Primacy of conscience and following the Pope
(06-04-2020, 05:51 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: It would be rare that a couple would be invincibly ignorant of their living in an adulterous union. It's one thing if they received a declaration of nullity on false grounds and that's only discovered later, and so in the meantime their new marriage was only an apparent marriage and objectively they were committing adultery. In fact, in such a situation, it might be more prudent that the couple not be informed of this because of the damage to the family and children, and the couple be allowed to think they are married (so tolerate the material sin of adultery) so that the family is not destroyed over this. That is absolutely a matter for a priest to help a couple to determine.

It's quite another if they have just divorced and remarried outside of the Church (because the Church would not let them enter an adulterous union), and now they want to live publicly as if they are just a Catholic married couple. Rare if even possible is the case of invincible ignorance there, and so rare if not impossible that the adultery is not also subjectively imputable. If you need to leave the Church to marry, because the Church says that this is adultery, then I don't see how there is any situation where one could claim ignorance.

I don't disagree at all that this would be rare, possibly even non-existent, but if theoretically possible, it's not heresy. Saying 'those who are subjectively not guilty of mortal sin can receive Communion' is fine; the fact that the number of such people might be zero doesn't change that.

What about the situation where one spouse insists on sex despite the other believing it's adultery, and gets violent if refused, or threatens to take the children away, or kick the Catholic spouse out of the house and she doesn't have anywhere else to go? Seems like most Catholics think that lessens culpability, but I wouldn't think those things justify mortal sin. If it did, then the early martyrs should have just offered the incense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • humilityandpatience

Messages In This Thread
RE: Primacy of conscience and following the Pope - by Paul - 06-04-2020, 09:38 PM