Pants wetting advice
Hoping to pick the brains of more experienced parents here. My boy is four, and has been potty trained for well over a year now. Until recently he RARELY had accidents of any kind. Suddenly he is constantly wetting his pants. It's not a full-on accident, he just puts a fist-sized wet patch on the front of his underwear.

We took him to the doctor and ruled out a UTI. He was mildly constipated and dehydrated, which could have been a cause, but we have since remedied both, and he is still wetting his pants. It seems to help if I set a timer and make him go every 2 hours or so, but he still wakes up wet and has some accidents during the day.

Not much has changed in our lives recently. Diet has stayed mostly the same. We didn't get out much before the quarantine, so our lives haven't changed much there either, aside from my husband's and my parents babysitting the kids far less often. He did have a nasty viral illness around the time he started having problems, but has recovered well. He does seem to have made some cognitive leaps and bounds lately.

Any ideas on how to approach this? He and I have had many talks about how he should stop what he's doing and run to the potty right away if he feels to urge to go. He even apologizes for wetting his pants and says he'll try not to. I'm not sure if/how to discipline him on this, and honestly I can't tell for sure if its deliberate or not. He's my oldest, so this is new territory for me.
Exclamation 
There is such a thing as secondary enuresis:

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/...Teens.aspx

Our 12-year-old granddaughter with PTSD, ADHD, and mild fetal alcohol syndrome has bedwetting troubles. For her stress was the biggest trigger, and now that she is spending more time in a stable environment, she's off a 'knock out' sleeping drug, recovering, and getting up at night to go. Shouldn't be long before it's behind her.

Are you and your husband discussing what is happening in the world where the children can overhear? That could be enough.

Your child had a viral illness; was he treated medically for this? Has his behavior, not his cognitive ability, changed in any other way? I'd take notes then call the doctor and begin to pin it down. I don't think you're dealing with a disciplinary matter. May God bless your efforts. +JMJ+
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.
Thank you for your advice, Teresa. We've been discussing late world events, but never where the children can hear. I have had to explain to him why we're not visiting grandparents or going to mass for the time being though, and he's been sad about that.

Since my original post, we have managed to almost completely eliminate the daytime wetting. As long as we put a watch with a timer on him or otherwise frequently remind him to go, he has few problems. Seems like he was waiting until it was too late because he didn't want to stop playing. However, the nighttime wetting is getting  worse.

He did have a sudden increase in nightmares and crying in his sleep when the wetting problems began. I often hear him crying out, and when I go to him he's still carrying on, hard to rouse, and usually wet. Other times I hear nothing, and I find he's wet when he comes to me in the morning. Most of the time he says he doesn't remember peeing, but once he did tell me he was just too tired to get up, lol. When asked about his nightmares, he talks about scary monsters hurting him or losing his grandma. So I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of stress was involved.

I talked to my husband about his family history, and apparently this problem is very common on his side, as is ADHD and autism. So perhaps it's genetics too. 

He was medically evaluated for his illness, but being viral, there wasn't much they could do other than recommend water, rest, and OTC treatments. He had a HORRIBLE cough, enough to make him vomit, and I initially thought he was wetting his pants under the strain. It doesn't seem to be constipation like they thought when I first took him in for incontinence, so if this continues much longer, I might take him back to see if they have any more suggestions :(
I was hoping when you didn't write back that all was well again. ;-(

Poor little fellow--the world is so very big and he is feeling small. I'll pray for him.
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.
It will pass, Catherine. Sorry the little guy is going through this. Does he still seem bothered by it? I had one (a girl) who had similar issues.

I guess if this had to happen, it's good that its happening in lockdown. Just help him change his clothing as soon as it occurs. Don't give him a chance to slack off with regard to good hygiene or he may get used to it.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(05-19-2020, 10:17 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: It will pass, Catherine. Sorry the little guy is going through this. Does he still seem bothered by it? I had one (a girl) who had similar issues.

I guess if this had to happen, it's good that its happening in lockdown. Just help him change his clothing as soon as it occurs. Don't give him a chance to slack off with regard to good hygiene or he may get used to it.

Yes he seems embarrassed at least. I can usually tell when he has an accident because he doesn't want me to check him. The past couple mornings as we've changed him out of his wet clothes upon waking, he emphatically said, "I'm having a bad day!!!" I do change him as soon as I notice, and check him frequently.
(05-21-2020, 01:17 AM)Catherine Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 10:17 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: It will pass, Catherine. Sorry the little guy is going through this. Does he still seem bothered by it? I had one (a girl) who had similar issues.

Yes he seems embarrassed at least. I can usually tell when he has an accident because he doesn't want me to check him. The past couple mornings as we've changed him out of his wet clothes upon waking, he emphatically said, "I'm having a bad day!!!" I do change him as soon as I notice, and check him frequently.

It's tough, I remember! Won't last forever though.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton