Religious orders/congregations: best, most compromised, and most promising
(Obligatory disclaimer: obviously, this will all be subjective and is simply for fun)

In your opinion, which religious order/congregation is:

1) the best (greatest, saintliest, most influential, etc.)

2) the most compromised, either by falling from its original glory or, perhaps, by being founded on inauspicious grounds;

and

3) the most promising (i.e. a young or steadfastly traditional congregation that seems poised to or is currently bringing forth renewal in the Church).

Looking forward to reading what you all think.
Omnia et in omnibus Christus
(06-13-2020, 01:54 AM)whitewashed_tomb Wrote: (Obligatory disclaimer: obviously, this will all be subjective and is simply for fun)

2) the most compromised, either by falling from its original glory or, perhaps, by being founded on inauspicious grounds;

and

3) the most promising (i.e. a young or steadfastly traditional congregation that seems poised to or is currently bringing forth renewal in the Church).

1. This might not be the answer you’re looking for, but the best are probably informal communities of traditional Catholics. They live together, pray together, and cultivate a communal life of prayer and humble service to the Church.
2. The most compromised would probably have to be the Legionaries of Christ. They were founded by an evil man whose life and spirituality were lies. Why do they even still exist at all?
3. The most promising seem to be the Benedictines. I have known monks in even less-traditional monasteries who are quite traditional themselves.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Credidi Propter's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
(06-13-2020, 02:22 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote:
(06-13-2020, 01:54 AM)whitewashed_tomb Wrote: (Obligatory disclaimer: obviously, this will all be subjective and is simply for fun)

and

1. This might not be the answer you’re looking for, but the best are probably informal communities of traditional Catholics. They live together, pray together, and cultivate a communal life of prayer and humble service to the Church.
2. The most compromised would probably have to be the Legionaries of Christ. They were founded by an evil man whose life and spirituality were lies. Why do they even still exist at all?
3. The most promising seem to be the Benedictines. I have known monks in even less-traditional monasteries who are quite traditional themselves.
Thanks for your answers. Yes, I have heard of the troubling issues surrounding the LC and its founder. I agree with your dismay at their continued existence.

As for your answer to number 1, could you provide a specific example of this kind of traditional informal community?
Omnia et in omnibus Christus
[-] The following 1 user Likes whitewashed_tomb's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
(06-13-2020, 02:27 AM)whitewashed_tomb Wrote:
(06-13-2020, 02:22 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote:

and

Thanks for your answers. Yes, I have heard of the troubling issues surrounding the LC and its founder. I agree with your dismay at their continued existence.

As for your answer to number 1, could you provide a specific example of this kind of traditional informal community?

I can’t really provide much of an example, because people like this often strive to live a hidden life. Most people probably just think they are a biological family whenever they see them.
1) Difficult to answer because they all had their place in history for renewal of devotion or in answer to heresy. But for the sake of giving an answer I would go with the tried and true Benedictines. 

2) The axiom “the corruption of the best is the worst” applies well to the Jesuits. 

3) When the dust settles I think the Church will judge the role of the SSPX through this crisis favorably.