Primacy of conscience and following the Pope
(06-05-2020, 04:22 PM)SeekerofChrist Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 04:13 PM)Zedta Wrote: I have been taught in Catholic Schools (perVatII) that we must ultimately follow our conscience. In these times, when up is down and sideways is preferred, when we are subjected to a Mason 'pope Frank', I follow mine and here is a good reference from the Catechism (1994) I have at hand as to why I do:

1776 (interesting number, no?) Wrote:Article 6
MORAL CONSCIENCE

"Deep within his conscience man discovers a law which he has not laid upon himself but which he must obey. Its voice, ever calling him to love and to do what is good and to avoid evil, sounds in his heart at the right moment...For man has in his heart a law inscribed by God...His consciece is man's most sacred core and his sanctuary. There he is alone with God whose voice echoes in his depths." 47

47: GS; Gaudium et spes (542)

My understanding is that our conscience must be properly formed, i.e. according to the teachings of the Catholic Faith.  The problem in the present-day is that after decades of lukewarm, watered down teaching, many Catholics no longer have a properly formed conscience.  Can you imagine if someone like Fr. James Martin had overseen your catechesis?
Yes, thankfully, he did not. 

I had the Sisters of Charity and Providence to lead me into my faith, and later, in High School, less traditional, sadly, Sisters of The Blessed Virgin Mary, during the trans-formative post VatII debauchery which too many of whom, gleefully embraced.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

All War is Deception
Gen. Sun

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.
George Carlin

“In a time of deceit…truth is a revolutionary act”
George Orwell

Messages In This Thread
RE: Primacy of conscience and following the Pope - by Zedta - 06-05-2020, 04:44 PM