Is coronavirus God's punishment for all the sins?
Is coronavirus God's punishment for all the sins committed by mankind?  All kinds of sins abound in the world today, outside and inside the Church.  Is this God's warning to us all that although He's slow to anger, He is displeased with how things are going?  And more importantly, if mankind does not shape up, worse things are yet to come?
There seems to be plenty of evidence that we did this to ourselves--I suppose that is the very definition of a punishment from God, Who allows us to experience the fruit of our evil works.
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Teresa Agrorum's post:
  • ActusFidei313, antiquarian
No, it isn't. It's a virus, not the result of sinful behavior (like, for example, cancer from smoking, or AIDS as a result of sexual promiscuity). We've had worse viruses and plagues before. For example, the Hong Kong flu in 1968 killed more people, and the same year we had Woodstock, which included a lot of bad behavior, and the world didn't end. Heck, the year after we sent men to the moon.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark Trahan's post:
  • Fionnchu, Sacred Heart lover
(06-30-2020, 09:12 PM)Mark Trahan Wrote: No, it isn't.  It's a virus, not the result of sinful behavior (like, for example, cancer from smoking, or AIDS as a result of sexual promiscuity).  We've had worse viruses and plagues before.  For example, the Hong Kong flu in 1968 killed more people, and the same year we had Woodstock, which included a lot of bad behavior, and the world didn't end.  Heck, the year after we sent men to the moon.

Brainwashing is the real virus.
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
[-] The following 3 users Like Sacred Heart lover's post:
  • antiquarian, Matthew7-7, Teresa Agrorum
Perhaps useful : "Should Catholics View Coronavirus as a Chastisement?"

[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • mlwalker1972, Teresa Agrorum
(06-28-2020, 08:39 PM)AllSeasons Wrote: Is coronavirus God's punishment for all the sins committed by mankind? 

If it is, it's really only punishing a small proportion of the people, namely the elderly with several co-morbidity factors.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bonaventure's post:
  • Augustinian, Fionnchu, Matthew7-7, Sacred Heart lover
Initially, when we thought it was actually going to be a serious pandemic, many were speculating that it may be a chastisement from God (myself included). But, as things have developed, the real chastisement is yet to come, potentially in the form of these anarchists attacking churches and the faithful. But that remains to be seen.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

"modern Catholics have tended to put too much faith in the pope and too little in the Church." - Bishop Williamson.
[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • Mourning Dove, Teresa Agrorum
I think that all misfortune is in a way a chastisement and a result of our sins.
"If your heart comes to feel a natural hatred for sin, it has defeated the causes of sin and freed itself from them. Keep hell’s torments in mind; but know that your Helper is at hand. Do nothing that will grieve Him, but say to Him with tears: ‘Be merciful and deliver me, O Lord, for without Thy help I cannot escape from the hands of my enemies.’ Be attentive to your heart, and He will guard you from all evil."

- St. Isaias the Solitary

"Constant action overcomes cold; being still overcomes heat. Purity
and stillness give the correct law to all under heaven."

- Tao Te Ching 45
[-] The following 1 user Likes Florus's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum
(07-01-2020, 02:31 PM)Bonaventure Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 08:39 PM)AllSeasons Wrote: Is coronavirus God's punishment for all the sins committed by mankind? 

If it is, it's really only punishing a small proportion of the people, namely the elderly with several co-morbidity factors.

I think that's too narrow of a view of the punishment.  What about those small businesses who were forced to close?  What about those workers who can no longer put food on the table for their families?  What about those who are losing their homes and the roof over their heads?  And for the elderly who suffered and/or died, what about those who weep for them?  With the resurgence of the coronavirus, and all the other wounds and inequalities that it has exacerbated, this is turning into a much bigger chastisement than just the most vulnerable.
[-] The following 2 users Like AllSeasons's post:
  • Fionnchu, Sacred Heart lover
(07-04-2020, 06:13 PM)AllSeasons Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 02:31 PM)Bonaventure Wrote:

I think that's too narrow of a view of the punishment.  What about those small businesses who were forced to close?  What about those workers who can no longer put food on the table for their families?  What about those who are losing their homes and the roof over their heads?  And for the elderly who suffered and/or died, what about those who weep for them?  With the resurgence of the coronavirus, and all the other wounds and inequalities that it has exacerbated, this is turning into a much bigger chastisement than just the most vulnerable.
Agreed--I am among those with immediate family members laid off, and with economic security weakened. And among those who hesitate to go out, as a family member with multiple high-risk factors may be exposed by my own "free choice" when I come home. Or by those, three in my circle, one close family, who died in the past few months--a ripple effect as they all suffered more by not getting the full care they might have if the virus had not re-directed medical attention and if the facilities were safer. Besides the students and their families I have taught (now online) with the virus, and those who recover who face diminished immune systems. And the millions of us who mourn and never were able to attend funerals or be at the bedside of a dying relative. Billions of us, without pensions or union benefits or the protection that ensures we will not have to return to compromised workplaces--all this hits us, beyond "death tolls" proper. Long term, the effects of this global situation will resonate in ways we cannot imagine, I predict...
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fionnchu's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover