Two coincidences
The weekend before this past weekend, I visited my friend in Yokohama and while there, I prayed in the beautiful cathedral of the Sacred Heart there, and it just so happened that my visit coincided with the feast of Sacred Heart. And then yesterday, I visited a nearby city and stopped by the church there, which happened to be dedicated to Sts. Peter and Paul, and I was surprised to learn that today is their feast day. That makes two coincidences in a row. Of course, they don't have to mean anything, but I wonder if I am being called to greater devotion to the Sacred Heart and Sts. Peter and Paul after stumbling on these churches.

Anyway, for your enjoyment, I'll include a picture of the cathedral. It is one of the most beautiful churches I've seen, not only in Japan but anywhere.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Omnia et in omnibus Christus
[-] The following 6 users Like whitewashed_tomb's post:
  • Augustinian, JacafamalaRedux, jovan66102, Sacred Heart lover, Teresa Agrorum, Zedta
I can tell you right away, that sanctuary is gorgeous.

"There are no coincidences." ~St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Teresa Agrorum's post:
  • HailGilbert, Zedta
You cannot go wrong with a deeper devotion to the Sacred Heart
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

"modern Catholics have tended to put too much faith in the pope and too little in the Church." - Bishop Williamson.
[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • HailGilbert, Zedta
this is unrelated but ive always wanted to visit Japan, now im happy to know i can attend mass if i indeed go there some day
[-] The following 2 users Like xsantiagox's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux, Zedta
(06-29-2020, 05:41 AM)whitewashed_tomb Wrote: The weekend before this past weekend, I visited my friend in Yokohama and while there, I prayed in the beautiful cathedral of the Sacred Heart there, and it just so happened that my visit coincided with the feast of Sacred Heart. And then yesterday, I visited a nearby city and stopped by the church there, which happened to be dedicated to Sts. Peter and Paul, and I was surprised to learn that today is their feast day. That makes two coincidences in a row. Of course, they don't have to mean anything, but I wonder if I am being called to greater devotion to the Sacred Heart and Sts. Peter and Paul after stumbling on these churches.

Anyway, for your enjoyment, I'll include a picture of the cathedral. It is one of the most beautiful churches I've seen, not only in Japan but anywhere.

There are no coincidences. It must be a little smile from heaven lighting down upon you somehow.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
[-] The following 2 users Like JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • whitewashed_tomb, Zedta
(06-29-2020, 08:20 PM)xsantiagox Wrote: this is unrelated but ive always wanted to visit Japan, now im happy to know i can attend mass if i indeed go there some day
I was surprised when I arrived in Japan and saw that there is at least one Catholic church in most moderately sized cities and towns throughout the country. Unless a city has large immigrant populations, as is the case with the city I live in, the parish congregation will be small and primarily elderly, but most churches survive by having nursing schools and kindergartens attached.

Unfortunately, not all churches are as beautiful as the one above. While many churches are quite nice, if simple, in design, I found a church in the largest city of my prefecture that is absolutely hideous; the ugliest church I've ever seen. It looks like a dilapidated concrete government office or community center that they converted into a church (I hope that is the case, as it was located next to the city hall and the prefectural immigration office, but I have a sickening suspicion it was intentionally designed this way).

I took a photo of it and I tried to attach it to this message but for some reason, it's not letting me. You'll just have to take my word on it. The contrast between the two churches is astounding. You have the great beauty that draws you in and upward to God and the worldly eyesore, invisible among all the other drab modern architecture, that doesn't remotely resemble a church or point the heart towards God. Japan is clearly a land of extremes.
(06-29-2020, 09:43 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 05:41 AM)whitewashed_tomb Wrote: The weekend before this past weekend, I visited my friend in Yokohama and while there, I prayed in the beautiful cathedral of the Sacred Heart there, and it just so happened that my visit coincided with the feast of Sacred Heart. And then yesterday, I visited a nearby city and stopped by the church there, which happened to be dedicated to Sts. Peter and Paul, and I was surprised to learn that today is their feast day. That makes two coincidences in a row. Of course, they don't have to mean anything, but I wonder if I am being called to greater devotion to the Sacred Heart and Sts. Peter and Paul after stumbling on these churches.

There are no coincidences. It must be a little smile from heaven lighting down upon you somehow.
And that's not even the end of the coincidences. I was looking up SSPX chapels near my hometown in California for when I do eventually go back home, and I found one not too far away that was not only relatively close by but also looked promising.

I mentioned that I was looking at Latin mass churches back home to my girlfriend here, and she mentioned that she has a friend from her days in college in Manila who now lives in California and posts images of the traditional Latin mass church he attends. I asked her to show me some of his photos and sure enough, it was the very SSPX chapel that I had been looking at earlier. Her friend's friend is also the newly ordained priest there.

That now makes three church-related coincidences. God must be trying to tell me something. If nothing else, I'll take that as motivation to definitely visit this chapel when I return home.
[-] The following 4 users Like whitewashed_tomb's post:
  • Augustinian, Sacred Heart lover, Teresa Agrorum, Zedta
(06-30-2020, 06:16 AM)whitewashed_tomb Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 09:43 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote:

And that's not even the end of the coincidences. I was looking up SSPX chapels near my hometown in California for when I do eventually go back home, and I found one not too far away that was not only relatively close by but also looked promising.

I mentioned that I was looking at Latin mass churches back home to my girlfriend here, and she mentioned that she has a friend from her days in college in Manila who now lives in California and posts images of the traditional Latin mass church he attends. I asked her to show me some of his photos and sure enough, it was the very SSPX chapel that I had been looking at earlier. Her friend's friend is also the newly ordained priest there.

That now makes three church-related coincidences. God must be trying to tell me something. If nothing else, I'll take that as motivation to definitely visit this chapel when I return home.

I agree. Definitely do so.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

"modern Catholics have tended to put too much faith in the pope and too little in the Church." - Bishop Williamson.
[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum, Zedta