Question: “House viewing” on Sunday, sin?
Dear Friends

We have someone coming to view our house — presumably with their realtor — today.
Is this any sin against the Third Commandment? My concern is the cleaning I’ve done (approx 30 mins or so), and the realtor working on a Sunday.
However, there’s no exchange of money taking place, and, to my understanding, contracts can be entered into lawfully on Sunday.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Blessings!
The Commandment to observe the Sabbath isn't as strenuous within the New Covenant, Catholicism, as it was in the days of the Old Covenant.  What constitutes "servile work" will vary from one time period to another, and from one locale to another.  And there are exceptions, such as necessity (e.g. to avoid some kind of harm or to earn a living).  On the question of the realtor, I've known realtors before.  It is the kind of work where one must be willing to work on nights and weekends.  They have to be able to show homes at times that work for their clients.  Since prospective home buyers are usually employed, that means nights and weekends (including Sundays) might be the only time they can view a home to buy.  In other words, for the realtor and the buyer, a Sunday viewing might very well be a necessity for them.  As for your house cleaning, I think most would consider it necessary to tidy things up a bit before a guest or prospective buyer arrives.  It doesn't seem like it qualifies as unnecessary servile labor, especially considering how brief it was.  So, no, I wouldn't think you've committed a mortal sin, or even a venial sin.
(08-02-2020, 10:54 AM)SeekerofChrist Wrote: The Commandment to observe the Sabbath isn't as strenuous within the New Covenant, Catholicism, as it was in the days of the Old Covenant.  What constitutes "servile work" will vary from one time period to another, and from one locale to another.  And there are exceptions, such as necessity (e.g. to avoid some kind of harm or to earn a living).  On the question of the realtor, I've known realtors before.  It is the kind of work where one must be willing to work on nights and weekends.  They have to be able to show homes at times that work for their clients.  Since prospective home buyers are usually employed, that means nights and weekends (including Sundays) might be the only time they can view a home to buy.  In other words, for the realtor and the buyer, a Sunday viewing might very well be a necessity for them.  As for your house cleaning, I think most would consider it necessary to tidy things up a bit before a guest or prospective buyer arrives.  It doesn't seem like it qualifies as unnecessary servile labor, especially considering how brief it was.  So, no, I wouldn't think you've committed a mortal sin, or even a venial sin.
Thanks friend.
(08-02-2020, 10:09 AM)FultonFan Wrote: Dear Friends

We have someone coming to view our house — presumably with their realtor — today.
Is this any sin against the Third Commandment? My concern is the cleaning I’ve done (approx 30 mins or so), and the realtor working on a Sunday.
However, there’s no exchange of money taking place, and, to my understanding, contracts can be entered into lawfully on Sunday.

Blessings!

According to the Handbook of Moral Theology; No. As long as the total of servile work does not exceed a total of 2 hours (continuous, or intervally, and again this is strictly just the opinions of theologians), then it should not constitute a grave reason. As long as you either attend Mass, or make the effort to observe the Sabbath (depending on the dispensations of you diocese) then you should be fine. Servile work has generally been seen as work that: requires mainly bodily activity, has its immediate purpose to the welfare of the body, and was formally done by slaves (sewing, farming, digging, mechanical work, etc.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • SeekerofChrist
(08-02-2020, 10:09 AM)FultonFan Wrote: Dear Friends

Blessings!

If your house is for sale, I assume you want to sell it.  I honestly do appreciate your concern and respect it.  But, in light of present economic circumstances, I wouldn't even give it a thought.  You might have a buyer today who may not be able to afford it tomorrow.  Just to cite one example.  

Good luck.  Out of curiosity did you bury a St. Joseph figurine of some sort?  I have never done so, and I don't think I like the idea at all, but one of the houses I bought in my life had one on the patio covered in a little dirt when we were conducting the home inspection.  Actually, it was the home inspector who pointed it out and quipped, "this is what made you buy the house!".  LOL.
(08-02-2020, 01:54 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: Good luck.  Out of curiosity did you bury a St. Joseph figurine of some sort?  I have never done so, and I don't think I like the idea at all, but one of the houses I bought in my life had one on the patio covered in a little dirt when we were conducting the home inspection.  Actually, it was the home inspector who pointed it out and quipped, "this is what made you buy the house!".  LOL.

I hate that superstition of "I gonna bury St Joe upside-down see, and if you don't sell my house O Lord...he's gonna stay buried...ya see!"

It's like a kidnapping-ransom prayer.
[-] The following 3 users Like austenbosten's post:
  • Adam Wayne, MagisterMusicae, Steven
(08-02-2020, 02:11 PM)austenbosten Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 01:54 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: Good luck.  Out of curiosity did you bury a St. Joseph figurine of some sort?  I have never done so, and I don't think I like the idea at all, but one of the houses I bought in my life had one on the patio covered in a little dirt when we were conducting the home inspection.  Actually, it was the home inspector who pointed it out and quipped, "this is what made you buy the house!".  LOL.

I hate that superstition of "I gonna bury St Joe upside-down see, and if you don't sell my house O Lord...he's gonna stay buried...ya see!"

It's like a kidnapping-ransom prayer.

I had no idea that there was this "prayer" attached to it.  Thanks for sharing that.  Ransom prayer indeed.  I knew there was something about it I did not like.  And, if not clear in my initial response, this was the first I had ever heard of the practice at all.  Granted we are talking almost 25 years since that event.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Adam Wayne's post:
  • austenbosten
Better question : Is it virtuous?

If so, then there is no sin.

If not, then there is something disordered, so at least some imperfection, if not sin. What degree is a different question depending on the obligation.
It’s fine. The people looking at houses may not be able to do it during the week because of their own jobs. Workers in real estate and other types of sales have to be available when there customers are on their own time.
(08-02-2020, 06:21 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: Better question : Is it virtuous?

If so, then there is no sin.

If not, then there is something disordered, so at least some imperfection, if not sin. What degree is a different question depending on the obligation.
-I would have to say no: no virtue; unless perhaps maybe some natural virtue of diligence in trying to get a little bigger house for our growing family.
-The sin, I would think, would be, at least to some degree (or perhaps, an imperfection), one against the virtue of religion, manifest in not conducting myself properly against the Third Commandment.
-I don’t know if what I said above is coherent, but at least I tried!