Some Nice Eye Candy May Be Coming Our Way in the Skies
Looks like it survived its close encounter with our star and may stay together and give us some nice views ahead:

Article Wrote:Space Weather News for July 3, 2020
https://spaceweather.com
https://www.spaceweatheralerts.com

BRIGHT MORNING COMET: Today, Comet NEOWISE (C/2020 F3) is passing by the sun near the orbit of Mercury--and it seems to be thriving. Many astronomers in Europe and the USA photographed the comet at the crack of dawn shining through bright twilight. The mornings ahead could be even better. Visit today's edition of Spaceweather.com for pictures and observing tips.

Aurora alerts: Sign up for Space Weather Alerts and receive a text message when auroras appear in your area.

[Image: mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com...4ggPsA--~D]

Above: Comet NEOWISE in morning twilight on July 3rd. Credit: Chris Schur of Payson, AZ. [more images]

One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis
[-] The following 2 users Like Zedta's post:
  • Augustinian, Teresa Agrorum
Quote:Praise ye the Lord from the heavens: praise ye him in the high places.

Praise ye him, all his angels, praise ye him, all his hosts.

Praise ye him, O sun and moon: praise him, all ye stars and light.

Praise him, ye heavens of heavens: and let all the waters that are above the heavens

Praise the name of the Lord. For he spoke, and they were made: he commanded, and they were created.

He hath established them for ever, and for ages of ages: he hath made a decree, and it shall not pass away.

Praise the Lord from the earth, ye dragons, and all ye deeps:

Fire, hail, snow, ice, stormy winds, which fulfil his word:

Mountains and all hills, fruitful trees and all cedars:

Beasts and all cattle: serpents and feathered fowls:

Kings of the earth and all people: princes and all judges of the earth:

Young men and maidens: let the old with the younger, praise the name of the Lord:

For his name alone is exalted.

The praise of him is above heaven and earth: and he hath exalted the horn of his people. A hymn to all his saints to the children of Israel, a people approaching to him. Alleluia.

-Psalm 148
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

"modern Catholics have tended to put too much faith in the pope and too little in the Church." - Bishop Williamson.

"And fear ye not them that kill the body, and are not able to kill the soul; but rather fear him that can destroy both soul and body in hell." - Mt. 10:28
[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • Teresa Agrorum, Zedta
(07-03-2020, 05:54 PM)Augustinian Wrote: Praise ye the Lord from the heavens: praise ye him in the high places.

/snip/

-Psalm 148

One of my absolutely favourite Psalms!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Augustinian, Teresa Agrorum
It is getting better all the time after all:

Quote:
Comet whizzing by Earth for 1st time in 6,800 years is visible
to naked eye and has sprouted a second tail!
[Image: 200709.NEOWISE.2.tails.jpg]

CAPTION: Comet NEOWISE just keeps getting better. Not only is it visible to the naked eye in morning twilight, but also, now, it has two tails. Sebastian Voltmer photographed them over the village church of Spicheren, France. The brighter of the two is the dust tail, made of dusty-rocky grains sprinkled like crumbs along the comet's curved orbit. Just above it is the faint ion tail, made of gas shoved straight away from the sun by the solar wind. You have to look carefully to see the ion tail; it's blue and sits on top of the brighter tail. This makes it tricky to see against a backdrop of blue twilight. Visibility will improve in the days ahead as the comet moves into darker skies farther from the sun. (Taken by Sebastian Voltmer on July 7, 2020 in Spicheren, France, Spaceweather)

“Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) – discovered back in March by NASA's NEOWISE mission – is getting the attention of skywatchers across the Northern Hemisphere this month,” NASA said.

Earlier in 2020, two other newly discovered comets, Comet SWAN and Comet ATLAS, were showing promising signs of eventually becoming bright enough to see with the unaided eye, but both eventually fizzled. The third time was the charm when Comet NEOWISE was discovered as it has lived up to astronomers' predictions that it could become a visible feature in the night sky.

It is now brighter than Halley’s Comet appeared when it zipped through the inner solar system back in 1986.

How to see Comet NEOWISE in the sky

Comet NEOWISE can be seen with the naked eye, but onlookers need to know what time and what direction to look to see it as it will not be a prominent feature in the sky.

Right now, it is only visible in the early morning about one to two hours before sunrise in the northeastern sky. This may mean waking up at 4 a.m. (local time) to spot it before the comet gets lost in the daylight. Evening stargazers will be able to see the comet starting on the week of July 13 off to the northwest, just below the Big Dipper. (Accuweather)

One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

Jessie Ventura

Mark Twain

Mark Twain

C.S. Lewis
[-] The following 2 users Like Zedta's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux, Teresa Agrorum
An unbelievably beautiful photo.
Qui me amat, amet et Deum meum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Teresa Agrorum's post:
  • Zedta
Go to this site for an article with some very beautiful NEOWISE photos from around the world and from the ISS: https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2020/0...se/614230/
Art Bell

Jessie Ventura

Mark Twain

Mark Twain

C.S. Lewis
[Image: mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com...GPAWew--~D]

How to see Comet NEOWISE
Location of Comet NEOWISE from July 20 to 26. Face northwest at dusk, avoiding trees or buildings, to have a clear view of the northwest horizon. Be sure to bring along your binoculars, although some in country locations say they can view the comet with the eye alone. Tomorrow, Comet NEOWISE will be closest to Earth and also near the moon in the west after sunset. Don't miss it.
Art Bell

Jessie Ventura

Mark Twain

Mark Twain

C.S. Lewis