The Problem With Contemporary Churches

I have watched a few of this gentleman's videos. The above one should, I hope, begin 4 mins 49 seconds in: "What I saw protestants doing was..."

Brian succinctly summarises what is wrong with modern Christianity, IMHO. With Novus Ordo, I believe Catholicism is not immune, either. That is why I want to attend a TLM.
Great summary, and that's why I have always found both ends of the Protestant spectrum unattractive. The traditionalists are too stripped down so as to have no appeal, almost bereft of the vital spiritual element needed for worship. The more contemporary sects have entirely jettisoned their Christian character and virtues in a race to embrace the modern world to see who could catch more converts.

Someone I talked to mentioned his admiration of how well Evangelicals have incorporated and appealed to the current culture and wished Catholics would follow suit. I just don't see this as a positive thing. Great - you helped some atheists and degenerates find God, but have they actually turned their lives around to follow the true Christ or just some watered-down, hippie-friendly version of Him? Unfortunately, as Brian suggests, you risk eventual implosion by adapting to the current climate, especially when it changes as rapidly as it does today.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mourning Dove's post:
  • Augustinian, HailGilbert, jovan66102, Matthew7-7
(07-14-2020, 08:49 AM)Mourning Dove Wrote: I have always found both ends of the Protestant spectrum unattractive.  The traditionalists are too stripped down so as to have no appeal, almost bereft of the vital spiritual element needed for worship.  The more contemporary sects have entirely jettisoned their Christian character and virtues in a race to embrace the modern world to see who could catch more converts. 

Succinctly put. I totally agree.
(07-14-2020, 08:49 AM)Mourning Dove Wrote: Someone I talked to mentioned his admiration of how well Evangelicals have incorporated and appealed to the current culture and wished Catholics would follow suit.  I just don't see this as a positive thing.  Great - you helped some atheists and degenerates find God, but have they actually turned their lives around to follow the true Christ or just some watered-down, hippie-friendly version of Him?  Unfortunately, as Brian suggests, you risk eventual implosion by adapting to the current climate, especially when it changes as rapidly as it does today.

Evangelicalism is a special kind of evil hiding behind a Christian face. My soon-to-be brother-in-law is an Evangelical, but is willing to put his politics above the simple truths Christ taught in the Gospels, citing in particular a recent conversation where he claims to be "pro-life" but supports a woman's "right to choose." I attempted to explain to him that an evil act for good intentions is still an evil act, no matter how you paint it, but I think he just took that as my crazy "Catholic" opinion rather than a serious point.

Evangelicals like the warm and fuzzy 'feelies' that pretending to follow Christ brings you, but are unwilling to accept the hard teachings and calls to conversion that Christ expected. Not to say that many so-called Catholics follow suit either.

Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. - Matt. 7:21
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

"modern Catholics have tended to put too much faith in the pope and too little in the Church." - Bishop Williamson.

"And fear ye not them that kill the body, and are not able to kill the soul; but rather fear him that can destroy both soul and body in hell." - Mt. 10:28
[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • Matthew7-7, Mourning Dove
Quote:My soon-to-be brother-in-law is an Evangelical, but is willing to put his politics above the simple truths Christ taught in the Gospels, citing in particular a recent conversation where he claims to be "pro-life" but supports a woman's "right to choose."

Fence-sitting cognitive dissonance at its finest - that's the kind of argument I'd expect from an atheistic Moderate.  Why even purport to be Christian?  Sadly, I've heard some of the same reasoning from left-leaning Catholics.

If we really support a woman's rights, we are more inclined to prevent her from even finding herself in that situation to begin with.  

Quote:Evangelicals like the warm and fuzzy 'feelies' that pretending to follow Christ brings you, but are unwilling to accept the hard teachings and calls to conversion that Christ expected. Not to say that many so-called Catholics follow suit either.

That about sums it up!  Yes, God is love - but it's tough love, and that's not a bad thing since tough love builds character and protects us from evil forces.  These are the same people who point to our Lord associating with sinners (perhaps as an excuse to rationalize the sin they refuse to remediate?) but seem to forget the crucial second part to "sin no more."

I do wonder - without the sacrament of penance, what system do Prots have to recognize and self-correct sinful behavior?  Do they just keep repeating it and excuse themselves with "I'm a sinner"?
(07-16-2020, 09:01 AM)Mourning Dove Wrote: I do wonder - without the sacrament of penance, what system do Prots have to recognize and self-correct sinful behavior?  Do they just keep repeating it and excuse themselves with "I'm a sinner"?
They gave into psycobabble and started a movement called Biblical Counseling. I think it came out of the drug-fueled 70s and really took off in the 90s. You might be chosen to share your "testimony" in front of everybody like a celebrity roast, if you are trustworthy and your story is going to pull heartstrings. This reinforces the belief in the need for conversion experiences, instead of being able to say "I was born and raised in a Christian family" with a thankful heart. That isn't showy enough, that doesn't open wallets.

I have been to Baptist and Presbyterian churches where this was not the case, but those churches were outside the evangelical mainstream.
Well Protestants believe in the 'five solae'. Solus Christus, through Christ alone, is the belief that no earthly mediator is necessary and one can pray straight to Jesus/God for forgiveness.