Imported Clothing
So I'm leaving home in a few weeks and realized that it's been years since I bought clothes, and most of mine are starting to fall apart.  
Since I last bought clothes I've become adamant about not buying from China for the usual reasons.  (on a side note I'm working on lists of items made "ethically", and if anyone wants help with finding something feel free to PM me.  This includes electronics, heck I'm typing this on a 100% American made keyboard)
However, obviously China isn't the only problem.  Avoiding Chinese clothes/Chinese materials isn't actually all that hard, IIRC less than 40% of our clothes are made there.  My problem is with buying stuff made in developing countries like Bangladesh, smaller Central American countries, and some Asian countries.  Even stuff made in America and other first world countries can be using imported materials.  

There's two sides of this question.  On the one hand there's the poor working conditions, child labor, etc.  On the other hand from what I can tell these workers are generally better off than others around them and would be worse off without these jobs.*  

Off course some companies are committed to sourcing stuff ethically (no child labor, paying a decent wage, etc.)  

In my own case I really want to order some pants which are made in either Indonesia or El Salvador.  While I'm not assuming these pants are made in sweatshops I think a good argument could be made that you should only order from companies who are open about how/where they source their stuff, or buying used.  (because honestly some of this stuff is expensive)

I do have the option to order other pants, but the ones I was about to order fit just about all my criteria.  There are a few others that do as well, but they aren't any better AFAIK.  

Any thoughts?  What do you guys wear? 

Also, I get this could be seen coming as being elitist and snooty, but I think these are legitimate issues.  I'm almost at the point wear I buy some fabric and try to make my own stuff.  

Sorry if this is a bit incoherent, it's really hot here and I've spent the past few days of vacation in front of a screen trying to plan for college. 

Tr;Dl:  What are your feelings on clothing made "overseas" and what do you yourselves wear?  

*Not that justifies keeping workers in horrible conditions
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gondothlim's post:
  • Elle19
Etsy can be a very useful resource for clothing and goods. You can communicate directly with the sellers/makers for information about where they source their materials, if it is not already listed. I like buying clothes off Etsy (even if it is more expensive) because I can oftentimes directly support an actual family with my business. Many things can be custom-sized!

Some people like Everlane for their prices, quality, and transparency.

Imogene + Willie and Williamsburg Garment Co. make jeans using denim made in the US, if you don’t mind the premium price.
Thanks. I hadn't thought about Etsy. My only problem is (for pants anyway) I'm looking for a very specific color in a specific sort of fabric that I can wear casually but are also durable enough to wear to the range or for training.

Other than that I'll definitely search around on there. Thanks!
It is shocking the number of tactical gear companies that do not manufacture in the US.

My husband suggested Patagonia. The clothes may be imported, but they are certified Fair Trade (or the clothing equivalent). The company takes this obligation very seriously. They also won’t obviously be “shoot first” pants (a terrible joke a co-worker makes about people who wear 5.11 because you know they’re concealed carrying). Their pants will travel from field to town nicely.

Massif makes baller gear, and my pants are labeled Made in USA. A friend got a great price on a Massif jacket off eBay. But these will be very obviously not your average casual trousers.

Honestly, as a female, I don’t try to get pants that will “do it all” because if I’m wearing pants (as opposed to jeans), I’m probably doing something that requires pants, like hiking. Otherwise I prefer skirts or dresses for casual wear!

I would be very interested in whatever resources you assemble. I have found this venture frustrating in my own life, particularly in regards to dressing my baby. I don’t want to spend $30+ on a onesie that he will wear for a month before growing out of it, but I also think it’s repugnant that in order for my child to get dressed, another child has to slave away in a factory.
(07-28-2020, 08:38 PM)Gondothlim Wrote:
So I'm leaving home in a few weeks and realized that it's been years since I bought clothes, and most of mine are starting to fall apart.  
Since I last bought clothes I've become adamant about not buying from China for the usual reasons.  (on a side note I'm working on lists of items made "ethically", and if anyone wants help with finding something feel free to PM me.  This includes electronics, heck I'm typing this on a 100% American made keyboard)
However, obviously China isn't the only problem.  Avoiding Chinese clothes/Chinese materials isn't actually all that hard, IIRC less than 40% of our clothes are made there.  My problem is with buying stuff made in developing countries like Bangladesh, smaller Central American countries, and some Asian countries.  Even stuff made in America and other first world countries can be using imported materials.  

There's two sides of this question.  On the one hand there's the poor working conditions, child labor, etc.  On the other hand from what I can tell these workers are generally better off than others around them and would be worse off without these jobs.*  

Off course some companies are committed to sourcing stuff ethically (no child labor, paying a decent wage, etc.)  

In my own case I really want to order some pants which are made in either Indonesia or El Salvador.  While I'm not assuming these pants are made in sweatshops I think a good argument could be made that you should only order from companies who are open about how/where they source their stuff, or buying used.  (because honestly some of this stuff is expensive)

I do have the option to order other pants, but the ones I was about to order fit just about all my criteria.  There are a few others that do as well, but they aren't any better AFAIK.  

Any thoughts?  What do you guys wear? 

Also, I get this could be seen coming as being elitist and snooty, but I think these are legitimate issues.  I'm almost at the point wear I buy some fabric and try to make my own stuff.  

Sorry if this is a bit incoherent, it's really hot here and I've spent the past few days of vacation in front of a screen trying to plan for college. 

Tr;Dl:  What are your feelings on clothing made "overseas" and what do you yourselves wear?  

*Not that justifies keeping workers in horrible conditions
Stumbled across this this morning. 
https://www.haspel.com/pages/history
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!