My dad's confusion...
Hello everyone!

Seems I always post only when I have a question.  Sorry.  But please know you all are in my rosary intentions, daily.

My dad has been bearing the burden of caring for his wife. They have been practicing the Josephite marriage.  It's such a mess and he was encouraging her to receive when she is not Catholic but Anglican.  Their parish priest stated that bc of this she was able to receive.  I've tried to remind my dad about how she needs to officially be brought into The Church.  Am I wrong? 

He seems to be leaning towards favoring Pope Francis's teachings.  And now that he is facing his wife's possible death he is questioning who The Body of Christ consists of and that it could be possible that all Christian's go to heaven.  I try to gently send him references but he basically says thanks but no thanks. 

I'm praying for him but I think I'm losing him to this modernist stuff and now that Pope Francis is spewing it, it makes it harder to reach him.

Ad Jesum per Mariam

Christine
Is the Josephite marriage an important fact in this situation?

Praying for your father and his ill wife
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Fairy's post:
  • ActusFidei313
(09-22-2020, 01:04 PM)ActusFidei313 Wrote: I've tried to remind my dad about how she needs to officially be brought into The Church.  Am I wrong? 

No.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bonaventure's post:
  • ActusFidei313, jack89, jovan66102, newenglandsun
Good afternoon Fishies, 

Ave Maria!

I have more questions.  They seem to come up after I talk with my dad.  He's has been taking Eucharist to his wife.  I'm really upset with his priest to is approving this and encouraging it.  

I don't talk to him over the phone about this.  I have written out a letter so far.  I'm torn. Should I even write to him about this? I think I have to say something.  It's uncomfortable because he raised me in the Faith, albeit via VII.  And it's uncomfortable because I'd rather be the one being corrected than me correcting him.  Should I stop overthinking this and just do it?

Is there some resource, in a nutshell, that explains why she can't receive, what happened in the Church that allowed this?

I hope I'm asking the right questions.

Thank you all for always getting back to me.  I continuously pray for all of you.

Ad Jesum per Mariam,
(11-05-2020, 12:49 PM)ActusFidei313 Wrote: I don't talk to him over the phone about this.  I have written out a letter so far.  I'm torn. Should I even write to him about this? I think I have to say something.  It's uncomfortable because he raised me in the Faith, albeit via VII.  And it's uncomfortable because I'd rather be the one being corrected than me correcting him.

He's the one in the wrong because he has been misled. The sooner you advise him, the sooner you have done your part.

(11-05-2020, 12:49 PM)ActusFidei313 Wrote: Should I stop overthinking this and just do it?

Yes, you should

(11-05-2020, 12:49 PM)ActusFidei313 Wrote: Is there some resource, in a nutshell, that explains why she can't receive, what happened in the Church that allowed this?

Canon 844 would be my starting point, but it could also answer your second question. I think there are probably others who can better provide a substantive answer, but the issue is really counting the "exception" case, which is so broadly defined that it might be hard to establish that her case is not a "case of necessity" or doesn't have "the right intention". It's important to explain why this is wrong, but it also needs to be communicated as to why it's not a good judgement call of the priest to allow this.

But once you're done your part, that's really all you can do.
Thank you for your kind bluntness.  

God bless!