Archbishop Viganò: Is Vatican II “Untouchable”?
(09-28-2020, 08:04 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 07:44 PM)xsantiagox Wrote: I dont know canon law but wouldnt this create,or potentially create, a slippery slope to criticize other past councils? for example someone doesnt like the council of florence or carthage,etc.

Not unless it could be demonstrated that they contradicted past Councils, Papal teachings, and the Magisterium, as is easily demonstrated to any sane, logical mind concerning Vatican II.

Indeed.  I did my undergrad degree at a Catholic college.  As part of the curriculum, I had theology classes.  One thing that I learned about "conservative NO" Catholics from those classes is this: the theologically educated ones among their number (e.g. theology professors) actually acknowledge the above.  The hermeneutic of continuity proposed by Benedict XVI is actually called the hermeneutic of reform in continuity.  They know that there's no reconciliation between everything in Vatican II and what was taught pre-Vatican II.  They therefore acknowledge that genuine changes occurred at Vatican II (religious liberty is a notable example) but that, somehow, this is still in continuity (but not identical) to Catholic Tradition.  What does that really mean?  I don't think anyone knows but they claim something along the lines of "developing Tradition in different directions" or some such nonsense.  A change is a change, not a development, and therefore there can be no continuity.  It is a "spirit of Tradition" instead of the "spirit of Vatican II," and is full of equally dubious, nonsensical errors.  Not too surprisingly, this little revelation during my undergrad days helped turn me against the conservative NO option.  There can be no contradictions or changes in the Church's doctrine. To say otherwise, whether as a liberal NO or a conservative NO, is to admit, at least implicitly, that evolutionary doctrinal change is possible and the Church is as fallible any other institution.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12
[-] The following 3 users Like SeekerofChrist's post:
  • Augustinian, Ioannes_L, jovan66102

Messages In This Thread
RE: Archbishop Viganò: Is Vatican II “Untouchable”? - by SeekerofChrist - 09-28-2020, 08:43 PM