Primacy of conscience and following the Pope
(06-04-2020, 09:38 PM)Paul Wrote: I don't disagree at all that this would be rare, possibly even non-existent, but if theoretically possible, it's not heresy. Saying 'those who are subjectively not guilty of mortal sin can receive Communion' is fine; the fact that the number of such people might be zero doesn't change that.

The heresy comes in when we add in the notion that God requires the impossible in the natural moral law, and that somehow subjective situations allow the violation of the natural law.

I still don't see how someone could truly be invincibly ignorant that something is wrong with remarriage an divorce at least in the eyes of the Church when the Church refuses to bless or recognize such a marriage. I have good priest friends in Mexico where there are a lot of marriages outside of the Church, so much so that it's one of the first topics learned in learning pastoral Spanish: "¿Estas casado en la iglesia?" It is common that Catholics, knowing that they can only marry once, will have a child baptized several times in different parishes to create several baptismal records so as to show freedom to marry after divorce.

Without wanting to debate the merits of the theoretical possibility, I do think it is a practical impossibility ... at least until Amoris Lætitia, which for some will seem to be the Church teaching that this is okay.

We also have to factor in scandal, however. Even if a public sinner is somehow in the State of Grace (e.g. a man who is a known abortion doctor has repented by means of confession) we don't allow him to publicly receive the sacraments until the public sin is fixed. Until he publicly renounces his evil ways, to admit to Communion in a public manner would be a source of scandal, and so even one in the State of Grace, but still appearing to be a public sinner, would have to be barred from Communion in public, but could privately receive the Sacraments.

The same could happen with a couple that is living chastely as brother and sister for the sake of the children in an adulterous relationship. In private they could be absolved, and make their Communion, but not publicly. Publicly they appear to be married and acting as married people. Privately, however, if the priest is aware that they are not able to separate, but are also living chastely, then there is no issue.

That's nothing new, but the problem is (aside from all of the mess of AL), that what could be privately done, and was a guarded secret to discourage such relationships, now is put out as if it is a public solution, and something novel, and in doing this, the whole basis for the moral law is made subjective to man's needs, and not based on his nature and the Divine Law.

(06-04-2020, 09:38 PM)Paul Wrote: What about the situation where one spouse insists on sex despite the other believing it's adultery, and gets violent if refused, or threatens to take the children away, or kick the Catholic spouse out of the house and she doesn't have anywhere else to go? Seems like most Catholics think that lessens culpability, but I wouldn't think those things justify mortal sin. If it did, then the early martyrs should have just offered the incense.

I'm not sure I understand your scenario and how one could think it is adultery and the other not. Perhaps you could explain. Is this an adulterous union after civil divorce? What is the basis for the one thinking this is adultery?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Primacy of conscience and following the Pope - by MagisterMusicae - 06-07-2020, 03:22 PM