The Samaritans
Here's an interesting documentary I found on youtube that takes a look at the last remaining community of Samaritans in existence. I haven't gotten through all of it yet, but it seems very interesting so far. They still have a priestly class it seems, and I guess you could say that they may actually be the closest thing in existence to the Judaism of Christ's day. Their population at the time this was shot (2018) was only 780, and unfortunately due to constant marriages between cousins their small community is beset with all sorts of genetic deformities. I'd say it's very doubtful that they'll exist much longer, but only God knows.

The contemplative is not one who discovers secrets no one knows, but one who is swept into ecstasy by what everyone knows.
-A Carthusian
[-] The following 2 users Like MeanGene's post:
  • Augustinian, jack89
That sounds extremely interesting. Thank you for sharing, I will have to check it out.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in the clothing of sheep, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.” (St. Matt. 7:15)
Very good documentary. The footage on the Passover sacrifice and feast was especially interesting. While it may seem gruesome to some, I thought it was fascinating in how it brought them together as a community. I imagine it's been celebrated this way for a very long time.

Their religions leaders are scrambling to bring in non-Samaritan women to expand the gene pool and boost numbers. A desperate but necessary move. I think it will eventually water down the culture, but only time will tell. The earlobe identification bit was pretty funny. Apparently if you have detached earlobes you have Samaritan ancestors.

Sad to see Breeto dislike his culture so much. It seems he's fallen prey to modern western culture.
It would be sad if an entire ethnic group were to become extinct.  They're not the only group with this kind of inbreeding problem, though.  Perhaps one of the developing genetic technologies might be morally licit and capable of dealing with that kind of issue, for the Samaritans and other ethnic groups.  I wonder, if they're pretty close to practicing Biblical Judaism, if it might possible for a mass conversion of their community to the Catholic Faith, with their own "Samaritan Rite" that allows them to preserve the core of their culture?  I'm not saying any of that is likely.  It is also well beyond my pay grade but it just occurred to me.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12
[-] The following 2 users Like SeekerofChrist's post:
  • Augustinian, jack89
(09-23-2020, 02:07 PM)SeekerofChrist Wrote:  I wonder, if they're pretty close to practicing Biblical Judaism, if it might possible for a mass conversion of their community to the Catholic Faith, with their own "Samaritan Rite" that allows them to preserve the core of their culture?  I'm not saying any of that is likely.  It is also well beyond my pay grade but it just occurred to me.

I had a similar thought too, although, one would have to realize that many, if not most, of the Samaritans converted to Christianity 2,000 years ago. Kind of like how a large portion of the Jews did as well. Given that they claim to have had a population of 1,000,000 3,000 years ago.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in the clothing of sheep, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.” (St. Matt. 7:15)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • SeekerofChrist
(09-23-2020, 05:27 PM)Augustinian Wrote:
(09-23-2020, 02:07 PM)SeekerofChrist Wrote:  I wonder, if they're pretty close to practicing Biblical Judaism, if it might possible for a mass conversion of their community to the Catholic Faith, with their own "Samaritan Rite" that allows them to preserve the core of their culture?  I'm not saying any of that is likely.  It is also well beyond my pay grade but it just occurred to me.

I had a similar thought too, although, one would have to realize that many, if not most, of the Samaritans converted to Christianity 2,000 years ago. Kind of like how a large portion of the Jews did as well. Given that they claim to have had a population of 1,000,000 3,000 years ago.

I haven't watch the linked documentary, yet, but I did read a short bit on their history.  In addition to conversions to Christianity, there were also conversions to Islam.  They were also dealt a severe blow twice in the 500s, when they rebelled against the Eastern Roman Emperors and the subsequent imperial response killed large numbers of Samaritans.  On a more positive note, their numbers as of 2020 are 818 (according to Wikipedia).  If their genetic issues can be addressed, they might just survive.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
For anyone interested, here is a link that provides news about the Samaritans: http://www.thesamaritanupdate.com.  It never really occurred to me to think of "endangered peoples," just as you can have endangered species.  I strongly support preserving endangered species, so perhaps I'll look into threatened people groups and see what efforts are made to preserve them.  It really would be sad to see an entire population of people with such ancient roots completely vanish from the Earth.
- Pope St. Pius X

YouTube recommended this video to me. It gives an interesting overview of the history of the Samaritans.