Why "Mohammedanism" not Islam?
(05-21-2020, 10:52 PM)Paul Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 06:55 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: Because evidently among some traditionalists it’s ok to be rude. That was acceptable in a bygone era, as was referring to a person with Down Syndrome a mongoloid.

Ah, yes, the good ol' euphemism treadmill, where terms like "moron" and "idiot" were medical ones, referring to certain levels of IQ, but then those became offensive, so we had to say "mentally retarded", and now we can't say that anymore, but have to say they're "intellectually disabled". How long before that becomes offensive? Some people don't think we should get so offended by words, especially when the words refer to the same thing, and even more so when the old term isn't being used as an insult.
Several years ago I found out from a younger colleague that the word "Oriental" is no longer in vogue.  Up to that point, I had no idea.

When she told me that, I asked her what term should be used.  She stated, "Asian."

When I pointed out to her that the term "Asian" would include one of our colleagues who is Iranian, as well as Israelis, Lebanese, various Russians, the people of India, et cetera, she said, no, it wouldn't.  

"Asian," in her view, means only the people who inhabit the eastern/southeastern part of Asia, in other words, what we used to call "Orientals" (the word "orient" of course meaning "east").

The tens of millions of other people who inhabit Asia are not "Asians."  

I was shocked that an adult could have such an opinion.

(Then again, I was also shocked when, after asking one of our paralegals why he wrote the way he did, he told me he had never learned to write in cursive.  He was in his early 20s and was unable to write in cursive.  I was utterly astounded.)
(05-22-2020, 03:09 AM)DJRESQ Wrote: Several years ago I found out from a younger colleague that the word "Oriental" is no longer in vogue.  Up to that point, I had no idea.

When she told me that, I asked her what term should be used.  She stated, "Asian."

When I pointed out to her that the term "Asian" would include one of our colleagues who is Iranian, as well as Israelis, Lebanese, various Russians, the people of India, et cetera, she said, no, it wouldn't.  

"Asian," in her view, means only the people who inhabit the eastern/southeastern part of Asia, in other words, what we used to call "Orientals" (the word "orient" of course meaning "east").

Amusing, because in Britain, 'Asian' is the euphemism for Muslims from the Middle East and the Indian Subcontinent to avoid mentioning their religion when it's a matter of the grooming/rape gangs that have been prevalent in predominantly 'Asian' communities over the past few years.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(05-22-2020, 03:19 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 03:09 AM)DJRESQ Wrote: Several years ago I found out from a younger colleague that the word "Oriental" is no longer in vogue.  Up to that point, I had no idea.

Amusing, because in Britain, 'Asian' is the euphemism for Muslims from the Middle East and the Indian Subcontinent to avoid mentioning their religion when it's a matter of the grooming/rape gangs that have been prevalent in predominantly 'Asian' communities over the past few years.
I wish the powers-that-be would quit changing the rules.  I can't keep up with it.  Remember when we used to say "Peking"?

I also remember my reaction the first time I ever heard the words "Burkina Faso."  What???
(05-22-2020, 03:24 AM)DJRESQ Wrote: I also remember my reaction the first time I ever heard the words "Burkina Faso."  What???

When I was in grade 7 or 8, I won a State geography competition. Now, 60 years later, I'm totally confused. I just watched a video on tea drinking round the world. One segment was a lady from India. She said she lived in Mumbai. I did a double take and went 'Oh! She lives in Bombay!'
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

DJRESQ Wrote:Remember when we used to say "Peking"?

One of my favorite jokes in high school gym class was while changing was to say "Pretend China got nuked. That means no Peking!" (peeking)
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
(05-22-2020, 03:24 AM)DJRESQ Wrote: I wish the powers-that-be would quit changing the rules.  I can't keep up with it.

That's one of those feature-not-bug things. The whole leftist playbook is based on keeping society divided (since that's what Marxism is, even if it's expanded beyond simply class), and changing what's acceptable is a good way to do it. Suddenly declare an old term offensive, and now they've got power over you, especially when they've got the majority of society (and an even bigger majority of young people) seeing racism/sexism/homophobia/Islamophobia/transphobia/etc. as the most offensive things ever.

I've also still never figured out why Oriental is offensive.
(05-22-2020, 03:24 AM)DJRESQ Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 03:19 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 03:09 AM)DJRE Wrote: When I pointed out to her that the term "Asian" would include one of our colleagues who is Iranian, as well as Israelis, Lebanese, various Russians, the people of India, et cetera, she said, no, it wouldn't. 
There's a movement afoot--I am not sure if it made the 2020 Census (note its banner ads and target demographics as to whom they appeal to be counted in and whom they ignore in imagery), to add MENA=Middle East + North African to the mix (and perhaps elsewhere WANA or MENAP) as these peoples do not fit that catch-all term "Caucasian." Which I wonder why is still used when "Negroid + Mongoloid" have been relegated to the discredited age of science conducted by calipers and phrenology. On a related issue, Middle East itself is seen as Euro-centric, vs. "SW Asia" in academia.
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)