Primacy of conscience and following the Pope
(06-04-2020, 12:09 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: I’m not being sarcastic here; I’m genuinely confused. It seems like we’re saying some popes write good stuff and others write stuff that we can toss out the window. What’s the deciding factor? And are Catholics who do follow the “primacy of conscience” as laid out in Amoris condemned? They are just following what the pope says after all.

The deciding factor isn't "what the Pope says", it's "what the Church says". The Church never taught that artificial contraception was moral. The Church has taught that those in mortal sin cannot receive Communion. If the job of the Pope is to teach, what sort of teacher refuses to explain how "X" and "not X" can both be true?

But, as I've said here multiple times before, Amoris lætitia isn't that hard to figure out. Objectively, adultery is a mortal sin. Subjectively, one who is threatened may not be guilty of a mortal sin and could therefore receive Communion. Figuring that out is for the person and his or her priest to determine privately. Nothing heretical there, so nothing to reject.
[-] The following 2 users Like Paul's post:
  • AnBotharGoEmmaus, humilityandpatience

Messages In This Thread
RE: Primacy of conscience and following the Pope - by Paul - 06-04-2020, 04:13 PM