Primacy of conscience and following the Pope
(06-05-2020, 04:13 PM)Zedta Wrote: I have been taught in Catholic Schools (perVatII) that we must ultimately follow our conscience. In these times, when up is down and sideways is preferred, when we are subjected to a Mason 'pope Frank', I follow mine and here is a good reference from the Catechism (1994) I have at hand as to why I do:

1776 (interesting number, no?) Wrote:Article 6
MORAL CONSCIENCE

"Deep within his conscience man discovers a law which he has not laid upon himself but which he must obey. Its voice, ever calling him to love and to do what is good and to avoid evil, sounds in his heart at the right moment...For man has in his heart a law inscribed by God...His consciece is man's most sacred core and his sanctuary. There he is alone with God whose voice echoes in his depths." 47

47: GS; Gaudium et spes (542)

My understanding is that our conscience must be properly formed, i.e. according to the teachings of the Catholic Faith.  The problem in the present-day is that after decades of lukewarm, watered down teaching, many Catholics no longer have a properly formed conscience.  Can you imagine if someone like Fr. James Martin had overseen your catechesis?
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12
[-] The following 4 users Like SeekerofChrist's post:
  • jovan66102, MagisterMusicae, traditiovivens, Zedta

Messages In This Thread
RE: Primacy of conscience and following the Pope - by SeekerofChrist - 06-05-2020, 04:22 PM