St. Vincent Ferrer and the impending Judgment
[Image: San-Vicente-Ferrer-Santo.jpg]

Given my restlessness with reading, I've taken a tangent this week and have been blazing through Fr. Stanislaus Hogan's book on Saint Vincent Ferrer. I'll give credit to my Angel for this diversion, as it has been insightful and fruitful, as well as relevant to the other books I am reading.

In the chapter called "The Angel of the Judgment" the author discusses the possibilities as to why the prophecy of the impending Final Judgment did not pan out in the era relative to St. Vincent's life. As he preached and declared himself the "Angel of the Judgment", St. Vincent would repeat that Judgment would be coming "soon, very soon." Yet, after 500 years, this clearly did not pan out. Or did it?

While it did not come "soon" in the human perspective, and it is cited that this may have been due to the effect of his preaching and mass-conversions. A form of the Ninevah conversion from the book of Jonah manifested. We need to remember that the Saint lived at the time of the Great Schism, so there was much confusion in the Church; as well as the sinful excesses of the people, especially in the Florentine area. St. Vincent was able to successfully convert the people of Europe to a more godly life, therefore delaying the Final Judgment to a later time. But, this does not mean the Final Judgment will not come, it just no longer would be "soon" in the human terms of that era. 

This lends insight into how prophecy and Providence manifest to us creatures in time. Whereas God knows all things, including all possibilities that remain in potency, He is able to see all of history at once from His place in eternity. Wherefore, He may inspire a prophecy, but that prophecy has the potential to be postponed and averted by the actualization of a separate potentiality in line with the grace given by God. This shifts the causal chain of history from a more immediate end, to a more distant one which allows for more souls to be born and convert to the True Religion, further glorifying God. Yet, when the world becomes supremely sinful and displeasing to God, with almost no souls responding to grace (I think of our times), then He may allow for the potentialities in Providence which lead to a more immediate end. 

For example, the Church was warned of Christ's impending wrath by Fatima, and we were provided with the means to avert it. Yet, the Church did not comply, so now we are living those potential times wherein the Church suffers. So, as it stands now, we may be closer to the Final Judgment than any point in history simply due to the overall sinfulness of the world. If we can attain a conversion like that of the Ninivites, then it may be postponed once more, but as things have gotten worse over the past 6 months, I see that possibility slipping from our reach. I am merely speculating, but lately I have looked at the direction wherein history is headed, and I don't know if I see things carrying on in such a sinful manner without immediate intervention by God. A chastisement would be a mercy compared to the Final Judgment, but really, have we even approached a "Niniveh moment" to see an aversion from the road down which we have been headed?

I honestly don't know, but this has been weighing heavily on my mind as of late.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • ActusFidei313, Teresa Agrorum
Quote:So, as it stands now, we may be closer to the Final Judgment than any point in history simply due to the overall sinfulness of the world. If we can attain a conversion like that of the Ninivites, then it may be postponed once more, but as things have gotten worse over the past 6 months, I see that possibility slipping from our reach. I am merely speculating, but lately I have looked at the direction wherein history is headed, and I don't know if I see things carrying on in such a sinful manner without immediate intervention by God. A chastisement would be a mercy compared to the Final Judgment, but really, have we even approached a "Niniveh moment" to see an aversion from the road down which we have been headed?

I honestly don't know, but this has been weighing heavily on my mind as of late.

Thank you, Augustinian, for this reflection on a topic that seems pretty timely. I've been feeling as though there isn't any time left and I can't say why.

Sr. Lucia of Fatima said that we shall all be saved together or we shall all be damned together. Consider that.
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.