Archbishop Viganò: Is Vatican II “Untouchable”?
(09-28-2020, 06:56 PM)Augustinian Wrote: Vatican II has become the new foundation of the faith built upon Modernist principles, those being the change of the basis by which we can know the faith. They have introduced, through the ambiguities of the Conciliar documents, an opportunity for subjectivism to reign rather than dogmatism. Which is why they have not truly dogmatically defined anything since Pius XII, because that would be against the liberal spirit of Modernist principles. And now, many Catholic traditionalists are playing by the rules of the Modernists by introducing their own subjective interpretation of post-Conciliar teachings and documents in accordance with the true Catholic faith, while at the same time, unwittingly, undermining those same Catholic doctrines surrounding many things, from the papacy, to obedience, to the role of Councils, to the Liturgy. And this is why I can see how some Traditionalists draw the line at a specific pontiff (John XXIII or Pius XII) to determine what constitutes true Catholic teaching. Because everything after the Council has become to disoriented that no one can discern where orthodoxy ends and heterodoxy begins.

What were once the pure, clear waters of Catholic doctrine have become murky by the introduction of the poison of subjectivism. To have Catholics suddenly purify the waters of Catholicism by questioning the taint of post-Conciliarism would undo these same subjectivist principles, which is what Abp. Vigano is calling for.

I think pretty much everything at Vatican II and afterward is best just ignored at this point.  I think trying to reconcile it with the Catholic Faith is a fruitless endeavor.  We're playing by the liberals' rules, whereby we accept the authority of the Council and post-conciliar teaching and interpret the Faith in light of the Council or try to water down the Council's teaching so as to fit with the Faith.  The problem, as you mention, is that this undermines aspects of the Faith.  Since when did mere laymen and laywomen interpret Ecumenical Councils?  We can't take our disagreements to Rome for an answer.  For example, if we as traditionalists dispute how to reconcile the Vatican II teaching on religious liberty with Catholic teaching on religious toleration, does anyone among us think that Francis will answer in anyway other than a liberal restatement of Vatican II's teaching (with a slight nod to "traditional teachings...modern age...pastoral...right to choose their religion...etc.")?  For whatever criticisms that can be leveled at Archbishop Vigano, I am glad that he is now openly raising these issues.  I pray that other churchmen will do the same.  I won't offer specific theories or possible solutions here in this thread but it is nice to see some of our shepherds finally awaken from the post-conciliar stupor and begin to speak against the errors that have infected the Catholic world for nearly 60 years now.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12
[-] The following 1 user Likes SeekerofChrist's post:
  • Augustinian

Messages In This Thread
RE: Archbishop Viganò: Is Vatican II “Untouchable”? - by SeekerofChrist - 09-28-2020, 07:20 PM