light when through these lights exteriorly given we are disposed to reenter the mirror of our mind in which divine realities shine forth."
-St. Bonaventure, Itinerarium
[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • Hildegarde, Teresa Agrorum
This article shows how cleverly Japanese bees deal with this monster hornet:

Article Wrote:Link to Original Article

The Way Japanese Bees Deal With "Murder Hornets" Is Both Brutal and Fascinating
Brandon Morse

[Image: b1cac4ae-f65e-4a35-a6ce-d0b609cc0521.png]
In this April 23, 2020, photo provided by the Washington State Department of Agriculture, a researcher holds a dead Asian giant hornet in Blaine, Wash. The world’s largest hornet, a 2-inch long killer with an appetite for honey bees, has been found in Washington state and entomologists are making plans to wipe it out. Dubbed the “Murder Hornet” by some, the Asian giant hornet has a sting that could be fatal to some humans. It is just now starting to emerge from hibernation. (Karla Salp/Washington State Department of Agriculture via AP)

And now for something completely different.

The “murder hornet,” or more accurately the “giant Asian hornet,” is now all over your internet feeds and for good reason. They’re freakin’ huge, can pierce through protective layers of clothing, slaughter hives of honey bees in the range of 14 seconds, and are apparently deadly enough to be fatal to humans. They’ve also been spotted here in the United States.

They aren’t native to America and are an invasive species that, as the name implies, hails from Asia. Specifically, they come from Japan and kill around 40 to 50 people every year according to USA Today.

These hornets seem to have it out for bees, and the bees in Japan have had to live with them as predators since time immemorial. As such, Japanese bees have developed something of a defense against the hornets and I can’t call it anything less than brutal.

The short description is that they cook the hornet alive.

The more explanatory version comes from the Science Times:
Quote:When grouped, experts have learned that the bees form a ball and trap the hornet inside it.

The bees then start to vibrate and produce heat, somewhat ‘cooking’ the hornet. Japanese bees are said to endure high temperatures, and after an hour, can kill the hornet using their ‘thermal bee ball’ technique.

European honeybees, which are also found in the US, have been observed to attempt to sting the hornet. However, due to the tough exoskeleton of the insect, the bees’ efforts were ineffective. According to a researcher, the Japanese honeybee learned to tailor its tactic through generations.

Somehow the Japanese bees learned that their main predator has a heat tolerance of about 115ºF. The bees themselves can withstand temperatures up to 118ºF.

What does it look like? Watch the video below and see.

Link to Video here

Just for fun, I added a little bit of flair to the video for my fellow Dark Souls fans.

Sadly, this strategy isn’t a sustainable defense against the hornets. It takes a very long time for the bees to cook their enemies and it only really works on one or two at a time. When the hornets attack, they do so in much larger numbers and as I previously mentioned, can wipe a colony of bees out in seconds.

Regardless, it’s fascinating that the bees have figured this complex way of killing their enemies.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

Jessie Ventura

Mark Twain

Mark Twain
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zedta's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
I won't post the entire article here, just the link, because it has some videos associated with the article and pictures as well, all of which very adequately illustrate just how awful an invasion, this hornet could become.

Article Wrote:Link to Article here

Absolute searing pain!' Wildlife show presenter screams in agony as he shows what it's like to be stung by huge 'murder hornets' invading the US
  • Presenter Nathaniel 'Coyote' Peterson, 38, writhed in agony after being stung
  • His hand seized up and his arm experience huge swellings due to the insect
  • They have recently invaded the US and been seen in areas of Washington state
Art Bell

J Edgar Hoover

Jessie Ventura

Mark Twain

Mark Twain