AA meetings on hold
Sometimes I drink too much.  Not all the time, but every once in a while I'll start drinking and I'll do the all day slow drinking thing.  Not falling down drink, just mildly inebriated for half the day and I'll do this for weeks at a time (I'm retired).  Then I'll stop for months at a time because I know it's not healthy for me. 

Anyway, I started drinking again a few days ago after 6 months of not drinking.  My excuse was to help cope with chronic back pain. B.S. of course, I just like drinking.

I've never tried the AA thing so I thought I would give them a call to see about going to a meeting.  Maybe it'll make it easier. 

The lady who answered asked for my zip code and and checked.  She said there were no meetings in my area, they are all on hold because of Covid-19 restrictions. 

Think about that.  I can quit with some effort, but I know there are a lot of folks who can't.  If it's happening in my area, it's probably happening all over.  I'm sure other support groups are experiencing the same thing. 

Just how much collateral damage is our society suffering because of the coronavirus restrictions?  Makes you wonder.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jack89's post:
  • Matthew7-7
First, I'm glad to hear you're trying to keep it in check.  Kudos, and I'll add you to my Rosary intentions today.

Can't go to AA for self-help, or go to Mass or bible study to try to better myself?  But I can buy bourbon and pot?  Or go to a riot/protest with or without a mask and without social distancing?  What is going on?  I'm generally not the conspiracy theory type, but that almost seems like part of a coordinated effort to keep people either subjugated (drunk or high) or pissed off and demanding "change".
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 3 users Like Jeeter's post:
  • jack89, Matthew7-7, Mourning Dove
Is there a local number you can call for information?  Perhaps they are meeting somewhere unofficially, or they're having Skype or Zoom meetings.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Credidi Propter's post:
  • jack89
(07-27-2020, 11:33 AM)Jeeter Wrote: Can't go to AA for self-help, or go to Mass or bible study to try to better myself?  But I can buy bourbon and pot?  Or go to a riot/protest with or without a mask and without social distancing?  What is going on?  I'm generally not the conspiracy theory type, but that almost seems like part of a coordinated effort to keep people either subjugated (drunk or high) or pissed off and demanding "change".

Spot-on!  Many gyms are still closed, too.  As if social degeneration wasn't occurring swiftly enough - with people getting fatter, dumber, more docile and aimless - they had to corner people and isolate them so that degenerate outlets for daily stressors were their ONLY option.  

I hear you, Jack.  Drinking is fun - and perfectly fine in the right context when approached with temperance.  I used to feel obligated to drink everyday of the weekend (and a few weeknights as well), whether out with friends or at home, as I had come to see how many drinks I racked up per week as a measure of how fun my life was.  Then I realized this was just a band-aid for boredom, loneliness, anxiety, or depression.  Instead of channeling these unpleasant states, we're often encouraged to be hypochondriacs and to make excuses to self-medicate, losing ourselves in inebriation.  We should try to seek other activities which bring more value to our lives and provide a more sustainable sense of well-being.  

I was doing pretty well at limiting myself to 1-2 drinks per week, even during the peak of quarantine.  But now that bars have reopened, I won't lie - going out for beer helps me forget the ugly reality of America 2020 and gives me a sense of hope for returning to normalcy, so I've contradicted my own advice!
[-] The following 2 users Like Mourning Dove's post:
  • jack89, Matthew7-7
(07-27-2020, 11:33 AM)Jeeter Wrote: First, I'm glad to hear you're trying to keep it in check.  Kudos, and I'll add you to my Rosary intentions today.

Can't go to AA for self-help, or go to Mass or bible study to try to better myself?  But I can buy bourbon and pot?  Or go to a riot/protest with or without a mask and without social distancing?  What is going on?  I'm generally not the conspiracy theory type, but that almost seems like part of a coordinated effort to keep people either subjugated (drunk or high) or pissed off and demanding "change".

Thanks, I'm fine.  I'm more concerned for others who have more difficulty with it than me.  I do appreciate the prayers, though.  

I don't know about a coordinated effort, but I do think some politicians are reacting without looking at the big picture.  I think the measures put in place for Covid-19 will be worse than the virus in the long run.  

Cheers and God Bless.
My father was an AA sponsor and helped a lot of people get their life back together from the disease of Alcoholism and addiction. Don't try and fill your life with booze or (insert vice here) and take it one day at a time and give anything to difficult to deal with over to God and put it in His Hands and trust Him and His Will...and you will get through it.

This is a travesty all this Covid insanity!

Faucci is a psychopath and a pathological liar. He should be castrated and filleted alive and his worthless corpse dumped into a burning inferno.
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • Credidi Propter